Overseas and Basically Alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolvoFlyer

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm terrible at introductions. I'm 32 years old, male, and I work overseas in the middle east (not military). I'm originally from Phoenix, Arizona, and my GF and dogs still live there. Because of the time change, our work schedules, etc, we only talk for 20 or so minutes a day.

Here there are the same 100 or so people I talk to and people come and go so much that it is very difficult to make regular friendships. On top of that I'm not good at making friends to start with as I'm a very shy person.

I don't really know what else to say.

Hello VolvoFlyer, welcome to the forum. What do you do for work over there, if that's okay for me to ask?

Sorry you get such little time to talk to your girlfriend. I hope you'll at least find some people to talk to here or connect with to build some new friendships. Good luck.

Hello volvoflyer, welcome!
It can be lonely living so far from home. I live in your neighbourhood- sort of- at the moment. Just look in to other activities to occupy your time until you can get back. Time will pass much more easily. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Hello VolvoFlyer, welcome to the forum. What do you do for work over there, if that's okay for me to ask?

Thank you folks. I work on aircraft, specifically airframes (everything except the engines and computers). It's a fun job and I came over here for money. I'm probably on my last 7 months here, which will equal three years total.

The worst part is the stress this puts on our relationship. She of course has a life back home which creates resentment on my part. I'm good at not having negative feelings but they are difficult to avoid. Hearing about her going out and having fun when I'm confined to a compound or there being no night life in my area is difficult.

I do have some other activities however we don't have much. Usually it consists of working out, video games and TV. Over the few years I've been here I've tried darts, softball, and soccer but none really caught my interest. I miss working on things, like my car, and building things/wood and metal working. I just can't do that here due to a combination of space and money.

Overseas employment postings change everything. Sounds like it was meant to be a temporary tour, living in a compound rather than an actual ex-pat, in-country, living with the locals kind of thing. So it might be kind of an artificial society you're in there, with the "real world" going on without you back in the USA. I can see where that could be disruptive to one's personal social life.

VolvoFlyer said:
ladyforsaken said:

Thank you folks. I work on aircraft, specifically airframes (everything except the engines and computers). It's a fun job and I came over here for money. I'm probably on my last 7 months here, which will equal three years total.

The worst part is the stress this puts on our relationship. She of course has a life back home which creates resentment on my part. I'm good at not having negative feelings but they are difficult to avoid. Hearing about her going out and having fun when I'm confined to a compound or there being no night life in my area is difficult.

I do have some other activities however we don't have much. Usually it consists of working out, video games and TV. Over the few years I've been here I've tried darts, softball, and soccer but none really caught my interest. I miss working on things, like my car, and building things/wood and metal working. I just can't do that here due to a combination of space and money.

It's really nice that you enjoy what you do but yeah, as they say, we can't always have everything we want in life and have got to make sacrifices for the things we want to do or to have. It sounds like quite an interesting job. I'm just sorry it puts a strain on your own personal life and relationship.

Phew, 3 years is a pretty long time. I gotta commend you for your perseverance and patience in your situation. You're not that far from getting out of there though, so I hope you'll hang in there and keep looking forward to being out of there and back home.

hi Volvoflyer! it takes time to find the compatible ones among those 100 people, I hope some with stay there long enough so that you can build friendships

Latest posts

Back