Movie "Interview" being pulled from theaters

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this & this being "general chat", figured I'd ask it here...

Apparently, the movie "Interview" that was supposed to be released in December was canceled by Sony after threat was made... http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/12/17/sony-hack-the-interview/20519545/... I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that they've made the decision to pull the movie, though I completely understand the reason behind it... Any thoughts or comments on this?

I saw this. I thought it was only the premiere that was being pulled do too a hacker threat.

I think it's silly to pull the movie as a whole. If someone doesn't want to see the movie, don't go. I think it looks funny.

It's the theaters who have made the majority decision not to show the movie. There was a threat made against any theater from this hacker group that who screened the movie would result in a 9/11 type of attack against them. This was done out of concern for the safety and well being of innocent people.

I thought it was the Sony's decision to pull the movie but may be I was wrong... Either way, my personal feelings on the movie itself aside, I do think it was a bit silly to pull the movie from the theaters...

North Korea threatened another 9/11 if the movie went ahead. People's lives aren't worth the risk for a stupid movie. Especially when it's North Korea. You don't mess with them, they don't do empty threats.

rcal said:
North Korea threatened another 9/11 if the movie went ahead. People's lives aren't worth the risk for a stupid movie. Especially when it's North Korea. You don't mess with them, they don't do empty threats.

Agreed. North Korea is crazy enough to follow up on those threats no matter the cost to them.

Given the circumstances, Sony initially gave the theaters the option not to show it. After most of them bailed, Sony announced they would not release the movie at all. I've read varying accounts of the credibility of the threat, including that some disgruntled Hollywood actor is responsible, but can't recall if anything definitive was determined. It's hard to put much stock into half of what passes for the media reports nowadays anyway, lol.

I'm with Nicolelt, it looks like it would have been hilarious - I'm a fan of Seth Rogen and totally planned to see it. If they release it later, I still will. If it goes straight to DVD, I'll buy that. No one will 'scare' me into not seeing it.

I do think pulling the movie was the wrong decision and it leaves the impression that we will cave anytime we are pressured.

They should just put it online and let everyone watch it for free. They are loosing money anyways from not playing it.

If this is a marketing campaign for the movie, it's working much better than plain-ole-releasing the movie would.

MissGuided said:
I do think pulling the movie was the wrong decision and it leaves the impression that we will cave anytime we are pressured.

I'm with you, MissG. It's called 'terrorism' for a reason - it spreads terror and panic. If you give in to such things then the terrorists have achieved their aim and the likelihood of future threats or attacks increases.

The chilling effect here is that the fear of hacker-terrorists has forced a major motion picture studio to buckle to a political belief. Now we know that any movie, any TV show, and any piece of music that pisses off the right people can be stopped with a hacking event and a threat of 9/11-style violence.

But I can't understand how the makers of the film didn't see this as a risk. Sure, in America, making fun of heads of state is our thing. But in North Korea, it's grounds for execution.

It's amazing to me that Sony, Seth Rogen, James Franco, et al, didn't realize the crap-storm they'd be unleashing with a movie about trying to assassinate the current leader of a hostile nation. It shows their ignorance of North Korea's current politically hostile stance.

This is like the Danish cartoons about Mohammad's likeness all over again, but this time taken many danger levels higher.

I can't wait for South Park to tackle this story.

Case said:
I can't wait for South Park to tackle this story.

Ditto that, my friend - those dudes are my heroes. They employ equal opportunity honeysuckle stirring, no one is safe. If Trey ever runs for office, I'll be the first to vote him in. ;)

They should show it. That's what's wrong with this world now. Everyone trying to be politically correct. It's a movie. Who cares... Don't like it? Don't watch it. People just want something to complain about.

There are some things you don't do, this movie is a good example of that. There is a reason why the United States has such a bad reputation with other countries, this again is a good example of that. The movie was a STUPID idea, to take an ACTUAL in power world leader and make a movie where you go an assassinate him? DUMB! Just plain idiotic and stupid. It doesn't matter if people don't approve or agree with the way he governs his people, you just don't do that. It is also not a good way to try and smooth over relations with other countries either. Just look at what's happened, the US is blaming North Korea for this hack and these threats declaring it terrorism, yet have NO proof North Korea was even involved. It was American's who made this stupid idea of a movie in the first place. You can't do this an not expect someone to react. It's like punching someone in the face then getting mad because they punch you back. Don't punch them in the first place.

Has anyone ever seen the kind of Anti-American programming that N Korea peppers their citizens with? Last time I checked, Americans weren't publicly threatening to blow up their citizens for it.
If everyone who has done something tasteless and stupid got killed for it, we'd probably all be dead by now.
Also, unless I misread the comments from the Whitehouse, they ended up calling it cyber vandalism.
Also, N Korea doesn't have a track record of wanting to smooth things over with anyone.
For every perceive slight by uttered words, they bring out the nuke threat.

So, I can agree that the movie was in poor taste, but it sure as hell doesn't justify threatening physical violence against innocent people. =\

It was definitely not wise to make a movie about assassinating an actual human being. The movie could have easily used someone 'in the spirit' of Gout-Boy.

It looks like he's doing a fine job of killing himself. Although, The Onion reports he is a spectacle of health!

PYONGYANG—Following reports that the head-of-state is receiving treatment for a variety of medical conditions, an Amnesty International report released Monday confirmed that the diabetic and gout-ridden dictator Kim Jong-un is still by far the healthiest individual in North Korea. “With high levels of uric acid in his bloodstream causing painful swelling in his lower joints and pancreatic failure resulting in extreme soreness and fatigue, Kim Jong-un is currently the picture of strength and wellness in his country,” said the report’s author, Dr. Philip Gilliam, adding that not one of North Korea’s nearly 25 million citizens could even fathom a life in which they only suffered from high blood pressure, night sweats, and an arthritic limp. “As a man living with the effects of severe weight gain and heavy alcohol consumption, he ranks first among his citizens in nearly every measurable standard of health and fitness. In fact, should his diabetes worsen and lead to reduced vision, impaired hearing, or even nerve damage, Kim Jong-un would almost certainly continue to remain in the top percentile of the nation’s healthiest individuals.” Gilliam confirmed that Kim’s life expectancy of 69 is remarkable for the hermetic nation, though he added that most North Koreans are deeply thankful they will never live that long.

It might be a stupid movie. I wouldn't even doubt that. But does that mean people couldn't do it? No. This country is about freedom, and the fact that they basically coward down to a country that doesn't want anyone to have any sort of freedom, is wrong. Period. We don't threaten North Korea. They threaten everyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anyone should have to cower down to anyone else because they want to act like upset babies.

VanillaCreme said:
It might be a stupid movie. I wouldn't even doubt that. But does that mean people couldn't do it? No. This country is about freedom, and the fact that they basically coward down to a country that doesn't want anyone to have any sort of freedom, is wrong. Period. We don't threaten North Korea. They threaten everyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anyone should have to cower down to anyone else because they want to act like upset babies.

^This 100%. Far too much butthurt going on in the world these days. Crap movie or not, Sony has as much right to make the film as those offended have to complain about its existence. Can't please everyone all the time. *shrug*

I saw it and it was typical Pineapple Express/Hangover goofy 'toilet' humor. I had a few laughs and then.........went back to living my life.

Latest posts

Back