Magnificent Quote From Fight Club

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhGodImLonely

Reaction score
I want to share that with you. When I first seen this movie, this sequence just made me think. Brad Pitt playing the second personality of Edward Norton gives a speech to his fellow fighters in the basement of a gloomy coffee shop and he says something that every lonely person in the world thought about at least once in there life. So here it is :

"********* an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables. Slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, work jobs we hate so we can buy honeysuckle we don't need.
"We're the middle children of history men. No purpose. No place.
"We've got no Great War. No Great Depression.
"Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression... is our lives.
"We've all been raised on television to make us believe that we'd all be millionaires, movie gods or rockstars. But we won't.
"We're starting to understand that fact. And we are very... very pissed-off."

The guy is talking about us. I'm sure every lonely people in here will adhere to what he says.

My question: do you think that it's really the system in our modern era that makes us feeling so down, lonely, and miserable ?

I sometimes wonder if I could have been happier and open to socializing if I had lived let's say in the classic period or the middle ages. Or at least in the 19th century. Ever had that thought ? Are we just victims of this Western Way of life ?

In short, hardship builds character. A person is a child until they learn that what they had before for granted, they have to work for. For some people that moment never comes. Others, unfortunately, have to learn that lesson way too early.

Hardship also unites people. Aka makes people "CO-DEPENDENT" (a terrible thing in some people's opinion). Where the connection is not only casual but you have shared problems, goals, and interests.

There is definitely something isolating about the Western way of life - and I think that quote captures it perfectly. I spend the bulk of my day (including my hours at work) fighting boredom - I don't have any great struggle in my life (not anymore), and I think that's a big part of the problem...life is too easy.

I think it might have been better to have been born in an earlier era - in some ways; I imagine you were sort of forced to be more social because there was nothing else to do. Now we have an endless supply of ready made entertainment, and yet we (at least I) spend my day bored. Funny how that works.

Fight Club has been my favorite movie since its release, and the reason is the one you stated, OP. Yes, I agree with the notion that modern way of life is responsible for our difficulty in connecting with most people. I am kind of romantic I suppose, I often miss time periods I've never lived, things were way simpler back then, and honor and respect were elite values, unlike today, where to be honorable is considered a weakness...

The easy part is realising modern life can be an empty vacuous existence, the harder part is working out what you are going to do to change it.

Your only lonely because you live in fear, let it go and see how beautiful the world is.

I sometimes wonder if I could have been happier and open to socializing if I had lived let's say in the classic period or the middle ages. Or at least in the 19th century. Ever had that thought ? Are we just victims of this Western Way of life ?

I think you're right. Life is more complex now. We have too many options. My father never questioned church, state or his empoyer. One job all his life. Roles were more clearly defined for men. He never even rode in a plane. I think it woul've been easier except I would've struggled living up to the breadwinner role for a big family like many men did then.

isthatso said:

I think you're right. Life is more complex now. We have too many options. My father never questioned church, state or his empoyer. One job all his life. Roles were more clearly defined for men. He never even rode in a plane. I think it woul've been easier except I would've struggled living up to the breadwinner role for a big family like many men did then.

You're right though I think that being the breadwinner at that time wasn't such a big deal since the woman took care of the children and life was cool. Today it's not same, at all.

Latest posts

Back