Is sorry enough?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenInside

Reaction score
Sometimes the wound is so deep that merely being sorry can't repair the damage.

That is true but at least try and still care about that person, depending on who it is.

Sometimes being sorry is enough, sometimes it isn't. But its usually at least a good start.

True, I suppose it's down to how much they mean to you.

If the sorry is genuine, then it's enough. If the one who has to forgive the person is too weak to do so, then that's his/her problem, don't shove it on the one saying sorry.

Yes Naleena!

Lilith and Mike, what if this person is just being sorry and not trying to make up for it?

Rosebolt and Locke, i read it somewhere "It takes a strong heart to say sorry and a much stronger heart to forgive." Do you agree?

Yeah I agree with you. Sometimes just saying sorry is never enough.
Especially if they hurt you, and you don't think you can ever trust them again.

Hope things work out for you in this situation.
*hug*

I agree, saying sorry can be said too easily and the words not truly felt or meant. If someone is truly sorry they should try and show it in some way.

I get the 'it takes a stronger heart to forgive' yes you might forgive in time but most people never forget and i think that can sometimes hurt most of all.

BrokenInside said:
Lilith and Mike, what if this person is just being sorry and not trying to make up for it?

Presuming it's a problem that requires more than someone just being sorry, I'd like to think that they should know this, and if not then they don't know you as well as you may know them.

If it's something that is really important to you then you gotta think weather it's better to end this relationship... predictably they'll probably realize too late as is so often the case.

If any of that makes sense.

BrokenInside said:
Yes Naleena!

Rosebolt and Locke, i read it somewhere "It takes a strong heart to say sorry and a much stronger heart to forgive." Do you agree?

I do agree with that, BrokenInside. If nothing else, sometimes its important to forgive so that you can have closure.

I believe that when someone betrays you there are things that are just as important as forgiveness and being sorry: Rebuilding trust, healing wounds and working to strengthen the relationship. The burden of these things falls on both parties, and they can be just as difficult as forgiveness. If you can forgive and/or be sorry, that's a great thing and a very good start, but its not always enough.

BrokenInside said:
"It takes a strong heart to say sorry and a much stronger heart to forgive." Do you agree?

B, I do think it is stronger for the person to forgive. It does take some effort for a genuine apology to take place, especially in really tough and painful situations.

More often than not, in serious and deep situations, sorry isn't enough. If they're not going to make up for it, then it's up to you to decide if you wanna forgive or not, and carry on, give that person a chance, or not at all.

If I can't forgive, I forget. I don't waste the emotion on something that's not worthy of it. But it depends on the depth of the wrongdoing.

If the person is genuinely sorry, and you can believe they will not do the same again, or they did not intend the hurt then forgive them if you can.

If someone continues to hurt you, then you need to question if you can.

I hope you are okay B.

A person is only truly sorry when they stand in front of you and eat a salt encrusted pine cone to show it

This
Lilith said:
That is true but at least try and still care about that person, depending on who it is.

This
Locke said:
Sometimes being sorry is enough, sometimes it isn't. But its usually at least a good start.

And this
9006 said:
True, I suppose it's down to how much they mean to you.

Latest posts

Back