Is it possible to die from over-exercising?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryKoreanMan

Reaction score
my daily routine (its daily because i'm unemployed) consists of this:
I do about 2000 jump ropes a day
40 minutes exercise bike
~200 reps of an assortment of crunches/situps
and sometimes i'll go cycling for about 2-3 hours.

I also sweat like a waterfall in the arid australian conditions. so i try to stay rehydrated constantly.

I weighed myself today and found that i was 60 Kg, down from 66 Kg last week. which is quite a huge drop in weight for a week. I am wondering if my training is a bit excessive, because physically i feel fine

Oh and i'm 20 years old and 5'7

Anything is possible, especially if you have bad genetics, but it is unlikely. I'm willing to bet that healthcare is better in Australia than it is in the US, so see if you can get a physical to rule anything out.

What are your goals?

I would recommend not working the same muscle group two days in a row, or at least not go all out every day. It is not during the exercise that we build strength, speed and endurance, but during rest when our bodies are recovering.

I would also recommend eating more as your body needs the fuel (as much as your budget will allow, of course). You need not follow an specific diet, though I would avoid the obviously unhealthy such as deep fried food, food covered in cheese, and limit intake of red meat. Also, be sure to take at least a multivitamin.

Goals- realistically I only exercise to stay fit, but i would like to attain a psuedo-bruce lee physique.

Family has no history of genetic illnesses.
I do not smoke or drink alcohol

Diet:
breakfast-4 weetbix + ~200-300 mL of skim milk
lunch- 2 x (tuna+cheese(1 slice) toasted sandwich)
snack- can of tuna
dinner-rice and ???( random vegetables + mystery meat)

I also consume up to 4 bananas a day as a fuel source

I think i burn slightly more calories than i eat

I've been following a routine myself where I'll take 40 mins on an exercise bike. If I peddle hard I find I sweat a lot too.

I'd say as long as you feel okay, you're good. Just do be careful not to overdo it :)

1 stone is a lot to drop in a week (roughly what your 6kg is), but I find my weight can fluctuate up to half of that when I weigh myself just based on whether I've been eating or drinking and what particular time of day it is. So perhaps it's not as drastic as that, in which case it's fine ^^

I do pushups quite frequently, lately i've been urging myself to do more each time (though I've been slow and steady with it). Generally I stop when my chest feels slightly tight and breathless - I think that's the sort of "safe limit" for any exercise really.

So if you feel tired or like your muscles are starting to ache a lot, that's kind of the natural indicator that you need to slow down or stop in my mind. If you're feeling genuinely fine towards the end of your work out, I don't see why you'd need to cut back.

I weighed myself before and after at the same time. but yeah 6kg is a **** load for me that was like close to 1/11th my body weight

When i first started my routine over 3 weeks ago, i felt very sore on the first day so i started popping 2-3 fish oil tablets a day.
I have become relatively unfazed after each workout due to the omega 3 fatty acids anti inflammatory action.
If i suddenly discontinue this routine will that have any strange side effects?

AngryKoreanMan said:
I weighed myself before and after at the same time. but yeah 6kg is a **** load for me that was like close to 1/11th my body weight

When i first started my routine over 3 weeks ago, i felt very sore on the first day so i started popping 2-3 fish oil tablets a day.
I have become relatively unfazed after each workout due to the omega 3 fatty acids anti inflammatory action.
If i suddenly discontinue this routine will that have any strange side effects?

Well, I'm no expert, but I'd say you'd probably be okay to discontinue it. As long as you regulated what you eat in comparison to the lack of such strenuous activity.

I've cooled down with my exercise a lot and my body has stayed the same, because I built it up slowly (over 9+ months) and so there's a stability of state there.

I'd just recommend you do things slowly and steadily. That way your body adjusts and you'll remain fit even if you have a period off of the usual workout :)

OK thanks for the info. My body appears pretty cut, sort of like a skinnier manny pacquiao. I'd like to keep this physique so i guess i'll just cut everything else other than the jump rope. I love jump ropes

My middle name is Branden Lee (seriously) =P

On another note. Its fine but you have to make sure you get lots of protein so you aren't burning all of your muscle away with how much you exercise.

AngryKoreanMan said:

How long does it take you for just that?

Also, I agree with Kamya about the proteins. Supremely important if you don't want to train all these muscles just to see them melt from a lack of proteins.

kamya said:
My middle name is Branden Lee (seriously) =P

On another note. Its fine but you have to make sure you get lots of protein so you aren't burning all of your muscle away with how much you exercise.

You my love, have an awesome name!!

Arsenic Queen said:
AngryKoreanMan said:

How long does it take you for just that?

Also, I agree with Kamya about the proteins. Supremely important if you don't want to train all these muscles just to see them melt from a lack of proteins.

i can do about 300 jumps in ~3-4 minutes, the recovery time between each burst is 3 minutes also. Its relatively easy to do this much when you're a youngster :D

I eat a lot of tuna so thats pretty much all my protein

uh-huh. I'm old. I must not pay too much attention to your exploits, your speed and quantity will give me a complex.

tuna sounds like a good idea, but shouldn't you vary your menu a little more?

you could probably do about 80 jumps/minute at your age but i'm no physiologist

The tuna is bought in bulk and its dirt cheap. I'm no nutritionist, so what foods are good?

Also, I'm not sure if it is accurate or not but according to the exercise bike monitor i burn ~1000 calories each time so i'll be sure to cut that down.

1000 on the exercise bike. that sounds like a LOT of time on the exercise bike. my a** would hurt.

Latest posts

Back