Is it possible for loneliness to drive you insane?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desideriascott

Reaction score
I can feel myself slipping back into depression and it sucks. How do you over come loneliness when you have no family that you talk to and all your friends are bad and always end up leaving out of your life?
loneliness1.jpg

I think it's very possible for loneliness to drive you insane. I feel I'm heading that way myself.

As for the other points, I don't know and I'm afraid I have little or no positivity to offer.

I don't think I am qualified to give an answer. In some ways I am very sane and rational and at other times I am not so much but I don't remember if was lonely before my illnesses or because of and know I was reading the good book because I was lonely but the whens and wheres of when i got sick is not someting I know and I guess that is OK because you can be happy and lonely or is that alone a rather than lonely because I am a bit of loner I guess by choice besides who teases you for acting out Lord Of The Rings and doing the voices if there is no-one there and besides you have your imagination and a world of Middle Earth complete with its lore and mythology and all the characters come to life when you read it.
Sorry I hope that answers. Not sure what the question was.

Yeah loneliness can drive you insane..I read about likes of Ed Gein and Dennis Nielsen who left on their own did some serious honeysuckle..
To be honest I don't know how I've manged to stay sane after all this time(no laughter please).I take insanity to be where I am consciously no longer in control of my own actions and apart from a few drunken blackouts in my mid twenties I feel like of always been in control..
When I suffered from serious depression in my late teens I had mood swings,paranoia and intense moments of bleakness and hopelessness..but luckily a friend was studying psychology and pointed out these symptoms..So I got every psychology book I could get my hands on and now If these feelings appear at least I know what's going on and not have to drift around not knowing what the fresia is going on..

If you was insane you wouldn't know it..the pixies in my backyard tell me I'm OK..but sometimes they steal all my yellow clocks...

The word insane strikes me as a little too general and even slightly archaic in this day and age but if the question is; can loneliness have an adverse effect on a persons psycological well being, then the answer has to be a resounding yes. Likewise mental illness is almost certainly going to lead the patient into first hand experience of isolation.

I am afraid this will happen to me soon, if I don't find some friends and/or some sort of social life outside of my boyfriend. I'm really scared I'll die alone and be some crazy cat lady with all kinds of animals in my house to distract from my loneliness and isolation from other human beings.

Yeah. Being alone all day by yourself. I can feel myself falling into a routine of life and it's driving me crazy. Not to mention I feel bad when something disturbs my routine. I don't want this at all. I have $3000+ to my name. I'm thinking of moving to a new town and meeting all new people as a stranger. I'm terrible at making friends though...

Yea I'm afraid of this too. That being alone for so long has jeapordized any chance of moving out of this, and I'm only 19 for fresia's sake. Like I'll just drop out everything one day and wind up in a cardboard box, howling at the moon

i too fear this. my behavior and mood has changed a lot over the last 6 months or so. i feel like i am slipping away. i want someone to wake me up from this.

Carcass Raid said:
Yeah. Being alone all day by yourself. I can feel myself falling into a routine of life and it's driving me crazy. Not to mention I feel bad when something disturbs my routine. I don't want this at all. I have $3000+ to my name. I'm thinking of moving to a new town and meeting all new people as a stranger. I'm terrible at making friends though...

Fresh start hun? I'm with you, but you have to know that a new town won't change everything. You gotta change your mind too, and feel like; okay, that was the worst part of my life, I've learned from my mistakes, let's do it right now. That's how I'd do it.

bad stuff will always happen, but just like soldiers... march on.

best of luck to you sir.. I feel that you deserve it. :)

it can only drive you nuts if you let it! keep your mind busy even if there are no people to hang out with on a regular basis... read, exercise, chat, write.... you'll be fine... hey.. I'm lonely too, thats why I'm here. :p

I am alone mostly and I do pretty well I am happy and content for the most part. I think insane is a fairly broad term and I think the mmain thing is not whether someone "theoretically could be called insane but whether or not they are functional. Gollum was not functional and was clearly insane. But nowdays with meds he would probably be as "sane" as I am.
I don't know whether that made any sense. I don't like the term "insanity". It is limiting and derisive. :(.

desideriascott said:
I can feel myself slipping back into depression and it sucks. How do you over come loneliness when you have no family that you talk to and all your friends are bad and always end up leaving out of your life?
loneliness1.jpg

Sadly, yes, loneliness can drive you to places you really do not want to go. We are human, and humans need other humans. Oftentimes, when we think we are alone, we really are not. There are people around us who care about us, but we either think this is not so, or we fail to trust. Usually, we simply fail to trust.

Many of us are socially inept. We have trouble finding the rights words, or the right questions, and we often frame our thoughts in ways that are hard for others to understand. Loneliness does that... There are times when it is right to ask someone you care about if you can just talk, just ramble. The rambling is like a pot scrubber, it scours out all those thoughts that fly around, distorting the way you think and the perceptions you have.

The first step is to look at someone you care about and ask yourself, "Can I tell that person how I feel deep inside?"

The second step is to take a look in the mirror every day, look at yourself, and remind yourself of all you have done, survived, and that you are still here, still surviving, taking the time to marvel in that.

The third step is to step outside. Outside your room, and outside yourself. You will see things you had never seen before. You will feel things you had never felt before.

The fourth step is to find a counselor that suits you. Someone you feel comfortable with. Then you talk... Just talk...

Without other people, life is empty, frail, and very very tiring.

What qualifies me to say this?

I have a bachelor's degree in social work, a master's degree in social work, a master's degree in special education, and am working on a PhD in social work.

Have you studied Lord of the rings?
I read it a lot and it does somewhat breach the gap between people there and not people there

Yeah...I think it is a correct thing to say that loneliness can drive you to insanity.

Sadly, I have no advice for this, being in this problem as well. :/

Latest posts

Back