Imaginary friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shadetree said:
madera23 said:
If you do not tell people the truth.

you hurt them and do not help them.
Madera

Thats very true, but you can also do that in a kind and loving way and dont get angry when people dont agree with you. Not everybody is going to agree in this life, thats one thing i do know for sure. If you want to tell people about God witness to them through love and compassion for them not by pitching a fit and storming out. How does that represent God? Im not being down on you btw just telling you some truth youre so fond of.

God bless and best wishes to you but seriously consider what i said. I dont know you and its not my business just trying to be honest. Hope you have a good night.

I am afraid you don't know what god's love is sir. We probably have different gods.
Perhaps you need to look at your own nature of pitching a fit and storming out.
Madera

shadetree said:
In my opinion its not really weird at all to have an imaginary friend especially if people in life arent meeting your needs as far as companionship.

Needing friends is one of the most basic human needs there is and if its not met the mind tries to fill that gap as best it can. Ive dealt with this myself, its been some years back now but mine came about from when i would go on chatrooms when i first started using the internet this is way back in the nineties btw. Anyway id go on chatrooms and things and it would sort of naturally fall into the conversation as a joke character in a way.

It was a purple flying cat named raul, or i guess i should say IS, because to me hes very much still alive in my heart. Ive been alone and felt lonely a VERY long time and i think if thats what you need to do to deal with it thats fine, as long as it doesnt hurt anybody and its not affecting you making connections with flesh and blood people. Whats it hurt to have a little imagination alive and well in the world?Even flying around? Also whos to say its NOT real?

My favorite scientific theory is that of quantum physics and talking about alternate or mirror universes and there being so many that anything we could imagine could be real, you could be president you could be batman, or a supermodel, or a bank robber or even have a friend like youre imagining.

If youre interested in reading more about it check it out, its pretty trippy stuff.

http://rt.com/usa/202255-many-interacting-worlds-quantum-mechanics/

Also think about most famous writers whove created characters that they brought to life on stage and screen or on the pages of books. Those "imaginary" characters live and breathe in those stories and people give them life by their following the story. They may not be real in a conventional sense but to me they are some of the realest people i know. Stories have saved my sanity many a time, in whatever format they are given in, video games, books, movies even song. So i say that imaginary is all a matter of opinion, and opinion is in no way shape or form fact, its merely belief. Mankind is just now stepping out of the dark ages in all honesty so we dont have an inkling most times what were talking about, we assume what people in history told us as correct but that doesnt make it necessarily so. We could wake up tomorrow and this whole lfie was a dream. ANYTHING is possible, anything.

I think i could picture clive barker or stephen king or hp lovecraft, or even jrr tolkien having not one but MANY imaginary friends that they brought endless joy to generations of readers and fans along with all the other authors, playwrights etc.

Also to the person talking about jesus and being so hateful, im a christian myself and i dont know who youre talking about but the God i follow doesnt promote talking down to people and being rude and hateful to them to "change their mind". Thats religion youre throwing out, its got very little to do with God. Religion minus God is for naught. He doesnt want us to hate one another or be cruel, he wants us to help and love one another and forgive each other not beat each other down when we dont agree about something. Please think about that.

The following is a picture of my friend raul lol.

:raul holds up a sign that reads in big comic letters HOWDY!

Raul.jpg

If an imaginary friend is meeting your needs I would like suggest that you get a faithful dog.
No needing friends is not one of a humans basic needs. It is the need of an unfilled soul that is basic.

To quote your latest remarks:
"Also to the person talking about jesus and being so hateful, im a christian myself and i dont know who youre talking about but the God i follow doesnt promote talking down to people and being rude and hateful to them to "change their mind". Thats religion youre throwing out, its got very little to do with God. Religion minus God is for naught. He doesnt want us to hate one another or be cruel, he wants us to help and love one another and forgive each other not beat each other down when we dont agree about something. Please think about that. End of quote.

If you are a Christian you would know that Jesus does talk down to people. Was He rude?, no, he was giving them love and compassion .You had better go to your bible where he Is calling people, vipers and much more.
You don't know what love and compassion are. Telling people it is okay to have invisible friends is not love, it is destructive.
Please get a dog if you want a friend.
Madera

I always wondered what it would be like to have an imaginary friend...but I was too busy talking to myself most of the time. Bilingual even in my later years. :p
As others said before: We all got ways to deal with things and I don't see any harm in it as long as you're aware of the imaginary nature of your friend.

Hell, I believe they're a lot cooler than the majority of real-life people.

Oh, right...one last thing.

Hail Satan. :D

JHK said:
I have my normal self and my crazy self. We talk and argue and insult all the time. I'm not sure which one is more of a dick yet.

Both
[/quote]

Such hostility does little to promote your religious views.
[/quote]

I'm not religious. How was I being hostile?

h3donist said:
Thank you for your responses.

Maybe I am, but I don't consider myself crazy at all - I consider it a coping mechanism - they same way as people throw glasses at the wall or have a stress ball or indeed talk to "Jesus". So what if I'm an adult with an imaginary friend? that's the best about being adult, I can do what I want to do.

nobody knows (except for you lot) about Shanice, as I know that if I admitted it to my family or friends they would not understand. I know she isn't real - that's the difference between crazyness and sanity. Indeed religious people consider whatever deity they subscribe to to be very real indeed. Some societies would ostrasise you or worse if you said you didn't believe! Pretty sure if I went to certain parts of the world and told the locals that the god they believe in is a load of trash and they need to seek help, I'd be killed. But yet apparently that's more acceptable than me having Shanice lying with me, gazing at the stars? I'm sat in my office at work now, and she is currently right by me, playfully throwing things at my head with a mischievous look on her face. When I come back to the office, she might still be here, or she might have gone and I won't see her again for ages. She might disappear altogether, who knows?

I guess the risk of admitting things like this in public is that very few people share my point of view and so I risk making myself seem strange, which is what has happened, but I'm not hurting anybody, or myself.

Someone, somwhere, is always going to think we are wrong/crazy/weird because we are different from them.
I think humans by nature are sort of a herd animal. If you don't have anyone to talk too, why not make it for the sake of sanity? Seems harmless to me.
I tend to deal with other ways - some good, some bad. Maybe I should have one.

JHK said:
I'm not religious. How was I being hostile?

Could you have got lost in all the nested quoting? I took Amthorn's reply to be directed at madera23.

JHK said:
I have my normal self and my crazy self. We talk and argue and insult all the time. I'm not sure which one is more of a dick yet.

madera23 said:

Amthorn said:
Such hostility does little to promote your religious views.

Minus said:
Could you have got lost in all the nested quoting? I took Amthorn's reply to be directed at madera23.

Probably. It doesn't much matter now anyway lol
Thanks though. I'm blaming the pain pills. I've had a stupid day.

I've only been a member of this site three days and someone who replied to my post has been banned, lol! Although by the looks of things it's not the first time he/she has been spoken to about their remarks so good riddance ;)

I guess being an author means I have an inquisitive mind and so I find it easy to invent situations and characters in my mind, even to bringing them to life. Shanice knows she only exists in my mind, and is actually quite sad about that as she wants to be real. I can't draw a picture of her but I'm going to find a photograph of a girl who looks like her....

h3donist said:
I've only been a member of this site three days and someone who replied to my post has been banned, lol! Although by the looks of things it's not the first time he/she has been spoken to about their remarks so good riddance ;)

I guess being an author means I have an inquisitive mind and so I find it easy to invent situations and characters in my mind, even to bringing them to life. Shanice knows she only exists in my mind, and is actually quite sad about that as she wants to be real. I can't draw a picture of her but I'm going to find a photograph of a girl who looks like her....

Have you considered one of those "create a character," websites? Those are usually pretty good. Of course, most of them will make her look animated, but it's something.

So I have hesitation believing in anything like the secret, magic, prayer, etc… however I don't totally discount any of it because anything is possible, I'm just saying that based on my experience with all that jazz nothing really worked for me.

However…
My friend said that I was doing it wrong. She said that the key to getting what you want is not to wish for it but instead to believe that you already have it.

Apparently ( according to her theory) by wanting it too much you are giving it your negative energy and the energy of " lack of " … but by imagining you already have it you are giving it the positive energy of " having ".

I might try this one day, just not right now lol.

I think for the reasons above, maybe its ok to be having an imaginary friend even though it is sort of bizarre and maybe a sign of some sort of psychological issues in an adult but most people are some sort of crazy now days so to each is own.

So hey, maybe there is some order to the world after all… although I doubt it, but as long as you're not harming anyone or yourself, then go for it. For all we know maybe all the creative storyteller in the world have imaginary friends and have just never told anyone for fear of being called crazy.

As a matter of fact, this could actually be an interesting way to develop a character for a story.

Anyway,

Whoever made the flying cat is very talented. Its full of personality and pretty amazing.

I don't know if it's healthy, but the world isn't healthy.

Sometimes I lay with a pillow while watching a movie and pretend it's a person. God knows I'm not getting anyone really human to come near me if I can't provide a service. The last several people I reached out to in person either ignored me, avoided me, or simply disappeared from class and didn't keep in touch.

I'm repulsive, but there's nothing I can do about that. I don't hurt anyone, I don't steal, I work hard to contribute to society, I've spent hours reading about social skills, I've spent years fighting anxiety, and if I want to hug a pillow to settle my nervous system down I **** well will. None of us deserve honeysuckle for it. At least I'm not repulsive in character, and I don't tell 13-year-olds to go kill themselves or mouth off to tired servers at restaurants.

So what if I have psychological issues? I have them because of the way the world treated me. I was born no better or worse than anyone else, and lived through neglect, violence, and isolation while other children frolicked with their happy families, plentiful household incomes, and many friends. Their flaws never became the "justification" for their suffering, because at least they're a normal narcissist or a normal cheater. Great for them. I still don't deserve their honeysuckle.

Tealeaf said:
I don't know if it's healthy, but the world isn't healthy.

Sometimes I lay with a pillow while watching a movie and pretend it's a person. God knows I'm not getting anyone really human to come near me if I can't provide a service. The last several people I reached out to in person either ignored me, avoided me, or simply disappeared from class and didn't keep in touch.

I'm repulsive, but there's nothing I can do about that. I don't hurt anyone, I don't steal, I work hard to contribute to society, I've spent hours reading about social skills, I've spent years fighting anxiety, and if I want to hug a pillow to settle my nervous system down I **** well will. None of us deserve honeysuckle for it. At least I'm not repulsive in character, and I don't tell 13-year-olds to go kill themselves or mouth off to tired servers at restaurants.

I have pillow friends too and stuffed animal friends.. I pretend my pets understand me and imagine other people are with me too. [Not made-up imaginary friends, but real people that I wish I could talk to.]

[Also, I really like your icon and your username is super cute >,<]
I'm sure you're a wonderful person, but frankly that doesn't matter to most in reality.

What's with the evil spirit guy? I think he needs to talk to someone. He's crazier than I am. :) Bottom line, this forum should be safe place for this kind of talk. I'm glad that guy was banned.

I don't see anything wrong with imaginary friends, I see something wrong with loneliness and if an imaginary friend alleviates that feeling just a little, then more power to you.

I talk to myself quite often. Sometimes I stop myself after I see my dog looking at me strange. Sometimes just expressing feelings or thoughts verbally helps when you don't have anyone to express them to.

I've always wanted an imaginary friend that I could talk to any time I wanted and who would say the things I needed to hear.

Thank you everybody - such a great range of responses and I'm not feeling so crazy now :)

I can't really offer any advice about getting one of their own, as Shanice pretty much just came to me when I was lying in bed alone. Suddenly the pillow I was holding became her and I suddenly feel alone anymore. From that day she's always appeared whenever I need her. She's a coping mechanism for lack of companionship, just the same as a city executive having a Newton's Cradle or a stressball on his desk, or someone who keeps a canary.

Hopefully they don't treat the canary like they do the stress ball.

I have 3 imaginary friends. They're all female, I've has my main for over 10 years, the second for around 5 and the third for about 1 and a half years. I visit my main one every day and the other two come around occasionally. They help me through stuff, comfort me and keep me company when no one else is around. I love them and don't know what I'd do with out them

MysticSolstice said:
I have 3 imaginary friends. They're all female, I've has my main for over 10 years, the second for around 5 and the third for about 1 and a half years. I visit my main one every day and the other two come around occasionally. They help me through stuff, comfort me and keep me company when no one else is around. I love them and don't know what I'd do with out them

That's lovely :) I'm glad you have the companionship you need

Latest posts

Back