My brother

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmph8885

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I decided to write this post because I would really like to share this experience and for once close this chapter of my life. I apologise in advance, as this will be long.
I have an older brother and for some reason, he has been mean with me since I can remember. I know brothers and sisters tend to argue and have conflicts. Yet, I do consider that my brother crossed certain limits and that many things that he did to me were painful and unacceptable. Unfortunately, I let his words and actions affect my life and self esteem.
Ever since we were children, he made everything to harm me and make me cry, such as breaking my toys, teased me until I cried, persuaded other kids to harm me (once he made a group of neighbour kids throw stones at me when I was around 6). He seemed to really enjoy causing me pain and distress. My parents never did much and were always condescending with him and hard on me. I still don't understand my parent's attitude during those years.
As teenagers, things got worse. I was bullied in school by other kids and he would participate and incite many of the humiliations I was put throw. My parents would always be on his side and never believed me. It was in those years when he began to drink heavily and the psychological abuse became physical. He would sometimes punch me and even once he spit on me. He would sometimes say he was sorry but he would eventually do it again. Once again, I had no aid from my parents and all they did was get upset at me for not being able to stand up for myself. Phrases like "you are stupid", "you are ugly", "you are useless", "you are fat", etc were commonly said by him, and unfortunately by my parents as well.
Those years were painful. I was bullied at school and tormented at home by my brother. He was my older brother, he was suppose to protect me, but all he did was made me miserable as much as possible. I never understood why so much hate from him.
The years went by an he didn't change. I could never count on him for anything and always refuse to help me, no matter how desperate I was. If he ever did help me, it was because my parents would make him do it and of course, he would be pissed off and would insult me. He would say how stupid I was all the time, he would even use me as an example of a useless person (things such as "anybody can do it, even my sister can!). I never had absolutely any support or consideration from him. My parents always seemed absent and careless about all these abuse I went through. I suffered in silence for years, which lead me to alcoholism at an early age. To this date, I still struggle with my drinking, I still have self esteem issues and I am very insecure about doing almost everything which has been a limitation for me in many aspects of my life.
We are adults now, he is 33 and I am 30. He has matured a bit, however he is still shallow and insensitive. He has become a bit nicer with me lately, but only after I achieved getting a sponsor to study a PhD abroad. My theory is that he probably thinks that in order for me to gain his respect I should achieve something in my life. They say fraternal love should be unconditional, apparently that doesn't happen in our case. I still don't know how I feel about him. I don't like him of course, I don't know if I love him deep inside. I do know that I want to close this chapter of my life and not care about what he did or does anymore, including his wife (yes, his wife is also a ***** with me, they are truly a match made in heaven).
I guess the moral of the story is don't let how people treat you define you as a person. The world is full of foolish people who judge but never change themselves and this will be until the end of times. All I want to do is say goodbye to all that pain and wish my brother happiness, even if I feel he doesn't deserve it.

You don't have to like him. But it's very nice that you can after all of this wish him happiness.
The only fault is on your's parents side. I don't know why they was such ignorant but now it's probably doesn't matter anyway.
It's very sad if we can't count on our family. I hope you're ok now. In your place, I'd finished contact with him as fast as you can.
Take care!

Unfortunately there are many types of people who visit abuse on small children and siblings such as your brother also fall into that category. Frankly, I would not fault you if you completely cut him out of your life. We can't choose our family but as adults we have the freedom to select who we give our time and energy too. Unless he comes to you contritely and says "I'm so very sorry for what I did to you, please forgive me" (and abusive people rarely do this), he deserves not one more minute of your time.
The nice thing about getting older is that we often gain wisdom and insight into our pasts, hopefully that will be true for you as well.

-Teresa

I'm sorry to hear that you had to endure all that,home is meant to be a safe haven. I moved out of my familys home when I was 16 because my Uncle who lived with us married an oriental lady who used to racially abuse me and call me names everyday,I was told by other family members to ignore it to try and keep the peace. I did forgive her and I have tried on many occasions to try and get on with her as i've got older but have given up because she never changes even if it does leave me isolated from the rest of the family.
I am really happy to hear that you haven't let what happened to you define you,and that you have the courage to forgive and move on,not everyone can do that but if it helps you that's great,good luck with the PhD.

*Hug*
I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. Yes, as children, many siblings do fight, but to continue to put your siblings or anyone down once you begin to know better is foolish and immature. And your parents were wrong to let him continue with that behaviour. But all parents make mistakes. It's clearly affected your adult life and the way you think of yourself. I'm glad you are taking a stand and moving on from this chapter. A little distance wouldn't hurt between you and your brother and his wife. If he's improved even a little as you've said he has, then he could still continue to improve. You both need space, you more than him. Congratulations on the sponsor and good luck with your PhD. He needs to understand you deserve respect as a person and as his sister, and don't need to work to earn it from him.

lmph8885 said:
My theory is that he probably thinks that in order for me to gain his respect I should achieve something in my life.

No, that's not it I think. I think what's going on is that he thinks it makes HIM look good to have a sibling that has a PhD, so he needs to have good relations with you because it increases his own social capital.

Totally selfish and using.

I really hope that you can silence your brother's voice in your head. I say that because I have been unable to silence my father's voice in my head......gone since 2001 and I can still hear him calling me stupid, and more.

So again, I wish for you that all those awful experiences can somehow be 'exorcised' out of your head and not keep haunting you.

HoodedMonk said:
lmph8885 said:
My theory is that he probably thinks that in order for me to gain his respect I should achieve something in my life.

No, that's not it I think. I think what's going on is that he thinks it makes HIM look good to have a sibling that has a PhD, so he needs to have good relations with you because it increases his own social capital.

Totally selfish and using.

Yes, I have also thought about that and I totally agree.

LiLeila said:
You don't have to like him. But it's very nice that you can after all of this wish him happiness.
The only fault is on your's parents side. I don't know why they was such ignorant but now it's probably doesn't matter anyway.
It's very sad if we can't count on our family. I hope you're ok now. In your place, I'd finished contact with him as fast as you can.
Take care!

My parents made many mistakes. I also made a lot of mistakes with them because I grew up feeling angry at them so I wasn't very nice either I admit. They never admitted that they did wrong to me and they would always blame everything on me. They would say that my constant bad mood, my aggressiveness and rudeness towards them was because I had a constant bad attitude, was selfish and spoiled. They did sometimes stand up for me but honestly they didn't do enough in my opinion. They were always blinded by my brother and I even was told one day by my mother that she really preferred him over me. Now they are nice with me too, maybe because they think that I finally achieved something as they always saw me as useless (they would even tell other people how useless I was). I did always received money and gifts from them, material things, so that was they way they had to express their love. They both came from terrible childhoods so that is the reason I believe they are how they are.

constant stranger said:
I really hope that you can silence your brother's voice in your head. I say that because I have been unable to silence my father's voice in my head......gone since 2001 and I can still hear him calling me stupid, and more.

So again, I wish for you that all those awful experiences can somehow be 'exorcised' out of your head and not keep haunting you.

At the moment that is my aim. I think I do have potential but due to my insecurities I act dumb many times. It is very hard for me to concentrate due to my constant depression and sometimes the drinking. So that is why some people around me (including my boss) act as if I am not smart and I am not good enough (a lot of patronising). That makes me sad. I hate being called or treated like a stupid person.

Latest posts

Back