Re-starting in a new country????

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerardo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope you're all doing great :)

I'm writing this, because lately, my feelings of loneliness have hit me even harder than usual. It seems the more success I achieve in my professional life, the more distant I get from people (aside from family, all of which I love very much). Lately, I passed my engineer license exam, and I'm finishing my Master's Degree in just a few months. I was ecstatic when I received the letter with the results saying that I passed the license exam, so much that I even started jumping like crazy, especially since I had been so depressed that I didn't touch a single book a month and a half before the exam. But.... although I was proud of myself, I also realized I didn't have anyone to celebrate it with.

And you know, I've tried to contact my friends, yet no one answers back. And that hurts even more. I've also made some new friends at work (which is a relatively new job, since I've been there for 3 months). Just yesterday we went to the theater to see a comedy play, and then hang out a little. The play was fun, as well as hanging out to a certain extent, though I couldn't feel more odd. Both of the people I went out with (one male and one female) are married, and both of them went with their couples. I just felt terribly out of place.

A few months ago, I met with one of my old professors by chance, and we talked for a while to catch up. He told me I would recommend me to go after a Phd. To be honest, I wasn't too interested, because I'm a little tired of studying and working so much. But a few days ago, I started thinking about it, and the idea sounded attractive.... as long as I did it somewhere else. I contacted another professor and friend of mine, who is also one of the deans in my university, and after listening to me, he told me he has connections in Barcelona, Spain, and he could recommend me.

It sounds really nice, and perhaps it'd be cool to get the experience of living in an entirely different culture for a few years, and get to meet new people. Also, I'm still relatively young (28), so I have the energy to deal with that. Also, since spanish is my native language, I don't have to deal with the language barrier. On the bad side, in here I have a stable job with a big company, and I'm paid very well. I had to study through loans and grants, and right now I'm paying my loans. Moving to another place would mean giving it up, yet I still have to continue repaying my student loans. I'd like to do research and see if there's any big multinational company established over there, which hires engineers and that would benefit of having a bilingual employee. But we all know the world economy is in a bad state, and finding a job is hard.

What would you all recommend??? Sorry if this is long!

hmmm well how long is the opportunity in spain available?
maybe you could work for a few more months then go to spain

have you ever been there before?
or done a lot of traveling

have you always wanted to go to spain?

if you've really wanted to go to spain then go for it

but if you really haven't given it much thought then maybe you shouldn't

i hope this helps a little

evanescencefan91 said:
hmmm well how long is the opportunity in spain available?
maybe you could work for a few more months then go to spain

have you ever been there before?
or done a lot of traveling

I've actually been there. I traveled to Portugal, Spain, and France about two years ago. Have lots of photos as well! From Spain, I actually went to Barcelona, Madrid and Santiago de Compostela. It was great. Barcelona is actually an artsy place.

The opportunity could be for Augusto 2010, or January 2011. I still have to finish my Master's first.

I really would like the experience. Being alone is no big deal, since I'm always alone here. Although being alone in an unknown place is another thing altogether. But perhaps I could learn a lot from that as well.

Thanks! I hope to see more recommendations!

I'd say pay your loans back first before moving to another country that way it frees up some money that you otherwise wouldn't have had.

Also check up how much it's going to cost you for medical care, I know non residents here in Australia pay anything up to and over $900 just to go and see their doctor, and that was for a bladder infection. They did have medical insurance but I don't know what portion of that was covered.

It's really up to you but why spoil what you already have, you can have the best of both worlds while you financially can.

Hi Gerardo,
I am Spanish although I live in Ireland. I agree with Samba in that paying your loans first is important. If you are already dealing with loneliness you dont need to add more worries. Loosen the burden as much as you can before you leave your comfort zone.
Apart from that I can tell you that Spanish people can be veeeery dramatic or very happy .... so my advice to you is, on arriving in Spain sorround yourself with beauty and good happy people and enjoy the outdoors... the climate and the enviroment can help you to feel well and grounded. I wish you luck in any decision you make. :)

Thanks to both of you! The thing with the loans is that the quantity is too large to pay quickly (it'll take about 10 years to pay them). I'm going to get oriented to see if there's any chance of landing a job over there. If not, then I'll have to make with traveling once a year to different places.

Sara, how's Ireland? I'd like to go on vacations over there! I've actually been to Spain. I went to Santiago de Compostela, Barcelona, and Madrid. I loved all of them! In Santiago de Compostela, I was lucky to have arrived there the day the pilgrimage ended. I actually saw the Bota Fumeiro ritual, and the monks waving the giant incense thingy (don't know the name of that in english :p).

The Butafumeiro is exactly the name of the ritual but also of the incense giant thingy...
Ireland is beautiful..., the rain is awfull....it is very expensive country and I am having enough of it after 11 years....I am thinking on going back to the mediterranean in say one or two year...as soon as i see an opportunity.
wow!! two years paying loans is a long time....!! Hope you winn the lotto soon :p

Latest posts

Back