Intimacy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucxb

Reaction score
For those that are interested & I dedicate this to Cavey and khaoz_ferox :p

When my ex & I went to counsel together I was instructed on types of intimacy. The most important being emotional and intellectual (the upper case I ~ intimacy) and then the physical (the lower case i ~ intimacy).

And for further study....

1. Recreational intimacy (sharing fun, hobbies, recreation; leisure; refills my wells of energy)
2. Intellectual intimacy (sharing the world of  ideas; a genuine touching of persons based on mutual respect for each other’s minds; e.g., reading, discussing, studying, learning)
3. Work intimacy (sharing common tasks, supporting each other in bearing responsibilities e.g., raising family, house, yard chores)
4. Commitment intimacy (togetherness derived from dedication to a common cause; values; e.g., Working together for a political cause)
5. Aesthetic intimacy (sharing experiences of beauty; e.g., music, nature, art, theater)
6. Communication intimacy (being honest, trusting, truthful, loving; giving constructive feedback) 
7. Emotional intimacy (sharing of significant feelings; touching of the innermost selves)
8. Creative intimacy (helping each other to grow, to be co-creators, not “reformers” of each other)
9. Sexual intimacy (sensual emotional satisfaction, experience of sharing and self-abandon in the physical merging of two persons, fantasies & desires)
10. Crisis intimacy (standing together in the major and minor tragedies of life; closeness in pain and problems)
11. Spiritual intimacy (the Awe-ness of sharing intimate concerns, the meanings of life, philosophies and religious experience)
12. Conflict intimacy (standing up with/to each other; facing and struggling with differences together; ”fighting”)

Okay so as I started reading this post, Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On" started playing, do you think that means anything? :D
Frankly it just made me feel a little awkward. I feel fine now Blink 182 is on now, never mind. :)

Thank ucxb as I have never seen a list of I/intimacies like this. Very interesting. I had always thought of intimacy as a type of connection, but never thought of it as different types.

Thanks for posting this, ucxb.

My ex-wife asked me to go to counselling and I resisted it over and over again until she eventually buggered off. We actually shared a huge amount of that list, but I know that towards the end I just sort of pulled down the shutters and pretended everything was OK.

I certainly didn't fight for our relationship and I didn't help her through anything that was causing her problems, because I was way too wrapped up in dealing with my own.

She was a perfect match for me in many ways, but I got way too comfortable and completely took her for granted. I hope one day I find someone else that is just as good a match.

Latest posts

Back