positive side of online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
Ok... Something happened today that inspired me to start this thread... I see all the negative or questionable side of the on-line dating scenes & that's based on, among other things, my own personal experiences... I was wondering if anyone had any positive experiences... And I'm not talking about dating sites either... You may or may not have been looking for a romantic relationship... But my question is more towards a relationship that started out from on-line in general, of course dating sites included... It could've been a mutual friend on facebook that got hooked up or some sort of an interest forum that lead 2 people to meet up or etc etc...

I've been seeing a girl I met on an online dating website for almost three months. I've heard plenty of stories about couples meeting online outside of dating sites as well. I would never recommend anyone use the internet as their primary method of meeting people but if two people connect well, I guess it doesn't really matter where they met.

My last relationship was with a woman I met from an online forum. It was one of the best times I've ever had.

Just a look from the outside. When people say only weird people are looking for relationships online, etc., I kinda disagree.
If you are in the game (lets use game for this online getting to know one another thing), that means you are one of people in it. And it may mean someone like you is there as well.
Meaning, if you are looking for a date online, why woudnt there be someone like you as well?

Overall, I have mostly positive opinion about online dating. The world is changing, and new ways for everything emerge. This is now one of them.

I dated a really fun and interesting guy from an online dating site for a few months. Even though it didn't last, I'm glad I got to experience it because I now know how I can "hit it off" with someone via online chatting first. If that makes sense.

I never tried the online dating thing, until about a week ago. I've been weary of it and not too sure about the quality of the people on it. But, I look at the modern age....and it seems like a realistic thing nowadays. I'm a little nervous now of making contact with anyone....lol. I tend to be very very shy. I think I just got to the point of wanting to make human contact, been getting tired of living in my own little world.
In the past, I have played some online games and gotten to know a few people...but never dated anyone online. It was a great experience having this group of gamers, all different ages just to hang out and chat. Too bad everyone sort of lost contact with each other.
Anyways back to the online dating thing....I've had two people contact me. One I've replied back to. And the other one just messaged me today. This one I'm weary about, she is a lot younger than me...so the flags go up. But she does sound very interesting. I don't know if I can handle relationship stuff right now, but would like to make friends etc.
Plus its been a while since I dated anyone......lol

OK I have had positives.

1. You get to chat and get to know someone slowly and without the pressure that comes with having them right in front of you.

2. You get to chat about stuff that you might not talk about in person.

3. You have to chat, there is no activity or movie to hide behind.

4. You can make pen pals on the other side of the world.

5. You can meet and/or chat with people you wouldn't normally be able to.

I haven't heard much offline that would suggest it isn't mainly about sleazy hook-ups and a hell of a lot to say that it is. Like for example one guy showing me the linked profiles on his phone of women he had "met" via a dating site, trying to convince me I should join, that it gets a bad rep and how educated middle class men and women use it too (beside the point imo, still sleazy)

Although someone I knew did find her husband that way, she was very particular (he had to also be from Hong Kong.)

ardour said:
I haven't heard much offline that would suggest it isn't mainly about sleazy hook-ups and a hell of a lot to say that it is. Like for example one guy showing me the linked profiles on his phone of women he had "met" via a dating site, trying to convince me I should join, that it gets a bad rep and how educated middle class women use it too (beside the point imo.)

Although someone I knew did find her husband that way, she was very particular (he had to also be from Hong Kong.)

That stuff happens in real life as well, it just depends on who you talk to in the end just like anywhere else.

I have had good and bad experiences with online dating.

My past 2-3 girlfriends have all been met over the internet, not from dating sites though. A music forum and various online games. Went to America to meet one, France to meet another. You get a holiday and guaranteed sex included!

TEEHEE.

#LAD #LADSBIBLE #NOMOREMRNICEGUY

I get to chat or interact with women who wouldn't give me a second glance if they really knew me !

I know someone who used to work where I work. She is on my face book friend list and she met her husband on OK Cupid and they are very happy. So far I have had no luck on OK Cupid and am actually considering deleting my account. Most of the time I'm a ghost on there, only logging in once in a while. Too many guys just want to hook up and I'm not attracted to most of the guys on there. But this one success story keeps me on it just in case I might, maybe get lucky.

Ok, to be positive and stop complaining about OK Cupid I did meet a couple people in person who are on ALL but they were not dates. It was just to hang out and they are both nice people.

Despite using sites like these it is **** hard to get someone to meet up. The positive side is you get to talk to someone online which helps gaining some social interaction. Too bad none of them really want to meet in person, even if you talk for a week or two, just nothing.

I've never gone through with it but I've browsed those sites several times. I like how you can get a sense of what kind of person they are right away, so you can see if you like their looks or have enough to talk about.

painter said:
My past 2-3 girlfriends have all been met over the internet, not from dating sites though. A music forum and various online games. Went to America to meet one, France to meet another. You get a holiday and guaranteed sex included!

TEEHEE.

#LAD #LADSBIBLE #NOMOREMRNICEGUY

Sounds like you know what you are doing in terms of keeping someone's interest, although you both lived far away from each other. If you don't mind sharing, how were you able to escalate from friends to a relationship with these people, and maintain their interest level?

It seems so much of creating attraction is dependent on meeting people in person, but you seem to have been able to get the same desirable result with very little face-to-face contact.

TheSkaFish said:
Sounds like you know what you are doing in terms of keeping someone's interest, although you both lived far away from each other. If you don't mind sharing, how were you able to escalate from friends to a relationship with these people, and maintain their interest level?

It seems so much of creating attraction is dependent on meeting people in person, but you seem to have been able to get the same desirable result with very little face-to-face contact.

Hmm, you know I'm not sure really. There is no trick or method I consciously thought about while it was happening. I guess they just liked the things I had to say about various topics which sparked their initial interest in me, and we were similar to each other so conversations flowed quite easily and it quickly snowballed into a relationship.

For what it's worth, I've had absolutely zero luck with dating sates (although I don't use them much at all and very rarely message anyone) but I think with forums and online games there is a theme or activity to distract everyone from the getting-into-each-other's-pants game so everyone can chill the fresia out about it and not feel so pressured.

Heheh really I think more people meet partners and form relationships through online games (mmo's in particular) than any dating site. My last girlfriend (the French one) approached me in the game I was playing to ask for help upgrading her gear. I had a bit of a reputation in this game for being an ******* and killing lots of innocent people doing their quests etc, so I guess I had some kind of badboy image thing going on and she was shy and afraid I would tell her to get lost or something, but I'm always happy to help people and usually my bad attitude in the game was just for shits and giggles.
The next time I saw her in game I asked her how she got on with upgrading her honeysuckle and we just started talking, more and more, every day, until we were inseperable, doing all our killing and questing together, just hanging out in the game until we met irl and had awesome times together.
See, if I had met her on a dating site, things may have been so different. There's nothing to "do" on them, besides feel the pressures they bring. It's too brutal and really brings out the worst of both genders.

Latest posts

Back