Laughter

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not really. I'm usually doing the laughing or making people laugh. I like to laugh that's why I watch comedy shows or go on the cheezburger sites. Laughter is the best medicine, watch something funny or check out sites like failbook, lots of lolz on there.

Sometimes. A little. I try not to though.

I watch comedy programs too, and laugh, but then I feel sad afterwards. I don't know if anyone else gets like that. Probably just me. Sorry.

I love to laugh which is why i love watching stand up comedy on tv, rhod gilbert, bill bailey my faves at the moment. I dont like being sad...

Young Rascal said:
Do you ever hear laughter and become envious?

I don't know when was the last time I laughed.

Yes, often. :(

The only time I laugh these days is when my dog does something funny. :D

Sorry to hear you have nothing to laugh at in life either. {{Hugs}}

I'm with you. I miss laughter, especially as I used to be quite a funny smiley person. I watch comedy shows sometimes but I don't really laugh even though I know in my mind its funny it has little effect on me. The last thing that really made me laugh was the mighty boosh but that’s disappeared now.

Rather than TV its laughter with people that I miss. It's meant to be very good for you. I cant imagine sitting in a group in a pub laughing, I think those days are long gone.

Young Rascal - didn’t you say somewhere else on here you have a wife? Wives are funny aren’t they? If your not able to have a laugh with your wife then I would say your relationship is not going so great

cumulus.james said:
Young Rascal - didn’t you say somewhere else on here you have a wife? Wives are funny aren’t they? If your not able to have a laugh with your wife then I would say your relationship is not going so great

Your post sounds very familiar to me.

Yes, I have a lovely wife, and she does make me laugh. She's been very supportive of me through this difficult time together.

What I really meant in my original post, was that I miss really laughing. For some reason laughing doesn't get much past my face. I remember times when I really laughed at something that was deep down funny. It would happen all the time as a kid, less so as I got older. But i think it's been years since that's happened to me. It's as if there's a disconnect between me and my inner feelings. I feel more guarded or cynical now. I miss those old feelings.

Sorry if my original post was over dramatic, it was written on a "down" day. I'll need to be more careful in the future.

I make people laugh, and I know the punchline when I hear one.

Life is too damned short not to laugh when it's called for.

Now go play a practical joke on somebody. THAT'S AN ORDER! :D

Hello Young Rascal.
You were right about the reason that you don't find things as funny as you used to.I am quite a bit older than you,and a lot more cynical I'm afraid.There's nothing wrong with your sense of humour,as mine,it's just that there isn't as much wit out there as there used to be.I,like you remember when I used to laugh at something so much it seriously hurt!
The things that make you laugh ought to progress at the same rate as you mature,but sadly they don't.I used to really enjoy a laugh down at the pub,when they had "atmosphere" it was infectious,but since our government decided to ban smoking,and tax beer so heavily no one can afford or want to go out.
This is turning into a rant,so surfice to say keep your sense of humour! It's one of the few things the bastards can't take away from you.
All the best.
John.

Thanks guys.

The things that make you laugh ought to progress at the same rate as you mature
I think you're partly right there, perhaps cynicism is a byproduct of experience? Maybe the laughter of my youth is something to only experienced in youth.

But I am hoping not. I want to feel light hearted again and some days are better than others.

Now go play a practical joke on somebody. THAT'S AN ORDER!
I dunno, can you force laughter? I haven't played a joke on someone for along while... I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks for listening guys.

I don't laugh as much as I used to. But I love to hear others laugh. Comedy shows are great! I agree, laughter is the best medicine. Doctors are now prescribing comedy shows to cancer patients.

Kathy said:
I don't laugh as much as I used to. But I love to hear others laugh. Comedy shows are great! I agree, laughter is the best medicine. Doctors are now prescribing comedy shows to cancer patients.

Really?
They would be one hell of a stand up to make me titter if I'd got cancer!:(

Jilted John said:
Really?
They would be one hell of a stand up to make me titter if I'd got cancer!:(

I saw a show about it a few years back. The cancer patient was watching a comedy with her husband. Apparently people are doing better with recovering from surgery and chemo/radiation treatment if they are laughing regularly.

Laughter really is good medicine. No matter how awful my life is going, a good laugh helps me make it through another day. I live for those awesome laughs that make my tummy hurt or send me into a coughing fit.

Luckily it doesn't take much to make me laugh most times. If you jump out from behind something and yell "boobies!" I'll be roflmao :D

Catcher said:
Laughter really is good medicine. No matter how awful my life is going, a good laugh helps me make it through another day. I live for those awesome laughs that make my tummy hurt or send me into a coughing fit.

Luckily it doesn't take much to make me laugh most times. If you jump out from behind something and yell "boobies!" I'll be roflmao :D

That cracked me up.

I also love your sig line.

It's from "catcher in the rye". I agree with the sentiment sometimes cause I've had way too many stupid conversations in my life.

I laugh at myself by myself, but I'm bat-honeysuckle crazy so...

Young Rascal said:
Catcher said:
I live for those awesome laughs that make my tummy hurt or send me into a coughing fit.

That's what I miss. Is this something that goes away with age?

Ooh I hope not. I think the things that make you laugh change with age though. And sometimes a difficult life can make laughter not as easy. But I think if you remember to take time out of your day to not take anything or anyone seriously and just laugh, you never lose the ability.

Latest posts

Back