Pentagram

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wonderful Sin

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been wondering for a while. Whenever a pentagram comes up, people think Satan or devilry or something of the sort, but in actuality, the Pentagram represents the 5 wounds of Christ, it is only when flipped upside down that it is turned into something of devilry. The same is said for the crucifix and other religious icons. So why do people associate all pentagrams with evil?

(I was debating whether or not this is a debate topic or not, so if it is in the wrong place, simply move it)

hmm cool thread ya your right here's the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram

from
http://www.elemental5.com/pentagram.htm

"it says During the 20th century, The Church of Satan (created by Anton Lavey) inverted the upright pentacle and adopted it as their own symbol. The symbol is most commonly shown with the head of a goat within an inverted pentagram. The Church of Satan's pentagram is point down and symbolizes the five tenets of Satanism, all of which have to do with earthly gratification. "

Although I have read a little bit about satanism it is not the worship of satan but more of a worship of one's self although that is Levay satonism, there is also the lesser known and less common Theistic Satonism , which is the worship of the devil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism

god **** it you made me fall down the wiki hole again, there goes an hour and a half of my time to researching pentagrams and occultism,

it's alright it twas interesting

:)
and doesn't really preach much on forgivness

Genrally it is good, but it is well known as a pagan symbol, so for some people they see it as a sign as witchraft which they view as bad

also here's a quote from wiki about the sign, it's good up but bad upside down

"With a single point upwards it depicted spirit presiding over the four elements of matter, and was essentially "good". However, the influential writer Eliphas Levi called it evil whenever the symbol appeared the other way up.
"A reversed pentagram, with two points projecting upwards, is a symbol of evil and attracts sinister forces because it overturns the proper order of things and demonstrates the triumph of matter over spirit. It is the goat of lust attacking the heavens with its horns, a sign execrated by initiates."[9]
"The flaming star, which, when turned upside down, is the hierolgyphic [sic] sign of the goat of Black Magic, whose head may be drawn in the star, the two horns at the top, the ears to the right and left, the beard at the bottom. It is the sign of antagonism and fatality. It is the goat of lust attacking the heavens with its horns."[10]
"Let us keep the figure of the Five-pointed Star always upright, with the topmost triangle pointing to heaven, for it is the seat of wisdom, and if the figure is reversed, perversion and evil will be the result."[11] "

Also I was wondering about the differnce between pagan and wiccan so i looked it up

"Wicca is a tradition of Witchcraft that was brought to the public by Gerald Gardner in the 1950s. There is a great deal of debate among the Pagan community about whether or not Wicca is truly the same form of Witchcraft that the ancients practiced. Regardless, many people use the terms Wicca and Witchcraft interchangeably. Paganism is an umbrella term used to apply to a number of different earth-based faiths. Wicca falls under that heading, although not all Pagans are Wiccan.

The term “pagan” (derived from the Latin paganus, which translates roughly to “hick from the sticks”) was originally used to describe people who lived in rural areas. As time progressed and Christianity spread, those same country folk were often the last holdouts clinging to their old religions. Thus, “pagan” came to mean people who didn’t worship the god of Abraham.

So, in a nutshell, here's what's going on. All Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccans. All Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans. Finally, some witches are Pagans, but some are not."

from http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/faq/f/DifferencePPW.htm

LOL when I was in high school I knew a guy who was into all the dark, satanic stuff....he was a total poser/loser, though....he'd always run around trying to impress everyone with his "scary" dark knowledge...so one day he decided to carve a pentagram into his wrist.

He proudly came into class one day, the wound clearly out in the open, showing it to everyone...telling them about the history of the pentagram and what powers it gave him. Suddenly, someone started just laughing at him soooooooo loudly, pointing, on the verge of tears with laughter.

So the rest of us gathered around and inspected the carving in the guy's wrist...and we discovered that he had carved the JEWISH STAR into his wrist. He has MISCOUNTED the points, so he had carved SIX points into the star, instead of FIVE.

LOL that was soooooooooooooo hilarious!! XD I don't think the poor guy will ever live that down. Anyway, now he has a life-long memorial on his wrist proclaiming his idioticy to the world. So kids, if you're ever going to carve a pentagram into your wrist while on an angst binge, listening to thrash music, be sure to be smart, OK?

Pentagram = FIVE points. ;)

----Steve

Glad to see you guys are getting into this...

And Jedi, there is this thing on Funnyjunk where a guy thought he was badass and did the same thing into his arm, then people screenshot'd it and made it into its own funny pic.

intesting
i would say its actually medias like movies and heavy metal music
that use it as an evil icon that have changed the way the world
views the pentagram. now weve mentioned wicca, but isnt that
were it the star was originated? i guess i should have read EV91's
report on the subject before making my comment so.....SUE ME!

Badjedidude said:
and we discovered that he had carved the JEWISH STAR into his wrist. He has MISCOUNTED the points, so he had carved SIX points into the star, instead of FIVE.

that is outrageously funny :club:

The Wonderful Sin said:
Well, wicca took it, yes, but again, people associate wicca with evil, when they aren't evil at all...

i don't associate wicca with evil. i know some people do out of ignorance. wicca is neither inherently good or bad. it just is.

The Wonderful Sin said:
I know several Wiccans, and they are nice people lol, I'm just saying most people associate Wicca with evil or Satanists..

Yeah, most people don't get it. Wiccans are actually closer to other pagan philosophies such as Druidism. Wicca has nothing to do with Christian philosophy at all...whereas Satanism is directly connected to Christian philosophy (as they share the same cosmology and core universe settings). Both Christianity AND Satanism believe in the devil....etc etc etc.

But Wicca doesn't really acknowledge a "GOD"....it's a pagan belief, which generally refers to an appreciation/worship of nature.

----Steve

The Wonderful Sin said:
And Jedi, there is this thing on Funnyjunk where a guy thought he was badass and did the same thing into his arm, then people screenshot'd it and made it into its own funny pic.

LOL...Well either it was the same guy, or there are two people in this world dumb enough to pull such a stunt. XD Epic Fail for sure!! :p

----Steve

You know, I have to say that these days, I don't know a lot of people who automatically think of evil when they see Pentagrams. When I was a kid, my friends and I believed that it depended on whether it was inverted or not. So even in the 80's, pentagrams were not automatically associated with evil.

As far as Wicca goes, I remember reading that a lot of Christians polled didn't think Wiccans were evil. Sure, they're supposed to be going to Hell, but that's because Christians believe faith in Christ is the only way to Heaven.

There will always be somebody who slaps negative labels onto anything they fail to understand. People who truly are evil will always find some excuse to hate other people.

Unfortunately people lump pagans in with satanists because they just don't know any better. I think it goes along with the thought process of "not christian" = SATAN!!!!!

Some people are just plain ignorant... Sometimes I think about changing to a Norse belief system, lol... But then I decide against it because I would probably get bored of it eventually lol

But you could have Thor in your personal pantheon, that would be AWESOME!

His hammer gets bigger when he rubs it you know.

Latest posts

Back