Let's do great things!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheenix

Reaction score
Greetings

I am sometimes wondering if my goal of becoming a music journalist provides sufficient motivation. I keep thinking of something greater to do in life so that I can have a more apparent motivation, but I can't come up with anything. Everything great either has been done or is being done. And money isn't a laughing matter these days.
Do you have any ideas?

I wish I did. I'd have already done it.
The fact that you are at least willing to look in other directions is a plus for you in my opinion.

How is it you're working to achieve your goal? If you're going to college for a degree I'm sure your college has a career advisement center, though what they say there should be taken with a grain of salt. :p

Well, school is the first thing in line because if I choose a new career path, I can't redo basic education.
After that it's studying journalism.

Meet people and get experiences; that's probably the best way to learn about what you truly want. Journalism, especially if it entails travel for you, is likely to lead you to quite a bit of that.

Ultimately, you want to find something that stirs your heart. I've heard a lot of ways about it, but for me, it was just getting out and encountering enough.

So maybe not great things, but can anyone come up with any alternative forms of life? Day-job, night relaxation just seems to be so boring to me. I'd love to be a wanderer or something, but I can see it wouldn't work in the real world.

I don't think that anyone can choose for you. The best way to find out what YOU want is to search for it by yourself. If you get influenced by others, it would not work...maybe. And you can only get motivated enough by finding something you and you alone come up with, imo of course.

Yeah, but I can't even think of a single thing. I'd just love inspiration.
But I fear that there is no inspiration to be found. I'm grasping for something that isn't there.

Pheenix, have you tried polyphasic sleep? That would allow you to maximize your waking hours in theory, allowing you to accomplish more than others.

Oh, it sounds so great, but most of the scarce professionals that comment on the concept discourage it, if mostly for fear of the unknown.

You can always try it for Science! Steve Pavlina, who's a pretty reliable source, said that he adapted to it well. It can't hurt at any rate.

Well, it could hurt, if it near-permanently messes me up internally :p

But y'know, yeah, trying something like that, come what may, might be an interesting way to shake life up. That said, I wonder how I'd fit it into school.
It'd work if I become a freelance journalist, I guess.

Pheenix said:
Well, it could hurt, if it near-permanently messes me up internally :p

FOR SCIENCE.

I don't think it could mess you up permanently - but do what research you can and see if it might have any long-term effects? Certainly individuals have gone through great sleep-related stress and come out fine.

Latest posts

Back