Introduction

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iSurf

Greetings A Lonely Life,

I decided to join this community for the same reason as the majority of users... I've pretty much been alone my entire life and I usually don't feel like I have much of a place in the world. I have depression and social and anxiety as a result of being alienated from society. I have my ups and downs, but I always tell myself to stay the same and hopefully it will all come around.

I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in health promotion and its been a major move to leave the coast of Florida to live in the Mid-West right now. When I was in Florida I was at least to able surfboard as a way to cope with loneliness and overall wellbeing, but now that I'm land-locked things are a lot tougher now. Its somewhat ironic I'm trying to pursue a career in health when I'm obviously not very healthy in terms of my emotional and social health... Truthfully I don't really care about what kind of job I get, as I find fault in everything. I just really hope that I can live closer to the ocean again, but I don't think thats a possibility.

So in terms of loneliness, I think I've been alone my whole life because I lack social skills, I do not drink alcohol (and thats pretty much the only thing university students do), and just a sense of indifference to the world. I feel like I relate to Vincent Van Gough, except I'm not a creative artist... I'm just a student that has pretty much accomplished nothing in life.

Anyhow, didn't mean to come off so negatively... just being honest. Hopefully I'll get a better feel for using the forums in the future.

Hi.

Is there any other hobby/activity that you feel you could take up to try and help yourself?

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the lonely army. Here you will find weapons to fight loneliness, and strength in numbers. Do not despair weary traveler, you are among friends.

Thanks everyone!

I said:
Hi.

Is there any other hobby/activity that you feel you could take up to try and help yourself?

Hey I'm Fine, I think I saw you replied in my other thread. So I'm hoping to use my university's gym (which is free for students after all) to try get in better shape. I'm somewhat familiar with working out, I just always shy away from the gyms because of the low social comfort. In other words I'm the only normal looking person in there, everyone else is either the guy with 20 inch arms or the pencil thin girl etc. I'm just a short, scrawny grad student lol. I really want to get back into shape though for two reasons: To help improve my sleep patterns (as they've been just insane the last few months) and to just stay fit year round for surfing... but thats only if I'll ever get to go back home or to the ocean.

iSurf said:
Hey I'm Fine, I think I saw you replied in my other thread.

Yes, I did. Either us 'I' people have to stick together or you've just acquired yourself an ALL stalker. I'll let you decide..

iSurf said:
So I'm hoping to use my university's gym (which is free for students after all) to try get in better shape. I'm somewhat familiar with working out, I just always shy away from the gyms because of the low social comfort. In other words I'm the only normal looking person in there, everyone else is either the guy with 20 inch arms or the pencil thin girl etc. I'm just a short, scrawny grad student lol. I really want to get back into shape though for two reasons: To help improve my sleep patterns (as they've been just insane the last few months) and to just stay fit year round for surfing... but thats only if I'll ever get to go back home or to the ocean.

Sounds like a reasonable aim. I have to admit that the few times I tried joining gyms I couldn't go for much the same reason, far too self-conscious that I'm not the thin toned uber-model type girl that I think I'm supposed to be (and only was briefly until puberty hit me over the head with the ugly stick)

Is there some reason why you WON'T be able to go home or find a place near an ocean once you've finished your studies?

I said:
Hey I'm Fine, I think I saw you replied in my other thread.

Yes, I did. Either us 'I' people have to stick together or you've just acquired yourself an ALL stalker. I'll let you decide..

Sounds like a reasonable aim. I have to admit that the few times I tried joining gyms I couldn't go for much the same reason, far too self-conscious that I'm not the thin toned uber-model type girl that I think I'm supposed to be (and only was briefly until puberty hit me over the head with the ugly stick)

Is there some reason why you WON'T be able to go home or find a place near an ocean once you've finished your studies?
[/quote]

Haha, I do like the "I" names. So the reason going back home is a bit more complicated is because my father is renting our house in Florida to another family so that their rent money can pay for my rent up here. I'm about 1100 miles away from Florida, which is where I consider home to be (but technically I'm originally from outside the United States). I have my car up here with me in the Mid-West, so even if I fly back home I'm dependent on transportation and have to stay at someone else's house. Its so weird how complicated things can get in just a few months. I just have this dream that in 2012 when I'm looking for an internship I can find one in a city near the ocean again, but it seems futile as all the major jobs are in large cities. I'm going to send you a private message to better explain things.

Yeah, with the gym I definitely have had a negative experience there. Its always the body builders or ridiculously thin women that dominate it and it makes someone like myself feel worthless. I'm small, thin man and obviously by society's standards I'm not good enough since I'm not tall and muscular blah blah. I'm hoping to somehow stick with it, but its so hard to take that first step to get in there and then to not feel self conscious. Sigh.

I know it's not much to contribute to the discussion, but: fresia society's standards. Seriously. Be your own man, and let society try to grapple with you in your overwhelming magnificence.

Borodin said:
I know it's not much to contribute to the discussion, but: fresia society's standards. Seriously. Be your own man, and let society try to grapple with you in your overwhelming magnificence.

Actually that does say a lot to the discussion, makes me feel better that other people are decent minded. Hope you're well.

Again thanks everyone for the welcome.

Latest posts

Back