Joined Plenty Of Fish

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a guy but in your "about me" section you should try to use more paragraphs and space things out. People usually skip over giant walls of text. Also clean up those run-on sentences.

You only really need one picture of your face.

Instead of "could I be the one", make it "could you be the one".

I'm not sure how beneficial it is putting your longest relationship on there.

You are very inconsistent with how you decide to capitalize things on your profile.

Instead of "show you how much of a gentleman I can be", I would put "show you what I'm all about". That's just personal preference thought I guess. Let them decide whether you are a gentleman or not.

Good luck dood.

I would say "{learn|discover} more about each other" than "find out more about her".

I'm gonna be brutally honest mate, as a fellow POF user, don't get your hopes up. The average rate of reply is one reply for every 30 girls messaged (Taken as a general rule from the POF forums).
It's a very shallow place, where people are always looking to get above their league, hoping that personality shinning through online will over ride physical appearance. I'm guilty of this myself, as I'm sure you will be, it's easier to simply ignore those you are unnatracted to if they message you than give them a glimmer of hope then have to turn them down later.

From both my own, my brothers and one of my friends experiences, no one is on there just looking for friends. It's a way of gently letting you down later after probing the relationship waters. Out of my, admittedly limited, circle of friends/people I know, most of us use or have used it at some point. My brother has managed a couple of ongoing text conversations lasting a few weeks, as has another of my friends. Another guy has managed a couple of dates that went nowhere and one girl has met up with a few guys, but they tend to lose interest after getting what they want if you catch my drift.

I'm down as big and tall/bbw, the biggest option they have (because I am a fat *******) so I don't mean offence when I say this, but the fact you've got yourself down as a few extra pounds will hurt your chances. When you view a profile it's pretty much the first thing people see in the top left corner, and many click the back button as soon as they see anything more than average. At least you have been honest, my brother and I find it quite amusing the amount of 18stone + women who put themselves down as average.

I've been blunt with you because POF can be a depressing thing. When forming relationships elude you in the real world, as they do me, it's hoped the Internet can be some last hope. I've been on it about 2 years now and I've received maybe 15 messages in that time, none of them from women I have personally found attractive. I sent a few messages initially, but after realising I fail online aswell it knocked what little confidence I had left.

If you can take the inevitable rejection I'd say message everyone you like, even those you are kinda "meh" about, something has to stick. To use a poor analogy, I treat it as if I'm a sniper, I carefully consider a person, craft a well thought out message, then fire. Unless you're really good you'll miss, then you have to line up another shot. I do this because I like a specific type of girl and I'd say 90% of the women on there are very mainstream and not my type. Those who seem to have any degree of success take on a more LMG approach, send as many messages as you can, you'll miss alot but you'll hit something at some point.

If you have any luck at all then please, please tell us how you managed it.

I hope you will not take what I say badly. It truly is meant as constructive criticism, not insulting.

I would like to recommend picking the best of those three pictures and deleting the other two, then posting one in another setting. Brighter lighting... when your pictures are in the dark, it makes some people wonder what you're hiding. It would be a good idea to wear a shirt that brings out the blue of your eyes. Are you a redhead? I'm not sure what color your hair is in those pictures. A light green shirt would probably look nice, if you have one. Your posture looks slouchy in the pictures. You should sit up straight, with your shoulders back. Good posture suggests self-confidence.

Regarding your profile... it's not terrible, but could use some improvement. I'd like to suggest correcting the punctuation. Your profile is your personal introduction to the world, and if your first paragraph is actually a run-on sentence, it doesn't really present you well.

I think you spend a little too long focused on being unemployed, which unfortunately popped in my mind as I read that your ideal first date involves taking a woman out for a meal. My initial thought was, "Sure, but can you afford that?" You don't want to guide somebody into that line of thinking. Once you're in that mind frame, you start wondering if you're going to have to pay this person's way all of the time, if you're going to have to miss out on things because there isn't enough money for two people, etc. It no longer becomes worth the "hassle" of getting to know you.

Hey there,

The first thing I'd say is, your profile picture is very dark and it's tricky to see your face. Of the four pictures you've got up, I'd say the third one is the best to go with.

I'd consider changing your headline too. "Could you be the one?" seems a little heavy - for the time being it's about getting dates, not thinking about The One, so keep it light and fun. When I was on POF my headline was a quote from a Beatles film. Stupid but I got a few messages about it so it seemed to work!

The main thing I thought about your body of text was that it doesn't really tell me so much about you - I know it's a description of you, yeah, but your individual personality and quicks and foilibles don't come over. You say you like to laugh - your profile is an ideal way of putting your sense of humour across. What's the one thing you really want people to know about you? I know this is tricky but I think the best way of writing something like that is to pretend you're writing a letter to a good friend, someone you feel completely comfortable with, someone who gets you. It means risking some people not clicking with it, I guess, but it increases greatly your chances of finding someone who does.

The other thing I'd say is, don't get too downhearted if it takes a while for you to talk to anyone. The nature of sites like this is that girls are overwhelmed with messages (I know that's unfair boys, sorry) and you very likely won't get a reply from every lady you message. But keep going!

I think most of these online dating and friendship sites are .. well, I've tried many of them over the years, and have never received a response from anyone I've tried to contact, and never revived any message from anyone who might be interested. Even after paying for a so called 'professional' to help me write a personals ad. It gets very depressing to log on to site after site and see 0 messages.

Latest posts

Back