Online Dating Hell: How do I respond to this

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysigh

Reaction score
After swearing off all online dating (having tried all of them and NOT gotten the forementioned 50 emails :p ) I decided to give Zoosk a try. I'm delving into politics here so I'm just going to replace everything with "X" so as not to start some political fight. My profile says I would like someone with the same political views (here I say "that means no X's"). Well I just got this email from a guy there:

Hey thanks to all you X's for voting in X and X the state and the country thanks you all. I can understand why you would'nt want someone with an opposing viewpoint in your life ,you would always be apologizing for being wrong lmao sorry could'nt resist

I really am baffled by this; I mean, for instance, I am not a religious person...would it be appropriate for me to seek out someone who says in their profile that religion is very important to them and want a Catholic/Jewish/Mormon/etc. woman just to send them some shitty email about what I think of their faith? I would NEVER consider doing that.

So do I (1) respond in kind, (2) ignore it or (3) report him for inappropriate content?

Again, I really just don't get this behavior.

And stay away from Zoosk! (Funny how the weirdos came out AFTER I gave them my credit card #...)

Well, what a soft-headed thing to write, I'd say :p

I don't know for sure what I would have done, though I think I would've decided to treat it as simply not worth my time and energy. I would've reasoned the person who wrote it isn't being serious, and thus is not dignified to get anything serious in return, in form of an answer ;)

That sucks, just another jerk. Rebuke nicely. What do you mean you gave them your credit card number?

Pheenix said:
That sucks, just another jerk. Rebuke nicely. What do you mean you gave them your credit card number?

Well like most other sites it claims to be "free" until you want to read or respond to messages, then you gotta pay for membership. I signed up a few weeks ago and today I finally paid for the membership ($100 for six months) so I could read all these "nice" messages...oy.

At a minimum I think I'll tell him to learn how to spell (couldn't, not could'nt).

I wouldn't bother replying, it's not like it's someone you have any interest in getting to know anyway seeing as it's poorly phrased, without any kind of intellectual merit and tedious :rolleyes:

Semi-related side note: the girl I presently like a lot is sort of radically the other end of the political spectrum to me apparently. She really likes the political party I can't stand and I've already had some heated discussions with her like-minded friends.

This means if we ever get together we're going to argue everything constantly and/or engage in passionate, borderline-angry lovemaking. I'm hoping the latter, it actually sounds awesome :p

So you may want to think of those "benefits" before crossing off political opposites :D

Trash it and move on. I'd bet money that half the userbase on zoosk are scammers.

Delete it. Obviously this annoying man just wants a reaction out of you. Spend the rest of the time there that you paid for, if you still don't like it, leave. If you want to leave now, try getting ahold of someone and see if you could get a refund.

Well I've tallied all the votes...will delete the message and block him (and hope it doesn't happen again)...

I admire your ability to stay cool. I'd probably have fired off some snarky comment, and THEN deleted the message and blocked him. When it comes to people being dicks on the internet, I have lost all patience, and suddenly my deep pool of still water becomes a boiling geyser. :rolleyes:

Equinox said:
I admire your ability to stay cool. I'd probably have fired off some snarky comment, and THEN deleted the message and blocked him. When it comes to people being dicks on the internet, I have lost all patience, and suddenly my deep pool of still water becomes a boiling geyser. :rolleyes:

The only thing that kept me from doing that is that he could then make a complaint about me, and saying "but he started it" never works in my favor...oh well, at least it counts towards that 50 emails a day statistic, right? Only 49 more to go...

Ignore it don't respond regardless of one's views that is acrather prickish thing to say, I'm sorry that happened

Mrs Meek strikes again because personally I would have seen it as someone having a stupid laugh and ignored / deleted it.

I have heard of similar things happening to friends of mine. Its like these types of guys just think they have the right to say hateful things to women, and they they wonder why no woman will give them the time of day. Maybe if they werent such misogynistic creeps things would go differently for them!

Latest posts

Back