Money and friends, terrible mix?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miasaokim

Reaction score
At first I should say I'm Asian and the amount of money here could seem little to some of you, but my current salary is about 200$.

In February 2011 I found a job at a really small company, it's a small company with a director/manager, a cleaner, an accountant, a deliverer, and me - the designer. Since there weren't many people, we were close and the cleaner was the closet one to me. In July, I found a better job and changed, but still kept in contact with the cleaner. She later quit her job there too, and has went on about 2-3 jobs since then. She is low educated and engaged to manual labor so it's hard to find a good and steady one.

The first time she borrowed me money, was in Lunar new year of 2012 we was at the beauty shop and she asked me for 10$ to straighten her hair. It's not a problem if she didn't lead me into the shop, then asked the hairdresser, and only asked me for money after she set everything up. I was really pissed that day and shouldn't have lent her money. It's bad luck to borrow/lend anything around the first 10 days of Lunar new year in my country. I don't have superstition but I could have used that reason to refuse.

The second time, not so long after that, she asked me for 25$ and told me she had found a new job but didn't have any money left, and would pay back after she received the salary. She did pay back, but just haft of it and I really don't remember if she had pay the rest, I'll tell you why later.

Next, she asked for 250 $ (I remembered I'd told her at Lunar new year that I'd saved up to 250$ and was thinking about making a savings account at the bank.), she said she would pay 50$ each month along with the interest, she wanted to by a cheap motorcycle. We normally use motorcycle in our country and she didn't have one.
I refused, yet we were still friends. That day she told me her son would go to elementary school and she would need money, it was like a prior notice that she would borrow me.

And she did. 100$ this time, I only gave her 50$, she said she would pay 25$ a month. Then for some reasons, she always has believable reasons, she didn't pay or didn't pay enough of 25$. (can't remember)

After that, she just kept paying and borrowing, like pay 25$ and borrow back 10$, then pay 20$... and now I don't know exactly how much she owes me, she told me she still has 25$ left but I'm not sure.

Honestly I can give up that 50$, only if she worths it and this is what makes me think.

Back to when we were working together, now I remember she usually asked the manager for salary advance, just a part or half of her salary. It was a small company and the manager was quite easy on that. I don't think she made friend with me because of money in the first place, but now that she doesn't have a steady job, I become her living-bank instead of the manager.

She has asked me for 25$ again, while she still has 25$ she hasn't payed, to open a small coffee shop at her house. I don't think she's lieing about this since I could visit her anytime to see her shop. But I don't like the feeling of being a living-bank that she would call every time she needs money. And I know I won't get the money back, at least not all.

The reason I haven't cut this friendship of is, despite the thing about money, she is a good friend. And now, it's because of the money, I have to look back and judge her, I don't like doing that but I have to.

We're Asian, we live with our family and her family isn't a good one. If I knew her family before her, I won't be close to her. She has a son, and she is a single mom, yet she doesn't seem to love him much. Not that she hates him, but I have a feeling she just raises him because it's her duty, not because she wants to. If she doesn't care about her own son, would she care about me or it's just a pretend?

I've promised to lend her the 25$ she has asked, I can take those words back anytime and say I need the money for some business. But, I feel it's cruel, and I still think about her as a friend. I could cut the connection anytime, could get away from her anytime but I don't know if I should do it...

My advise would be to not lend her another cent until she pays you back EVERYTHING. Then, if and when she does ask again, only lend her one amount of money at the time. For example, lend her $25 if she needs it. But don't lend her anything else until she pays all of that money back.

I actually lend a few people money on a regular basis. They're like the woman you describe. If I didn't put a cap on my lending, they'd borrow everything I have lol.

Which part of Asia?

Money and friends never mix. Don't ever expect to get any money back of what you loan.

I could lose that money, I've never lent her more than what I'm ready to lose, say 50$. What bothers me now is, should I lose her? Should I still be friend with her?

People get problem sometimes, I don't mind helping a real friend. She has earned my trust as a friend, but the way she borrows money is destroying it.

I could give her one last chance, lend her 25$ and plus the 25$ she still owes me, then never lend her anymore unless she pay back. Or, I could forget that 25$ she hasn't paid and cut this friendship off. I'm considering...

@IgnoredOne: I'm Vietnamese. :rolleyes2:

It is important that your friend learnt to take responsibility for all her matters instead of just relying on you. Although friends should help one another but it is quite obvious that she is not managing her finances well and you are always the easy solution for her. You will only be able to really help her when you stop giving her so that she can learn to take up the due responsibilities.

The only way to help her is to let her help herself.

You are only making things worse if she is starting to look at you like a walking ATM...she will become dependent on you and never learn to do it herself.

Have a notepad and write down each time you lend her some money. And then write down when she pays you back. This how at least you will know where you stand.

miasaokim said:
What bothers me now is, should I lose her? Should I still be friend with her?

Learn to tell her no. She most likely keeps asking because she knows you will give it to her. If you say no, she might be upset or even a little angry, but if she is your friend, she will get over it and accept it.

Now I can see asking when it's important (like she can't pay a bill or something), but for stuff like getting her hair straightened? That's not important at all and she can live without it.
Also, if she blows her own money (Assuming that from how she asks you for money) then she needs to learn to manage it better.

I don't think you should lose her as a friend, at least not yet. Start telling her no or start gently demanding that she repays everything before loaning her anymore (I agree with whoever said about writing down everything)

money are friends is a terrible mix

money are family is a terrible mix too

never underestimate the ability of those closest to you to take full advantage

It's always easier to lose a friend than to make one, I think I'll give her another chance. But this time I won't just give her money, maybe it's time for me to start rambling about my financial issue and that I'm not as rich as she thinks.

Yupe, writing down is a good idea, should have done it long time ago.

In my experience money has the power to make or break friendships, but more often than not it breaks them. Maybe that's because almost all my irl friendships in the past have been with deadbeats. I just recently cut loose my last two friends in the city because within a short amount of time of one another they proved themselves to be completely unreliable, untrustworthy and extremely self centered. These are people who I carried for years when they were struggling financially. Whenever I had anything to spare they got half. One of them I even let stay in my room for over a year to the chagrin of my parents.

Now that I've been out of work for a while and actually need some help, and they've both had steady employment for some time, you'd think the help would be extended my way. Nope. I had to harass one of them just for him to admit to owing me money, the other can't even be bothered to show up for a casual hang out. He must have sensed that I needed something from him. Oh yeah and this is a guy who also sold me a laptop for cheap in order to help pay me back, then "borrowed" the laptop back, never returned it, and on recently enquiring as to the status of said laptop I was told that the "hard drive is fried." I didn't even get so much as an apology from either of them. I'm not even bothered by losing the money any more, I'm just hurt that these people clearly don't care how their actions effect me, and pissed off that I believed they were decent human beings. I think I'm just too trusting sometimes.

Usually if you say yes to letting someone borrow money, they'll just ask you more and more, especially if they don't know how to manage their money.

@Bob Arctor: Something similar happened to me when I was in highshool. It wasn't about money, though. My classmate went through a hard time, family issue, I was there comforting her, letting her cry on my shoulders. Things got better. And when it came to the trip after graduation, she told me to find another group since I'm not as cool as her other friend.
Guess that's how life is.

It would be a stretch for me to retrieve a memory of loaning a friend money that actually ended well.

Latest posts

Back