Let's share recipes!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas Red Chili

1/4 lb. suet, bacon drippings, or vegetable oil
6 lbs. lean beef, coarsely cubed
1 cup chili powder (about 4 1/2 oz)
2 Tbsp crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp salt
1 - 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 qts. beef stock or canned beef broth
1/2 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1/2 cup cold water

Fry suet until crisp. Then add beef, about 1 lb at a time, and brown, stirring as it cooks. Remove each pound after browning. When all meat is browned, return it to kettle and add seasonings and beef stock or broth. Cover and simmer 2 hrs. Skim off fat. Combine masa or cornmeal and water and stir thoroughly into chili. Simmer 30 min. Makes about 3-3/4 qts.

Not for those that feel that chili has to have beans or that the beef has to be ground.

Twitchy said:
We should start up a recipe thread again. I think there was one for awhile, but I believe it died off.

2a8s0lz.jpg

packyourbags said:
i'd join, but i'm vegan XD so i'm not sure any of you would try stuff i make lol XD

I'd try it :D I'm a vegetarian, but I don't eat fish or eggs.

packyourbags said:
i'd join, but i'm vegan XD so i'm not sure any of you would try stuff i make lol XD

I have a vegan blog from when I was a vegan this spring/summer.

40 Year-old Vegan

Mock Crabcakes

Ingredients:
*8 ounces tempeh
* water to cover
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 tablespoon Bragg's liquid aminos
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
* 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce
* 1/4 cup minced onion, rehydrated
* 2 stalks celery, minced
* 2 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
* 8 Saltines, crushed
* 1 handful toasted nori, crumbled
* Panko breadcrumbs

Spicy mayo:

* 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
* 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Pepper hot sauce
* 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

Directions:

1. Crumble the tempeh into a sauce pan. Pour in enough water to cover the tempeh. Add the Bragg's, olive oil and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, uncover and let boil for 12 minutes. Stir occasionally. Drain well.

2. Transfer contents to a mixing bowl, remove bay leaf, and mash with a potato masher. Let sit and cool for about 15 minutes.

3. Toss in the minced onion and celery and mix well. Add the crushed saltines and crumbled nori and stir well. Fold in the mayo, mustard, hot sauce, Old Bay Seasoning and mix thoroughly.

4. Fill the bottom of a pie plate with panko breadcrumbs. Take a small handful of the tempeh mixture and form into a ball. Press them into the panko crumbs in the pie pan and flatten them. Coat the top and sides well. Be careful with these cakes, as they will fall apart with rough handling.

5. Gently put about four cakes in a large oiled skillet, frying them over medium-high heat. Fry the cakes for about 5 minutes on one side until (GB&D) golden brown and delicious. Fry for 2 minutes on the other side and transfer to a plate. While the second batch is frying, whip up the spicy mayo by mixing all the ingredients together.

6. Top each cake with a generous dollop of the mayo and eat while still warm.

Notes:

* This recipe made 8 generous-sized crabcakes. You could make them much smaller for hors d'oeurvres.

* They are very fragile. I had to use two spatulas to turn them. I would not recommend turning them more than once. Make sure that you let them cook longer on the first side and come to a nice GB&D state before flipping.

I have a regular food blog since I fell off the vegan wagon:

Crisis Brownies

Pan-seared Sea Scallops with Lemon Thyme Basil Sauce (beurre nantais)

Ingredients:

* 1 lb sea scallops
* 3/4 cup cup dry white wine
* 2 oz fresh lemon juice
* 3 T chopped onions*
* 2 T heavy cream
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
* salt and pepper
* olive oil

Directions:

For the sauce:

1. Boil the wine, chopped onion, and lemon juice, in a heavy medium saucepan over high heat until mixture is significantly reduced (2 tablespoons) stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
2. Add the thyme and basil about halfway, so 6 minutes in.
3. Reduce heat to low and add the cream, whisking well.
4. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of butter 1 piece at a time over low heat, then raise heat and whisk in the rest of the butter. Serve immediately or keep warm until ready, but it won't last long.

For the scallops:

1. Season the scallops on both sides with salt and white pepper.
2. Heat olive oil to medium high in a large skillet, add the scallops and cook until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
3. Serve the scallops immediately over pasta or fresh greens, spooning the sauce liberally over the top.

I'm thinking of trying this out since I already have the rice. I might use something else in place of the SPAM. :/

Island-Style Fried Rice

Ingredients -

1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
3 cups water
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 (12 ounce) can fully cooked luncheon meat (such as SPAM®), cubed 1/2 cup sliced Chinese sweet pork sausage (lup cheong)
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 cup chopped green onion

Directions -

1. Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the rice cool completely.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the luncheon meat and sausage. Set aside, and pour the beaten eggs into the hot skillet. Scramble the eggs, and set aside.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and stir in the rice. Toss the rice with the hot oil until heated through and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic powder, toss the rice for 1 more minute to develop the garlic taste, and stir in the luncheon meat, sausage, scrambled eggs, pineapple, and oyster sauce. Cook and stir until the oyster sauce coats the rice and other ingredients, 2 to 3 minutes, stir in the green onions, and serve.

Island-Style Fried Rice

packyourbags said:

I wouldn't be so sure about it, and new ideas are always nice anyway.

Twitchy said:
I'm thinking of trying this out since I already have the rice. I might use something else in place of the SPAM. :/

You can just use leftover cooked ham in place of the SPAM.

That SPAM stuff is of teh debbil. My grandfather picked up a taste for Spam in The War and as a result, my sister and I were subject to all sorts of SPAM-delicacies when we'd go camping with them in the summer: Spam-kebabs with pineapple & maraschino cherries grilled over a campfire; grilled slab o' SPAM wrapped up in cabbage leaves; and worst of all, SPAM and Velveeta sandwiches on Wonder bread.

Good God.

Another great warming soup for frigid winter days.

Yellow Split Pea and Andouille Soup

Ingredients

* 2 andouille sausages cut into 1/2-inch slices
* 1 red potato, diced
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 1/4 cups yellow split peas, rinsed
* 4 cups chicken broth
* salt and pepper to taste
* Heavy cream to taste (optional)

Directions:

1. Sauté sausages in heavy large pot over medium-high heat about 4 minutes.
2. Add potato and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Dump in split peas, stirring well, then pour in the broth.
4. Bring the soup to a roiling boil.
5. Reduce heat to low.
6. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 60 minutes.
7. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Ladle into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of heavy cream if desired.

Easy Ramen recipes:

Here

Spicy Shrimp and Noodle Soup

Ingredients

1 lb shrimp
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. black pepper
5 cups water
2 packages shrimp or oriental flavored Ramen Noodles (use only 1 packet of seasoning)
2 cups salsa
1 15oz can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can corn, 1 green onion thinly sliced

Directions

Peel and devein shrimp, In a medium bowl combine lemon juice chili powder, cumin, and pepper, add mixture to shrimp toss to coat, let stand 20 minutes. In a large sauce pan bring water to boil, stir in ramen flavor packet, break ramen noodles into pieces add to saucepan, return to boil cook for 1 minute. Add shrimp, salsa, beans, corn, and green onion heat though until shrimp turn pink. Very quick, easy and good.

By Julia

Hot Dog Ramen Soup

My 13 year old was making dinner for her sisters one night and I was not allowed into the kitchen. She was supposed to be making hot dogs and ramen soup. Well she threw together this dish and now it is a family favorite, very quick and all of us like it.

1 package ramen for each person
1/2 the amount of recommended water
1 hot dog for each person (cut into chunks)

Bring all to a boil, turn off and add:

seasoning packet
2 raw eggs (whisk in separate bowl)
1/2 - 1 cup of cheese (we have used sliced and works great too)

Mix and let finish cooking.

Sounds and looks gross, but it really is the best tasting soup I think I have ever had, and I am not a hot dog eater.

By Melissa

Twitchy said:
Hot Dog Ramen Soup

Ooo, there was a great soup I was fond of in Korea that had hot dogs and ramen noodles. It also had a buttload of kimchi and, I think, bean sprouts.

My Korean friends swore that it was the best hangover remedy.

Budae Jjigae

Ooh want Korean food. Now.

Campfire Cooking!
It's gonna sound weird, but trust me:

1 box of Mac 'n' cheese.
1 can of Kerneled Corn.
1 lb of hamburger.
1 or 2 green bell peppers.
1 or 2 diced tomatoes.

Make the Mac 'n' cheese, brown the hamburger, chop the veggies, and mix everything together! Enjoy!

----Steve

cheaptrickfan said:

Budae Jjigae

That looks incredibly good, but I'll never be able to pronounce it properly.

I'll eat just about anything with kimchi.

Twitchy said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Budae Jjigae

That looks incredibly good, but I'll never be able to pronounce it properly.

I'll eat just about anything with kimchi.

Boo-day Jee-gay. ;-)

I love, love, love kimchi. We have several small Korean grocers here and they all make their own "homemade" kimchi, both the fresh and the fermented kind. There really is no comparison between the homemade and the mass-produced kinds.

One of my favorite comfort foods while I was there, and continues to this day, is kimchi fried rice. Simple, spicy, filing.

A regular favorite around our house! So good and easy... don't let my notes complicate it ;) It's a no cook sauce recipe. You pour the cold sauce over the hot drained noodles, AMAZING!

Triple Tomato and Penne Pasta!

1 pound penne pasta (rotini, mostaccoli, etc. is FIIIINE)

3-4 medium tomatoes.. chop roughly (nice, fresh, ripe, red...vine ripe or I'll use like 5-6 campari tomatoes! I've also made w/ a combo of different tomatoes I've had on hand, heck, I've even used a whole pint of cherry tomatoes)

8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained (I recommend getting them from the fresh antipasti/olive bar at say Whole Foods, etc., for best results! I've used the dry variety as well, it's fine)

4-5 tablespoons tomato paste (or more, totally play with this and add to taste!)

6-12+ large basil leaves (depends how much you like basil! really needs to be fresh!)

2 garlic clove (or more!)

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Optional additions:
Roasted or raw 1/4 - 1/2 of jalapeno
Dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes
Chop up some olives and some capers (after blended!)

DIRECTIONS: In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne until al dente. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, garlic and olive oil. Puree until smooth.

Drain Pasta and put back in pot. Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked noodles, salt and pepper and toss well to coat all the noodles. Serve pasta immediately!

Tiffy said:
Optional additions:
Roasted or raw 1/4 - 1/2 of jalapeno

Jalapenos are never optional in my kitchen. They are mandatory! :p

Thanks for that. Sounds tasty.

If I start gaining weight, I'm going to blame everyone who's posted to this thread. :shy:

Latest posts

Back