Intro

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinkPositive

Reaction score
I feel like this is an AA meeting or something, haha. (Not that I've ever been to one.) "Hi, my name is _____ and I'm a lonely person."

I'm female, American, in my mid-20s.

I never had trouble making friends when I was growing up -- I even had some serious mental health issues as a teen, and even then I had the fortune of having good, close, supportive friends who I don't know what I would have done without.

But ever since graduating from college 5 years ago and moving to a new city, it's been very difficult! At first I tried to be patient and tell myself it's because I'm in a new place, but it's been a long time. I eventually became cynical, and realized that the adult friendship world is different...people are just too preoccupied with their own lives. I did my best, taking the initiative, inviting people out, calling people, and being rejected repeatedly...not anything dramatic, but more of a passive disregard thing, like "Oh! Busy this week, maybe later!" (and they never get back to you even after I try to follow up), "Gee, I'm pretty tired," or even: "I forgot."

So I've given up. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit at home all day playing games. I have a nice, stable boyfriend. I love to go out and do stuff, explore, discover new things. I'm a runner and I'm in good shape. I play a couple instruments. I go to events. I volunteer. I have a ton of acquaintances from a bunch of activities. I'm not the life of the party or anything by far, but I get along with people easily and I like to make people laugh. I've learned to keep busy enough to not have to worry about not having close friends nearby.

But here's my current situation: I'm unemployed right now, and my boyfriend is gone for the summer. The first couple months of not working I was really enjoying the rest and free time, but that's worn off now. A lot of the old resentments (see 2 paragraphs ago) have crept back into my mind. I feel like I'm going crazy from all the time I have to myself, and the lack of social contact. I'm doing my best to keep busy by doing *something* every day, but an entire day is long when you're not working!

I'm trying to remind myself that this is temporary; I'm going to HAVE to find a new job (my wallet demands it too) and my boyfriend is going to be back. I know I'm fortunate to even have a boyfriend to miss. I'm trying to make the most of being alone, and I hope we can help each other here!

Wow, sorry about the length! (Is anyone going to read all that??)

lol, I read it all. :p

It actually sounds like you have a wonderful life, save for not having some close friends - I'm glad that you have that going for you. :)
It's VERY difficult to make friends as adults, for the very reason you quoted above. People are busy, sometimes with families of their own, have demanding jobs, etc. We have quite a few members here who do come here just for the social connections. It's nice to have adult conversations once in a while and the forum is usually a good place to hang around when you're bored. :D

Welcome!

EveWasFramed said:
lol, I read it all. :p

It actually sounds like you have a wonderful life, save for not having some close friends - I'm glad that you have that going for you. :)
It's VERY difficult to make friends as adults, for the very reason you quoted above. People are busy, sometimes with families of their own, have demanding jobs, etc. We have quite a few members here who do come here just for the social connections. It's nice to have adult conversations once in a while and the forum is usually a good place to hang around when you're bored. :D

Welcome!

Ha~! Er, I don't think I quite have the "wonderful life" being unemployed and all. Thanks for the validation though...going along with the username I picked, I really am trying to think positively and not get completely stuck in a rut. I'm happiest when I'm being an uber-productive busybody with lots on my schedule, and it's been pretty tough trying to figure out what to do with myself every day.

And believe me, I've had a lot of struggles (ie. I responded to the thread about someone's mom passing away because I can relate)... But, I know life is full of ups and downs and I'm trying to focus on the good things I have.

ThinkPositive said:
Ha~! Er, I don't think I quite have the "wonderful life" being unemployed and all.

lol..yeah, I guess that unemployment thing can really pee in a person's Frosted Flakes. :p lol, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was discounting any other struggles you may have, but reading back over it, it kind of looks that way. Apologies. :D

Hi ThinkPositive :)

ThinkPositive said:
Wow, sorry about the length! (Is anyone going to read all that??)

I read it, but I don't know what to say like most of the time :p

*hugs*

Latest posts

Back