Is he for real...or a koala?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysigh

Reaction score
I received a message on that new dating site I recently posted about, and I'm a bit suspicious...from what I can tell in his online pic, this is not the usual toothless oaf I normally get contacted by -- he's actually really good looking! and I was *real* excited when I got his first message...then I read it, and, well, quite frankly, I don't think he's for real. Here's what he says (moderators, I hope this is legal to do as I've stripped out all the personal info):

First of all, let me start by saying that I was blown away by your profile .I guess there was no need for ME to worry about overwhelming YOU with my e-mail… I have always been a hopeful romantic longing to find THE ONE that I knew must be out there, and I am truly amazed and grateful that i came across your profile.. That is definitely one thing to thank technology for! No matter where this goes, I feel so blessed to have gotten see a beautiful woman like you and will love to meet you and to get to know you better..My subscription will be ending soon and don't intend to go for another plan because they seems to be too many weirdo's on the web..You're such a very beautiful and charming woman and am sure you hear that everyday, why in the world is a very beautiful woman like you still single? Life's too short not to be happy and it's what you decide to make it. I'm creative and outgoing, strong and independent, I take care of those I love but don't mind being cared for in return.I am athletic, well toned and love the physical as well as the cerebral chemistry in a partner and know you need both to be attractive.I can make you laugh and introduce you to something new almost every day.I am not sure how often i can get on here but i do check my e-mail very often,if you would like to give me a chance to be your friend, You can IM me on . Even if it just to say Hi ... I will write you back to let you know that i got your email... I really look forward to hearing back from you soon, Have a wonderful day.. [/i]

So why am I suspicious? Well, I sum it up in my response to him:

[i]Let me see here...I've got four sentences in my profile, certainly nothing to "blow away" anyone...and I'm not "very beautiful" as has been pointed out repeatedly by men on these dating sites ("you've gotta lower your standards because you're no catch yourself"). Also absent is any reference to the specific points I do make in my profile...for instance, are you also looking to date a person of the same political affiliation? are you also from outside this area? are you also a designer? All this leads me to believe --and apologies if I'm wrong --that your message was just copied/pasted over from somewhere else (or even computer-generated). Sorry but that really is how it appears...one harsh lesson these sites have taught me is if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.[/i]

Yes, I was being harsh, but this is what ten years of online dating has done to me. I hit "send" realizing he could be genuine and have every right to be offended as hell and tell me off...Here's his response:

[i]Thank you for your message, am very happy to hear from you,I really don't mind if we can chat online yahoo and get to know more about our selves.If you are always available on yahoo pls kindly add me to your buddy list .When i read from you, I'm was happy because it seems to me that an Angel has just written me. You have all the qualities that a man need and i guess a man like me.I've been divorced for 3years, Since then, I've not dated much because i feel its better to find a real woman who will be with you forever, than a woman who will just be with you for a while your beauty is beyond something i could speak about because i believe God took an extra ordinary time to make you look the most beautiful way.. I just wish we were closer, so i can tell you all this looking straight into your eyes.. Life's too short not to be happy and it's what you decide to make it. I'm creative and outgoing, strong and independent, I take care of those I love but don't mind being cared for in return.I am athletic, well toned and love the physical as well as the cerebral chemistry in a partner and know you need both to be attractive. I can make you laugh and introduce you to something new almost every day.I am not sure how often i can get on here but i do check my e-mail very often,if you would like to give me a chance to be your friend, You can IM me on xxx Even if it just to say Hi ... I will write you back to let you know that i got your email... I really look forward to hearing back from you soon, Have a wonderful day.. [/i]

Um, did this guy even *read* my response??? Again, NO references to what's in my profile, in fact he just regurgitates his first message.

So...is it real or memorex? (yeah I know some of you won't know what that means, gawd I'm old!) Do I email him again? go ahead and put him in my IM list? or completely ignore from here on?

dk1967 said:
I received a message on that new dating site I recently posted about, and I'm a bit suspicious...from what I can tell in his online pic, this is not the usual toothless oaf I normally get contacted by -- he's actually really good looking! and I was *real* excited when I got his first message...then I read it, and, well, quite frankly, I don't think he's for real. Here's what he says (moderators, I hope this is legal to do as I've stripped out all the personal info):

First of all, let me start by saying that I was blown away by your profile .I guess there was no need for ME to worry about overwhelming YOU with my e-mail… I have always been a hopeful romantic longing to find THE ONE that I knew must be out there, and I am truly amazed and grateful that i came across your profile.. That is definitely one thing to thank technology for! No matter where this goes, I feel so blessed to have gotten see a beautiful woman like you and will love to meet you and to get to know you better..My subscription will be ending soon and don't intend to go for another plan because they seems to be too many weirdo's on the web..You're such a very beautiful and charming woman and am sure you hear that everyday, why in the world is a very beautiful woman like you still single? Life's too short not to be happy and it's what you decide to make it. I'm creative and outgoing, strong and independent, I take care of those I love but don't mind being cared for in return.I am athletic, well toned and love the physical as well as the cerebral chemistry in a partner and know you need both to be attractive.I can make you laugh and introduce you to something new almost every day.I am not sure how often i can get on here but i do check my e-mail very often,if you would like to give me a chance to be your friend, You can IM me on . Even if it just to say Hi ... I will write you back to let you know that i got your email... I really look forward to hearing back from you soon, Have a wonderful day.. [/i]

So why am I suspicious? Well, I sum it up in my response to him:

[i]Let me see here...I've got four sentences in my profile, certainly nothing to "blow away" anyone...and I'm not "very beautiful" as has been pointed out repeatedly by men on these dating sites ("you've gotta lower your standards because you're no catch yourself"). Also absent is any reference to the specific points I do make in my profile...for instance, are you also looking to date a person of the same political affiliation? are you also from outside this area? are you also a designer? All this leads me to believe --and apologies if I'm wrong --that your message was just copied/pasted over from somewhere else (or even computer-generated). Sorry but that really is how it appears...one harsh lesson these sites have taught me is if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.[/i]

Yes, I was being harsh, but this is what ten years of online dating has done to me. I hit "send" realizing he could be genuine and have every right to be offended as hell and tell me off...Here's his response:

[i]Thank you for your message, am very happy to hear from you,I really don't mind if we can chat online yahoo and get to know more about our selves.If you are always available on yahoo pls kindly add me to your buddy list .When i read from you, I'm was happy because it seems to me that an Angel has just written me. You have all the qualities that a man need and i guess a man like me.I've been divorced for 3years, Since then, I've not dated much because i feel its better to find a real woman who will be with you forever, than a woman who will just be with you for a while your beauty is beyond something i could speak about because i believe God took an extra ordinary time to make you look the most beautiful way.. I just wish we were closer, so i can tell you all this looking straight into your eyes.. Life's too short not to be happy and it's what you decide to make it. I'm creative and outgoing, strong and independent, I take care of those I love but don't mind being cared for in return.I am athletic, well toned and love the physical as well as the cerebral chemistry in a partner and know you need both to be attractive. I can make you laugh and introduce you to something new almost every day.I am not sure how often i can get on here but i do check my e-mail very often,if you would like to give me a chance to be your friend, You can IM me on xxx Even if it just to say Hi ... I will write you back to let you know that i got your email... I really look forward to hearing back from you soon, Have a wonderful day.. [/i]

Um, did this guy even *read* my response??? Again, NO references to what's in my profile, in fact he just regurgitates his first message.

So...is it real or memorex? (yeah I know some of you won't know what that means, gawd I'm old!) Do I email him again? go ahead and put him in my IM list? or completely ignore from here on?
[/quote]

I've actually seen this before lol. It was some years ago. It was just a set of auto-responses (bot).... but I can't remember for what type of scam, sorry.

I think that your first respond to him was too harsh and negative. I can see how such response could scare away some normal men.
But for my taste there is a bit too much sugar in his words to be taken seriously. And he even repeated the same paragraph twice. You can still give him a chance and talk to him briefly. But be careful and don't expect anything.

You're right, Sprint, I just googled "bot scams zoosk" and the very first link has an almost identical post to mine...
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15308

And STH, I am aware my response was harsh but as a responder in the above link points out, "Looking for love online is certainly a tricky business nowadays and you have to be cautious and careful." Clearly I was right to err on the harsh side.

Spammers have no good english. Dat be how you can tellz itz them,dat and et sounds automated.

it's too general.

it's a scam.

and, it's cruel.

even if it 'were' real...

would you really want to date a guy who is a total creeper talking about how amazing your profile was after reading four sentences?

Okay, the consensus is its a koala--er, scam...what I'm not clear on is, what exactly is the scam? I mean, assuming I fell for it, what does he get out of it? My email address? I guess he could use it to send spam, but that seems kind of minor...is he after my name and address to apply for credit cards with? I'm googling this and not finding any details...

Email address I am guessing won't do much. He is after $$ probably. He might even be a bot. :eek:

The scam is in the email spam you'd get. Now, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't click any of it, but since these spam bots do it MASSIVELY, someone's gonna fall for it. And it's pretty much effortless for them, because bots are doing all the "work", so it's a net profit for any poor soul that gets fooled.

dk1967 said:
You're right, Sprint, I just googled "bot scams zoosk" and the very first link has an almost identical post to mine...
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15308

And STH, I am aware my response was harsh but as a responder in the above link points out, "Looking for love online is certainly a tricky business nowadays and you have to be cautious and careful." Clearly I was right to err on the harsh side.

Unfortunately I am. BTW your response was definitely not harsh at all. I thought you were kind to have even responded in the first place. Your response shows one that is wary - but still open-minded and hopeful.

SophiaGrace said:
Spammers have no good english. Dat be how you can tellz itz them,dat and et sounds automated.

The sad thing is, so menne peple talk liek diz, iss relly hrd 2 tell :D

Also to the OP: Some guy actually told you to "lower your standards"? What a dick. Every woman I've talked to that uses dating sites seems to run into at least one absolute idiot on them.

I even once had a female friend get borderline harrassed by this guy graphically asking for sexual favours, I found it quite disturbing and the stuff wasn't even aimed at me!

I wish you more luck in the future with it.

TheSolitaryMan said:
Also to the OP: Some guy actually told you to "lower your standards"? What a dick. Every woman I've talked to that uses dating sites seems to run into at least one absolute idiot on them.

More than just one guy did it. Here's a summary of my online dating experience.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I wish you more luck in the future with it.

Thanks but there's no future for me with online dating as I've had it -- 10 years, nothing but a waste of $$$ and huge disappointments. I've canceled all my accounts except OKC which is free, and I've been on zoosk one month and already know I'm not gonna renew it (I've posted two of my recent experiences here). I could post a ten page thread documenting what I went thru with this online dating hell; when I began I was in my mid-30s so at least I had some chance, now I'm officially too old. I could go into more detail but then I'll start sounding like a female Firebird85 ;)

On the other hand, he sounds like a very polite bot. I don't think we should be dismissing an AI which is trying his hardest to hit the dating scene and mingle with humans. Maybe even has an attractive robot body he possesses!

Its spam that lead to pay him some money a day. I get the same letters on my local date sites just from ladies and even my email they send pictures and what not..dont even write back at these scammers..some day your bank account will be ripped from money..

Some of these latters are even generated from google translate so i can read in danish..and it looks horrible

Latest posts

Back