Let's share recipes!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twitchy said:
If I start gaining weight, I'm going to blame everyone who's posted to this thread. :shy:

*cough* Portion control. ;-)

Edit: That said, here is today's recipe:

crab.jpg

Crab-stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients

* 1 8-oz container crabmeat
* 1 package of shallot and chive flavor Boursin® cheese
* 2 T mayo (or more to achieve the desired consistency)
* ½ onion, finely diced
* Old Bay® seasoning
* ½ cup of soft bread crumbs or cracker crumbs (Ritz or saltines work well)
* 6 large portobello mushroom caps or 20 smaller cremini/baby bellas
* Panko crumbs
* freshly grated parmesan or romano

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the crab meat, Boursin® cheese and mayo. Mix well.

3. Fold in the diced onion and cracker or bread crumbs, stirring until everything is incorporated well.

4. Clean the mushroom caps by removing the stems and gills and brushing off any accumulated dirt.

5. Place the caps on a baking sheet.

6. Put a healthy dollop of the crab mixture in the cavity of each mushroom cap and sprinkle generously with Old Bay®. Top with grated cheese and panko crumbs.

7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the tops are nicely browned and the filling is slightly bubbly on the sides. The larger portobello caps take longer.

8. Serve hot.

oh goodness, those mushrooms look incredible and sound quick and easy!

Oh Twitchy, try the pasta, and add a WHOLE jalapeno or a HUGE handful of red pepper flakes... you can't go wrong ;)

Tiffy said:
Oh Twitchy, try the pasta, and add a WHOLE jalapeno or a HUGE handful of red pepper flakes... you can't go wrong ;)

Yup...when something calls for a little jalapeno, I generally disregard the little part. :p

I've made this a few times:

Hot and Spicy Marinara

1 tbsp. basil garlic olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1-2 thinly sliced jalapenos or serranos (remove the seeds!)
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes in juices
1 tbsp. of Sriracha or similar hot sauce
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. chopped basil

Saute the onions and serranos in olive oil until soft, about 7 minutes.
Add the Italian seasoning and cook for another minute.
Add the tomato products and basil.
Add hot sauce and stir it in.
Let simmer for an hour or so

Serve over your favorite pasta noodles.

Serranos seem to work best. You can use one, two or even three depending on size and how much you like peppers.

If putting a thai hot sauce (Sriracha) in an italian style recipe seems strange, you can substitute it with something else. I swear it's good in there. :/

cheaptrickfan said:
Crab-stuffed Mushrooms

kickass!

Oh yum! Yum yum, I'm a huuuuge fan of Sriracha and actually have used it in a pinch in my no cook sauce :) Your sauce sounds amazing as well, I'll be trying that one!

Mix soup, milk, pimiento, peas, tuna and noodles in 1 1/2-qt. casserole. Bake at 400°F. for 20 min. or until hot. Stir.

Mix bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top. Bake 5 min.

Tip: This recipe is also great using Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Celery or 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery Soup.

Update

I made plum cobbler (adapted from Eve's )and salsa, salad (from Apple )and chicken.

The photo of the salad looks like I ran past it at 40mph which I did :D but the cobbler looks decent and tasted heavenly
IMG_20120616_163010.jpg

IMG_20120616_155214.jpg

Yummy recipes! Hungry. Need to go shop some veggies and then I'll cook one of the above.

I was at a dinner recently and for dessert sliced oranges was served with a dollop of fat youghurt with finely crumbled almondy nougat folded in it. Was quite delicious.

A couple of my favorite recipes so far that are almost non cooking (except a couple things) and are kind of simple to make.

Taco Surprise (Casserole)

1 lb ground beef (optional)
2 cans refried beans (about 15 oz each)
Taco seasoning packet
1 can condensed cheese sauce (Ricos brand) 15 oz
1 bag shredded cheese of your choice (I use colby jack or that taco shredded cheese)
tomatoes, salsa, onions, etc (optional)
Tortilla chips

Grease 12x9 glass or metal baking dish with butter. Press both cans of refried beans on bottem. Cook meat and add taco seasoning. (follow packet directions for taco meat). **If you aren't using meat, just mix the taco seasoning, a little water, and refried beans together**

Pour taco meat on refried beans. Follow condensed cheese sauce can directions. Pour on top of taco meat. Sprinkle the whole bag of shredded cheese on top of other cheese. Add whatever toppings as you desire like tomatoes, salsa, onions, etc. You have the option of heating this casserole in the oven but I usually don't. (350 F oven, with tin foil, for 10-15 minutes or so.)
Eat with tortilla chips. Enjoy!

Peanut butter bars with chocolate frosting

1/2 cup melted butter
1 3/4 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 - 2/3 cup oats uncooked
1 bag milk chocolate chips (or your choice of chocolate chips)

Grease 11 x 7 glass or metal baking dish with butter. Add a very thin layer of oats on the bottem. Mix melted butter with powdered sugar. Mix peanut butter in. Then about 1/4 cup oats more or less as you desire. Add a handful of chocolate chips into this mixture. Put big mixing spoonfuls of mixture on baking dish on top of oats. Take a regular spoon and careful spread/press into pan so it's flat. Take remaining chocolate chips in a small boiling pan and heat on low, mixing constantly till chips are melted. Do not have heat too high. Pour and spread carefully over peanut butter mixture and put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!

Noodle soup

Today I will make my own kind of asian chicken stock. Simmering all kinds of veggies and chicken with added fish sauce and spices. I would love to learn how to make noodles but bought ones will do nicely in the noodle soup. Will add chopped argula, spring onions and sesame seeds when ready to serve.

If I have time I'll make the Peanut butter bars with chocolate frosting Okiedokies :)

I buy a lot of what my store calls "Picnic Packs" of chicken, basically a couple of broken down chickens, all the skin and bones intact. My kids love dark meat and hate the white, so I'm usually left with a couple of bone-in breasts. This is a fast way to perfect chicken.

Roastedchickenbreastwithshallotandherbpansauce.jpg

Pan-roasted Chicken Breast with Sauce

Ingredients:

2 bone-in, skin-on, split chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Grapeseed oil or olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
1 small garlic clove, minced
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup chicken broth
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. You want it really roaring hot.

2. Make the herb butter by mashing together the butter with the chopped sage, thyme and rosemary. Take the herb butter and stuff it under the skin.

3. Drizzle some grapeseed oil over the chicken and massage it into the skin and flesh. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. Lay the chicken skin-side down straight onto the dry skillet and let cook for 3 minutes. Don’t move it, just let the skin get nice and brown.

5. Using a pair of tongs, flip it over and put the pan in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes, then place the chicken on a plate to rest.

Note: You’re going to use the same skillet that just came out of the oven, so be careful to use a towel or pot holder, otherwise you’re likely to brand yourself on the hand. That cast iron holds heat for a long time.

6. In the same skillet that you used for the chicken, add a little bit of butter and turn the heat to medium-high. Saute the shallots for a minute, then add the garlic and cook another minute, stirring well to scrape up any of the lovely browned bits in the pan.

7. Pour in the wine to help deglaze the pan and loosen more of the lovely bits stuck to the pan. Let it cook down a bit and then add the sprigs of thyme and chicken broth. Let it cook down until reduced, about 5 minutes, then taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Spoon over the chicken breasts and serve immediately.

hopsfox said:
Noodle soup

Today I will make my own kind of asian chicken stock. Simmering all kinds of veggies and chicken with added fish sauce and spices. I would love to learn how to make noodles but bought ones will do nicely in the noodle soup. Will add chopped argula, spring onions and sesame seeds when ready to serve.

If I have time I'll make the Peanut butter bars with chocolate frosting Okiedokies :)

Cool :) How did they turn out if u made them?

That chicken looks delicious!

Okaaay, NON-alcoholic drinkies, then! :p

Soft Floats

Really easy these, simply a soft drink of the child's choosing
Coke/Lemonade/Irn Bru etc.

Note: Use a tall glass and add a scoop of ice cream to the soft drink (not the other way around otherwise it will fizz everywhere).

Fruit Juice Cooler

1.5 oz. Cranberry juice
2 oz. Ginger ale
1.5 oz. Grapefruit juice
1.5 oz. Orange juice
1.5 oz. Pineapple juice
Add all ingredients to glass and stir

Limler

10cl apple juice
1 lime cubed
2bspn Brown sugar
Crushed Ice

Muddle the lime and sugar in your glass
Add crushed ice and top with apple juice

El Castro

A virgin Cuba Libre
1 lime
Coke
Cube lime and muddle in the bottom of an Old Fashioned/Rocks Glass
Add Ice and Top with Coke.

Virgin Berry Daiquiri

1 lime
3 barspoons Sugar
12 Mixed Berries (Strawberries/Raspberries etc)
2oz Apple Juice

Cube the lime and add all ingredients to shaker, and muddle
Add the apple juice and ice
Shake like crazy
Strain into glass

Can be served either short or long, short in a Martini Glass, long in a Collins Glass over ice either topped up with soda or lemonade.

Virgin Pina Colada

3oz Pineapple Juice
1oz Coconut Cream
1oz Cream/Milk
1 scoop ice cream and a little ice
Blend all ingredients together and serve
Garnish with pineapple

Try adding strawberries to the mix for something a little different.

Fruitades

These are simplicity itself and simply involve citrus fruit and sugar
Simple rule of thumb is for each fruit use 3 barspoons or sugar
Lemon
Lime
Orange & Passion fruit

Muddle your chosen fruit in the bottom of your shaker or glass with the sugar.
Shake (if using shaker)
Add Ice & Top with soda/Lemonade

Indian Champagne

Good one for a large pitcher, used to drink this by the bucket load as a kid, in India strangely enough:
Fresh Apple Juice mixed with sparkling water (1:2) add diced fruits of your choice. A sprig of mint poked in the jug is rather nice.

Virgin Strawberry Mojito

10-12 mint leaves
1 lime
3 barspoons of sugar
3-4 Strawberries
Crushed Ice
Canadian Ginger Ale

Cube the lime and put in a Collins glass
Add the Mint, Sugar & Strawberries
Muddle thoroughly
Add the ginger ale and a little crushed ice and stir/churn through thoroughly
Top with more crushed ice and Ginger Ale
Garnish with a sprig of mint & half a strawberry

Looks very pretty.

I suppose if I fail as an accountant, I could always gets a job as a bartender. ;)

~ * ~ Smoothies ~ * ~

These always end up being some of the easiest to make; it just depends on what fruits you want to use:

Mango, Passionfruit & Peach
Mixed Berries
Kiwis & Apples
Use anything you like, really.
Use Cranberry Juice and Apple Juice to lengthen and thin the smoothie and blend away to your heart's content.
Or use yoghurt and describe them as lassi. ;)

Calcium-rich fruit smoothie

8 strawberries, hulled
1 orange, segmented
120ml (4floz) semi-skimmed milk
120g (4oz) low-fat plain yogurt
3 tbsp clear honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 ice cubes

1 - Place the strawberries, orange, milk, yogurt, honey, vanilla, and ice cubes in a food processor or blender.

2 - Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

Red fruit smoothie

1 banana, broken into pieces
3 tbsp plain yogurt
115g (4oz) frozen mixed red berry fruits
600ml (1 pint) pineapple juice or cloudy apple juice

1 - Place the banana, yogurt, and berry fruits in a blender or food processor. Pour in the juice and blend until smooth.

2 - To serve, divide the smoothie between 4 serving glasses.

Variation: Mixed Berry Smoothie If you prefer to use fresh fruits, add your choice of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, or blueberries, plus 2 or 3 ice cubes. To make a thicker smoothie, add another banana.

Leftovers: Can be chilled in the refrigerator and enjoyed later, adding more ice if desired.

Mango and lime smoothie

2 mangoes, peeled, stoned, and chopped
2 bananas, chopped
200ml (7fl oz) orange juice
juice of 1 lime
4 tbsp natural yogurt

Place all the ingredients into a blender, or use a stick blender, and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Good with: Muffins, for a feel-good breakfast.

Variation: Passion Fruit Smoothie Make the smoothie as above, but replace the orange juice with 200ml (7fl oz) pineapple juice. Omit the lime; instead, add the pulp of 2 passion fruit.

Banana-Berry Smoothie

Makes 3 servings, 1 cup each

1 1/4 cups orange juice
1 ripe medium banana, peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
1/2 cup silken tofu
2 ice cubes, crushed (see Tip)
1 tablespoon sugar, (optional)

Combine orange juice, banana, berries, tofu and crushed ice in a blender; cover and blend until smooth and frothy. Sweeten with sugar, if desired. Serve immediately.

Tip: An easy way to crush ice is to place cubes in a heavy-duty plastic bag and break them with a rolling pin.

Super-healthy almond smoothie

An ideal treat for when you're on a health kick. Serve it in tall ice-cream flutes and spoon it out like a pudding if you've been a bit heavy-handed with the seeds and it is too thick to drink. It is fantastically filling, and can be made a day in advance. You can add any seeds or fruit you fancy; try throwing in some linseeds, or using up any leftovers from your fruitbowl that are starting to go soft.

Serves 2

8 almonds, skins on
2 heaped tbsp oats
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 medium banana
1 kiwi fruit
2 large handfuls of berries – whatever is in season
3 tbsp natural yoghurt
250ml rice milk, almond milk or soya milk

1. Put the almonds, oats and seeds into a blender or smoothie machine and whizz until fine.

2. Add the banana, kiwi, berries, yoghurt and milk. Blend until smooth.

Raspberry breakfast power smoothie

The breakfast power smoothie is a classic – it tastes great and does you good. The oats provide a slow-release carb to power you through to lunch, and the bananas are loaded with potassium. You could also add colour and extra vitamins by mixing in seasonal fruit – everything from rhubarb to blackberries. During winter when there isn't much fresh fruit about, frozen raspberries are easily found and surprisingly tasty, retaining all of their vitamins and most of their flavour. Frozen blueberries would also work wonders here.

Serves 4

3 big handfuls (120g) of oats
1 large banana
2 tbsp clear honey
250ml Greek yoghurt
300ml milk

Two big handfuls of frozen raspberries

Put everything into a blender and whizz until smooth. You can break up some additional frozen raspberries and sprinkle them on top. They look jewel-like and leave a little crunch for afters.

Soft Fudge

Just made a quick fudge, the soft kind, from 4 spoons of sugar, 1 spoon of Mascarpone, half a spoon of butter, 4 spoons of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.....and I'm glad I kept the amount so small as it was irresistable and I ate it all while it was still warm :D

Just put all ingredients, except the vanilla extract, in a cooking pan with a sturdy bottom and heat it on a moderate heating level. Let it cook gently and whisk it till it is as thick as honey, then let it cool down and whisk a teaspoon of the vaniila extract through, eat warm or cold.

fudge-sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back