Public Speaking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supra934

Reaction score
Anyone else have issues with this? I don't understand how to handle it. We get cold called in Law school classes -- so you don't know it's coming and then if it seems as if you may not know what you're talking about or haven't done the reading, the teacher will really want to make you look like an ass. I get shaky hands almost everytime I'm called on and I cant help it.

The classes arent even big, maybe 150 people total. The thing is, im not even nervous, I get shaky for 5 seconds then it stops. When I raise my hand, or have to make an argument in court and know what I'm going to say beforehand- im fine. I just dont get how to stop this!!! To top it off, i start getting nervous that my hands might shake and it just gets worse.

What helped me was to simply understand that everybody goes through this. The whole class understands how you feel. After all they are all feeling the same thing, if they show it or not. And what a better place to feel comfortable than speaking in front of a room full of peers that understand exactly how you feel giving public speeches. It may seem like the teacher wants you to fail but chances are they don't. And the student's in class with you certainly want to see you do well because it makes them that much more confident that it's no big deal. Anyway, nervousness is natural in public speaking. Everyone has it, but it gets easier to control with experience. As my public speaking teacher used to say, "When you get butterfly's in your stomach, make them fly in formation. Use that exhilaration from nervousness to empower yourself." That always helped me. Hope it does the same for you.

The way I look at it is this (especially for law, which is sometimes highly subjective anyway... arguments based, I mean):

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, AS LONG AS WHAT YOU SAY SOUNDS CONVINCING.

Seriously. As long as you can give the image of confidence, then others will naturally assume that you know what you're talking about, EVEN IF what you're saying flies against all logic. :)

The reason you get cold-called is to get rid of these problems or learn how to cope with them.

Like many fears, it can only really go away through exposure therapy.

Sean said:
You couldn't pay me 500 bucks to get infront of 150 people and talk.

lol its not that bad - not worth 500 bucks atleast. All these tips are good and i've tried all of them. It's just weird, i don't actually feel nervous...but i get shaky. The shakes only last for a few seconds and theyre gone, i just wish it wouldnt even start to happen.

^^^Well if it's just shakes, then it's nothing to worry about! :D

I LOVE speaking in front of crowds and generally making an ass of myself performing for people onstage, but right before I get up there in front of everyone, I get a little sick to my stomach. Nothing bad, just some nausea for a couple of minutes and then it's gone and I'm good to go! Honestly, it's not that bad and I can definitely stand going through it again and again.

If a little bit of the shakes is all you have to deal with, consider yourself lucky and just learn to live with it as a part of who you are! :D

Shakes is fine and totally normal, yeah.

When I took my Fire Instructor class we had to do two presentations of 5 and then 15 minutes. My first 5 minute presentation was on disassembling, cleaning, and maintaining a piece of fire equipment that I'm incredibly familiar with. But my hands and voice were shaking so bad that I had to have a friend of mine hold part of the prop! Lol.

After that, my 15 minute went much smoother. The instructor said it was a 100% improvement. It DOES get easier and they DO go away.

Good on ya for keeping with it.

Forget about everyone else. Go for it. Don't shout, but imagine someone standing in the furthest away part of the room who needs to hear you. Speak loud enough for them.

Look JUST over the heads of the people you're meant to be addressing.

Speak slowly. Force yourself to speak slowly - it's difficult.

Say whatever you say with confidence. Even if you feel like you're waffling.

It's scary the first few times. You'll hopefully get used to it really quickly, get comfortable with it soon after that, and wonder what you were ever worried about.

And I know saying that is NO help whatsoever, so hopefully the other stuff ^^^ will help.

I've done this - not the same as you but I'm sure the nerves were the same !
At my daughters wedding, her father (my ex) let her down badly at the last minute, my son was called in to 'give her away' and I had to do the 'father of the bride speech' - I was horrified and a nervous wreck just thinking about it - I made my 'notes' which surprisingly came out of the blue - and I didn't change them - I was shaking terribly when a 'red coated 'Peer of the Realm' called me to give the speech (this is England we're talking about!)
I dont remember anything about it - but viewing the video afterwards it seemed I had made a good representation of myself and more importantly of my daughter - and it had all gone down well - but I wouldn't want to do it again !
At the time she was 'into' the record producing business and there were lots of people who I considered 'above me' but they were all very nice and afterwards congratulated me on a 'well thought out' speech - ha! if only they knew.
Ninjacat

supra934 said:
PsychoBilli said:
Plutonium said:
Thanks to this thread, I am now terrified about going to law school...

lol dont worry about it if you're actually going to do it. Everyone is terrified the beginning of 1L year.
Do i get in the same situation as you, if im interested in corporate law? Only in high school hahaha :rolleyes2:

Not really sure how law school works :club:

I have no problem speaking in front of a group, I love doing it. I have no problem interacting with people on a professional level, but when it comes to social situations I freeze up and can barely communicate above grunts and groans.

Harold_King said:
I have no problem speaking in front of a group, I love doing it. I have no problem interacting with people on a professional level, but when it comes to social situations I freeze up and can barely communicate above grunts and groans.

I feel as if i have the exact opposite problem.

Plutonium -- Yeah, law school is sort of famous for the socratic method and professors trying to embarrass 1L's. Also, you don't really major or concentrate in any one particular area as you would in college. Don't stress about it all lol - you're a kid, law school is still a long way out.

Latest posts

Back