Infatuation vs Love

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so can you love someone from afar ? Love them without actually having a relationship ? Say someone from work ?
Or is that infatuation ?

"Infatuation is the state of being completely carried away by unreasoned passion or love" ... since we work with links from the internet.

So, I would say the difference could be: One is love itself, the other is the product of it.
The really funny thing is: Infatuation is said to be a thing of the time... it won't be forever, so it will end sooner or later. Love on the other hand can hold as close as forever (until death), even while it often shares the same fate.

Still it is hard to make a difference, since it is very close. I would say: Does it really matter?

p.s. According to this article, the difference is that different regions in the brain are active, so it is a question for your neurologist. :)

i think I have been in love 6 times ! Never got a date with any of them !

Infatuation = doing things for someone because you want them to notice you.

Love = doing things for someone because you want them to be happy.

It all comes down to sacrifice and when you don’t see it like that, that’s when you’re in love.

I always felt that infatuation was more about how the object of your affection made you feel as opposed to love being about how you make the object of your affection feels.
When I want someone because they make me happy, then I'm infatuated.
When I care about how another person feels, regardless of how it affects me (fly away, little bird!), then I love them.

And then there is lust ... *sigh*

I always felt that infatuation and lust kinda tied in together. It's all new and exciting, then dies down after some time.

Love is something that grows.. and it may or may not always happen after the infatuation stage. If you were simply friends, then love can happen all by itself. You don't need lust for it to start, but I'm thinking...to be honest with you..you need to be friends first. If you don't know the person...how could it possibly be love... romantic love at least. Wanting to devote yourself to this person kinda love..

Okiedokes said:
I always felt that infatuation and lust kinda tied in together. It's all new and exciting, then dies down after some time.

Love is something that grows.. and it may or may not always happen after the infatuation stage. If you were simply friends, then love can happen all by itself. You don't need lust for it to start, but I'm thinking...to be honest with you..you need to be friends first. If you don't know the person...how could it possibly be love... romantic love at least. Wanting to devote yourself to this person kinda love..
I dunno.
I've lusted after men I wasn't infatuated with. I barely knew them but was physically attracted to them.
I've also been infatuated with men whose personality lit me up. How they made me feel wasn't purely physical - I wanted them in my life because they made everything brighter.

I don't think there is a clear-cut difference between the two.

Infatuation can be a part of love; in fact it might be necessary to some degree.

Latest posts

Back