Intimacy and Paranoia

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am terrified to be intimate with the people I know. I realized this after I was reflecting on why I was pushing my friends out of my life, which also traveled into the realm of family. I feel like people will misinterpret who I am if I tell them. They would think I was crazy or a monster, and they would hurt me or run away. I can't covince myself otherwise (tried, but it's fruitless arguing with me over these matters), but I really want to. I just seems like such a stupid worry to have, but it is there.

Please...I need advice, help...

I had that problem for awhile. A long string of friendships and relationships with people who degraded me, betrayed my privacy and my trust, picked at my weaknesses, and yet somehow put all the blame on me made me believe I was a violent, uncontrollable monster on the inside who liked disgusting things and had disgusting feelings. Something distinctly undesirable that needed to be locked up inside the relatively normal exterior where it couldn't hurt anyone and nobody could hurt the little fraction of it that was my consciousness cowering in the far corner.

I think the solution is to see with your own eyes people who see you and do not treat you as a monster or as subhuman, but considering that the problem in the first place is fear of allowing anyone that glimpse it's easier said than done. For me, at first, it was simply because I was breaking down emotionally and anyone who saw me could see that pain. I hid, but one or two people saw me and helped to correct the damage over the course of a few painful years of me exposing myself and receiving positive reactions instead of the horror and blame I expected.

It's a sickness. And whether you caught it or created it yourself recognize that's what it is and that it's cloaking the rest of you to yourself, all of that human being behind a veil of monster.

Tealeaf said:
I had that problem for awhile. A long string of friendships and relationships with people who degraded me, betrayed my privacy and my trust, picked at my weaknesses, and yet somehow put all the blame on me made me believe I was a violent, uncontrollable monster on the inside who liked disgusting things and had disgusting feelings. Something distinctly undesirable that needed to be locked up inside the relatively normal exterior where it couldn't hurt anyone and nobody could hurt the little fraction of it that was my consciousness cowering in the far corner.

I think the solution is to see with your own eyes people who see you and do not treat you as a monster or as subhuman, but considering that the problem in the first place is fear of allowing anyone that glimpse it's easier said than done. For me, at first, it was simply because I was breaking down emotionally and anyone who saw me could see that pain. I hid, but one or two people saw me and helped to correct the damage over the course of a few painful years of me exposing myself and receiving positive reactions instead of the horror and blame I expected.

It's a sickness. And whether you caught it or created it yourself recognize that's what it is and that it's cloaking the rest of you to yourself, all of that human being behind a veil of monster.

I was thinking about this last night, and I came to the same conclusion: I need to break. I need to show someone what I really am, whether I be monster or not. If I don't, I am going to die trapped in my head, alone. So, I ask this question: how do I break myself down?

People are gonna judge you no matter what even if you're good and awesome to them or bad and creepy to them. It is harmful to not let some feelings out, even if you have to do it to yourself it's always good to let it out. To express yourself in some way.

I think feeling comfortable with people helps a lot. Try going someplace where you feel comfortable and secure. Maybe you'll be able to open up more.

Okiedokes said:
People are gonna judge you no matter what even if you're good and awesome to them or bad and creepy to them. It is harmful to not let some feelings out, even if you have to do it to yourself it's always good to let it out. To express yourself in some way.

I agree. Bottled things up for a long long time, and it almost destroyed me. But once I started to say how I felt, I got told to shut up. To 'man up' and keep quiet about my emotions. Yet another part of life I never seem to be able to get right ...

Latest posts

Back