Post High School D:

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sceptical1

Reaction score
First off, my apologies for only posting on this forum about once a year. I plan to make an effort to become more active in the community because I can honestly say I hold the utmost respect for everyone I have corresponded with here for the past few years. Everyone is very welcoming, I hope to be of some help to anyone here who should need it.
Now onto my post, which I'm not sure is exactly an issue, I'd just like some thoughts on it. I graduated high school on the 8th. I was accepted (to my surprise, I've never made much of an effort to maintain good grades) to a nice private college in Georgia. A good friend of mine applied after I told him about the school; he was intrigued. He's a very ambitious person, me not quite so much. We toured the school together over our spring break and decided we would go together as roommates. I've never really enjoyed school, socially or academically. Nevertheless, I was excited to experience college and live independently. I think, maybe I was excited for the wrong reasons. I think in the west, we value education for the end result and not the opportunity it provides. More on that later.
I don't remember if I've already discussed this in my previous posts, but I live alone with my mother. She was laid off over two years ago now and her unemployment benefits have run out. She occasionally gets consulting jobs, which is how we've managed to stay afloat. I've known that in order for me to go to college I'd need some very good aid. I've never been a very exemplary student or athlete, so I didn't qualify for many scholarships. My only real hope was FAFSA. Unfortunately my mother ran into some trouble with the state over taxes in February (not entirely her fault). The state froze her bank account and mine, since it was in her name. All our money was gone, luckily she received a check in the mail from a consulting job a few days later. She won't be able to open an account in her name until she pays the state all the money she allegedly owes them and they've even gone as far as to garnish a portion of her paychecks from her part time job at the grocery store. All our money is in an account in my name. The FAFSA forms require detailed tax information. Hers is so messed up she wasn't able to file the forms at all.
My mother keeps telling me things will work out and I'll be going to college in the fall, but she's only kidding herself. I don't think she wants to accept reality. I think she feels like a failure. I don’t see her that way, and I think that these circumstances are basically beyond her control. Maybe she thinks I’ll take out tons of loans, but I’m not willing to do that, after what I’ve seen I think loans aren’t financially secure and only subject to get worse. I think my mom needs me, I help her pay bills with the money I make at my job. Without me at home, I don’t think she’ll survive financially or emotionally and I don’t feel right leaving her alone. I’m afraid to tell her, but I plan to stay at home this year.

To be honest, I have a feeling this may actually be what was supposed to happen. I’m not sure how thrilled I was about going to college this year. I think it may be the wrong decision for the wrong reasons. My whole life has been centered around school thus far, surviving academics, adhering to rules, creating and maintaining relationships. I was never as successful at any of this as most of my classmates. I don’t know that higher education is right for me as most other people feel is right for them, at least not yet. I think many young people rush into education and focus on everything but what they’re paying for. I’m probably the same, I’m afraid that education may be wasted on me as my high school education was. Maybe my situation is just a sign that I’m not ready yet, and maybe I never will be. At this point I couldn’t really say.
I have many things I wish I could do with my life, and most of them are pretty difficult to achieve. I don’t think I’ll be happy with myself until I’ve at least attempted a few of my them. Instead of going to school this year I’m considering taking guitar lessons and piano lessons because I’ve always been into music and I’d like to improve my playing. I’m already working on recording an album that I’m close to half way done with. I’d also really like look into private martial arts lessons, partly for self defense and partly because I’m interested in the dedication and creativity it takes to develop proficiency in something like that. I’m sort of afraid that the lessons would end up being something like Rexkwondo though :p. I also have a friend who is trying to become a comedian, and the two of us may work together on several skits in our free time. I’d like to try to get about 30 hours at work as well each week, and I’d kind of like it to be a regular schedule though I’m not sure whether that’s realistic. I work at Papa John’s and it’s a good job, but for some reason I’m not content with it. It is minimum wage, so I know I can expect frustration. For some reason I’m getting increasingly dissatisfied though. I don’t own a car, and the store is about 3 miles away from our apartment. Often times I find myself walking to work. And lately my hours have been steadily decreasing. There’s a Domino’s literally right next to our apartment complex, and they told my mom they could hire me around the end of July and offer 30 hours a week. That would make my life much easier. At the same time though, Papa John’s has treated me really well and a lot of the people there are really nice. I have a sense that maybe I’d be leaving a great opportunity behind by switching to Domino’s and I’m not really sure why, though I do know leaving my job for a competitor isn’t very loyal. I’m sure an internal struggle about which pizza place I should work at sounds silly to most of you, but that’s just how it is for me. I don’t know if I should go with what I feel would be right or by impulse.
I want to change the way I live my life from how I have been living it. My high school is about 25 miles from where I live (I was a magnet student) and there was no school bus that ran there. Often times I’d have to take 3 or 4 city buses to get there and somewhere in the middle of that I’d still have to walk a considerable distance to get there. Most school events would easily be 10 miles away from me. I’ve found a martial arts school and a music studio within half a mile from where I live and then there’s the job at Domino’s. I could walk everywhere, and pretty much never go beyond a one mile radius. I don’t wanna travel into the city anymore or deal with all the people, I want to stay in one place for once and see what it’s like. I also want to grow out my hair. Strange I know, but I think I should try growing out beyond my shoulders at least once in my life. I plan to exercise more often too, but then who doesn’t? I also want to start reading up on subjects that interest me, maybe someday I’ll even read The Elegant Universe. I’m not sure where my friendships stand, I feel that many people will go away to college and forget me and if they do I guess I’m better off without them anyway. I haven’t talked to many of my friends for the past few weeks because I’ve been tired of them.
So I don’t know if this is just my subconscious’ way of compensating for staying here, and I don’t how much of this will really happen. What do you think though? Sorry, I know this post is long and encompasses a lot, I'd just like some input.

I can't read, big wall of text...

But as far as high school drama, you leave all that behind in high school. Unless you go to college with people that you went to high school with, none of that matters anymore. You make new friends, you form new social circles, and you have a good time.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I can't read, big wall of text...

But as far as high school drama, you leave all that behind in high school. Unless you go to college with people that you went to high school with, none of that matters anymore. You make new friends, you form new social circles, and you have a good time.

Haha yeah it's pretty long, but thanks. I'm tired of dealing with people from school.

I haven't read the main post (again big wall of text) but you have to remember that high school only matters in high school. Outside of that it dies a quick and sudden death.

(It kind of helps to read the post if you want to respond appropriately, just sayin' :p)

You know, in a number of countries, it's very normal for people your age to take what is known as a 'gap year' to find themselves before they start college. I think in most situations it's much preferable, it gives the person a chance to mature, find themselves and actually think about what they would like to do with their lives. It also helps many people enjoy the college experience more - then they are going in with a plan. Far too many people start college because they feel they "have" to and merely end up wasting their own time and everyone else's because they are not suited for the program, for the lifestyle, don't know what they want to study, or whatever else about the experience and end up dropping out.
And oftentimes, it's more economically wise to study a trade instead of pursuing a standard college degree - depending on your field. But, taking time off will allow you to decide all this - you might decide it's not what you want at all. Just remember the old saying - the longer you stay out of school, the more difficult it will be to go back.

And if you do decide to go, you are right in thinking that your mother's tax issues will negatively effect your ability to get government aid. There are some exceptions to this and your school's financial office could help, but generally if money is a concern it's a much better idea to go to a state school as opposed to a private school.

Well I did read it all, and have no useful advice but just wanted to say I feel for you, and those are some tough choices to have to make. Loyalty vs. a potentially better job, investing in college (and I take it you don't enjoy being in school) vs. just focusing on doing things you actually enjoy...

But looking on the bright side, I don't think any of these decisions would be wrong, so anything you choose has the potential of working out well.

(And congrats on graduating by the way! :))

I read your entire post!

Let me tell you...at 17 I started working a full-time job...at 22 - I have a lot of investments and money!
However, after 5 years in the working world; only NOW I have somewhat of an idea of what I'd like to do.
At 17, I thought that job would be the be-all end-all and that I would retire there.
Circumstances have changed, and at least I: a) Am more responsible and have direction, b) Can pay off my $20,000+ schooling in full, c) Am more mature and can manage my depression and time significantly better.

Don't force yourself to go to school if you don't have strong ambition...otherwise you'll end up $20,000+ in debt and it will have been wasted money. What if in the end - you drop out because you realize you only joined the program for the wrong reasons? A lot of my classmates went into Bachelors for Writing, Artsy stuff etc or just simply forced themselves because their parents made them - and they're still unemployed and their debt only keeps building. Their debt has become their parents' debt!

You don't have the luxury of blowing your parent's money like a lot of kids here that take supporting costs for granted.
If I were in your situation; I'd switch to Domino's just to be at a better location - but if you REALLY, REALLY love your co-workers and feel it's worth to travel all the way for them - then stay and don't complain. :p

But loyalty to a particular chain? All businesses are competiting with each other. If it's not Domino's; it's any other place itself that would serve food. Are you going to limit yourself like that? If you do it'll be hard for you in the future - because again, every business is in competition. Also, I doubt you'll be staying there until you retire...and they'll understand. You're young and have a long ways to go.

And schooling - when you do decide you want to pursue it...look around for in-demand jobs. I'm grateful I didn't go into photography otherwise I'd be knee-high in debt and it's a shaky source of income especially when one isn't a super god-send of talent.

Mind you - this is all just my opinion...it's ulimately up to you to decide what you feel is right.

(Also, see if you can help your mom with work somehow...I helped mine find a good job and thank god - what a relief! She's making good money and leaves me alone now...:p)

I think that's great that you are concerned about your mother and try to help out. Only go to college if it's really what you want to do. It sounds like you have some plans or ideas that you sound happy with like the martial arts classes and music. If you don't like your current job with it being minimum wage, you could try some other jobs that pay a bit more while currently working so you always have money coming in. A random idea.. if you don't want to do the college and stay near your mom, you could live where you are, but move closer so there's less traveling. (of course you'd have to find a job that pays more I'd assume) but that's just an idea I'm putting out there. As for getting a loan.. if you have to.. try to get a fixed loan. If you don't wanna go to college this year.. and have doubts..just wait it out and think about it more.

Hi Sceptical,

First of all, I feel sorry about your situation and what you have to go through. No young person of your age should have to be left behind due to lack of money while peers go on to get education... However, to be honest I don't like your plan for what you are going to do next year. From the way you describe it, I get the feeling that you are just tired of everything and want to take it easy for a year. Well, everyone needs a vacation or at least a relaxed period of time, but a year seems like a long time to spend on things like martial arts and music lessons. What will happen at the end of the year? Do you hope to discover your purpose, or could you get stuck working minimum-wage jobs and de-stressing with music and exercise for year after year? I think you could achieve so much more with your life. I agree that college is expensive, but there are also many trade and certificate programs available that take less than two years (some only a few months), which would give you skills that merit much higher earnings than the minimum wage. You can even work part-time while studying. My advice is: if you are losing perspective and feel confused, talk to smart people and ask them for advice.

PS If your hours at Papa John's have been decreasing, why not take up a part-time job at Dominos in addition to your current job, and see how it goes? It's so kind of you to take on all this work to help your mom - she must be really proud of you :)

I think you can grow up at any age. Hell, I'm almost 30, and still don't know what I want to be. Still learning and growing, even at my advanced age.

You just can't give up. And you can't let the bullies get you down. Most likely, if you end up with a good job, they will WORK for you, and you get to order them around. Lots of fun! ;)

Latest posts

Back