Panic Attacks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GraceBlossom

I suffer from panic attacks from time to time, usually when I am stressed and have a lot on, or if I am feeling low. Sometimes they are so bad they make me sick. Does anyone else here suffer from them, and how do you personally deal with them?

Thanks for reading :)

When i have panic attack i must sit down and breathe deeply 10 minutes. This calms me. :) If i dont make this, i usually do something stupid.

Thanks for the replies :). It is so interesting to see how people deal with them. Thanks for sharing :).

@theglasscell - I have never thought about CBT for panic attacks.

I have panic attacks often too, when I'm very stressed and worried. Can't breathe, lots of shaking and fear of death. I try to take deep breathe and think about something peaceful.

I had very bad panic attacks after an accident for two years, then less often but still regularly every few months for another few years. I dealt with them with huge quantities of tranquilizers, breathing meditation did help, but honestly I got over them in a weird way - at some point I was so tired of all that than when the pain in the heart came, and the terror that I was dying came, for once I thought - it's ok, let me die, I am ready, and I meant it.
After that, the attacks didn't come anymore, or if they do it's harmless, the irrational fear is gone. It's like in fairy tales, when you face the dragon it disappears. I am sure it happened only after several years when I was ready, if I had tried earlier I would have gone mad or something.
Now I also noticed the effects of sugar in making the situation worse, and I try to stay away from sugar.

I get panic attack, but not as often as I used to. My last one was almost 2 weeks ago, and it was after a stressful situation. I usually try and find a quiet, secluded place, breath deeply and just calm myself down.

The below are things that worked for me.

Run if possible, to burn off adrenaline.

Minimize or eliminate: sugar, foods that turn to sugar in blood, caffiene, aspartame, artifical colors, stressful life style, poisonous people, flourescent light.

Forget about: drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.

Get enough of: sleep, water, exercise, yoga, vegetables, omega 3, protein, healthy carbs, keep blood sugar stable.

Going to a doctor and make sure there's nothing physically wrong, addresing what is.

Talking to a therapist.

Additional tricks:
Sunglasses in buildings with flourescent lighting.
Head phones in noisy places like the mall or grocery store.
Emergency healthy snack nuts and apple. Nuts are good-fat and protein apples are stable sugar(just make sure they're fresh and not in heat).
ASMR videos (if you get asmr, otherwise they'll drive you bananas.)
A small cute fuzzy animal that fits in my purse(if its on your key chain even better so no one thinks you're a weirdo :))
Puzzles, math problems, writing or drawing during attack.(math especially).
Brown paper bag works but is totally embarasing lol.
Keep a check on automatic negative thinking every day-A.N.T.S(google). Keep a card listing them in your wallet.
Hold a friends hand and especially a mans. This works very well for women.
There's a technique of willing yourself to have an attack. Supposedly it works but I've never tried it.

I find that every day stress builds like adding drops of water to a glass. The panic attack being the point that it overflows, so that if you have a centimeter to go, just finding a cute dress on sale can set one off(this happened to me :p). If you have an inch to go and you have to go to the airport, that could be enough to set one off. where as if you had 4 inches left because everyday stress was kept in check, you'd be fine at the airport.

Latest posts

Back