Religion in relation to depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you religious?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
I'm sorry trz, your statement is false. Go read my post, you'll see that for a fact. I believe in God, I believe in a hereafter. If you want more details I'll give them to you, I'll tell you why I learned a long time ago that God isn't responsible for other peoples actions. I am not a happy person right now, haven't been for weeks, I'm on the verge of just breaking down and crying I am so stressed out. I'm a man and yes I want to cry. Then you sit here and say "yes, religion helps against depression" when from your posts it seems you have no basis for that statement whatsoever. When I pray at night I don't ask God why, I don't ask for him to make it all better, I only ask him to bless those I care about and for good health. He's not responsible for how I feel right now.

i find it funny you say i'm acting stupid when you are the one making insidious claims based on absolutely nothing with no ability to back them up. :p

edit: directed at trZ

You guys are really tempting me here, I've used so many hours reading and studying religion just to prove to my self how wrong it all is, but I have gone wrong in discussing it so many times before, so you win. I'm out.

GUYS.

Seriously. This isn't a debate.

If you want to talk about religion, start a new thread in the debate section.

Of corse there links to depressiom
due to religion.

A religion is an IDEA or BElIEFS system. Every fucken religion
thinks their belefs is the one an only...which still comes back ro
MY WAY OR THE FUCKEN HIGH Mentality...Then the competing
and compairing. The the judgmental
Bullshi
If giult is over empysized then it becomes a control issue.
The control..you opress and surpress which leads to depression.
The lessons they want to to learn..which bascilly saying theylre
better than you and know more than you....which throws EQUALITY out the door. Which fucks with your self worth and self esteem .

Theres a lot of different religion or beliefs system in this world...So you gatta stay openminded to that..
but if someone wants to U control to their idea....theyll use guilt ..saying stupid honeysuckle such as." your going to hell" its a sin..blah...blah..blah
Basically manipulations in the name of GOD.
Religion in itself is not bad...its how humans use it.

Sci-Fi said:
I'm sorry trz, your statement is false. Go read my post, you'll see that for a fact. I believe in God, I believe in a hereafter. If you want more details I'll give them to you, I'll tell you why I learned a long time ago that God isn't responsible for other peoples actions. I am not a happy person right now, haven't been for weeks, I'm on the verge of just breaking down and crying I am so stressed out. I'm a man and yes I want to cry. Then you sit here and say "yes, religion helps against depression" when from your posts it seems you have no basis for that statement whatsoever. When I pray at night I don't ask God why, I don't ask for him to make it all better, I only ask him to bless those I care about and for good health. He's not responsible for how I feel right now.

Hey Sci Fi, sorry to hear you're not feeling well these days. Hope things start looking up for you.

To to OP: Religion makes me feel more depressed. Once I realized I don't believe in an afterlife or in god (I call myself a humanist these days), I've felt much happier with my life.

Teresa

Religion hasn't had a place of importance in my life since around the age of 9 or 10. Have I been depressed/suicidal at various points in life between then and now? Yes, I have, and I have seen to it that I get through those tough times (with support of family and friends if needed) on my own terms and in my own way. I don't need some invisible being(s) in the sky to fall back on for things that I am capable of fixing myself.

Some people (but not everyone) need religion though. They need that sense that everything will be alright somehow so they can push on in tough times, and putting their faith in a god is their way of doing it. This isn't meant to be inflammatory or say that religion is a weakness/crutch, it's just simple, blunt truth.

Badjedidude said:
GUYS.

Debates about religion are NOT allowed.

Don't listen to Jedi. (D)

Jedi :club:

VanillaCreme said:
Badjedidude said:
GUYS.

Debates about religion are NOT allowed.

Don't listen to Jedi. (D)

Jedi :club:

YEAH!!! Don't listen to Jedi :club:
(mhm, I just wanted to club him :D )

As far as the topic of the thread is concerned. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. People can have the SAME beliefs and still have different opinions.
One person (religious, mind you) may feel that their life is their own and they are responsible for the outcome of what happens (good or bad). Whether they are depressed or happy or whatever is due to the consequences of their actions and so God (or whoever/whatever they belief in) has nothing to do with this.
The next person (also religious) may feel that it is God's responsibility to make them happy, to "show" them the correct path and to DO something about the mess that is their life. So naturally, to their way of thinking, it is God's fault they are depressed and their life sucks.

I'll leave it at that as I can't really go into non religious, as I've never been non religious or any religion but my own. So looking at it from this perspective, religion MAY help if you have the right attitude about religion, but like anything, there's no guarantee that it will.

I'm not hundred percent sure but I was majorly depressed I found a lot of strength in religion so I guess it helps reduce depression

I think if someone is religious to please their family or doing it for someone else.. it can bring depression. Otherwise, I think it can bring peace into peoples lives.

(This is probably old, I found it from related threads)

From my experience, religion doesn't keep you from getting depressed. It doesn't even keep you from dying, if you are pushed far enough. It simply gives you a choice.

It helps provide a "core", something at the center of who you are, that says "okay, this is important to me, this I care about, enough to keep living." This is also why I have serious misgivings people declaring themselves atheist. To be truly atheist, and not simply rejecting the current prevailing religion (which makes you agnostic instead), means you have nothing that keeps you going, no "core". But then, I doubt many people who say they don't follow any religion, are in fact true atheists/nihilists.

The key to effectiveness of religion in this regard is that it must be true to you (because, after all, it's your "core"). If "Jesus died for me" is what keeps you going, fine. But in many cases, this "core" (or "God") is actually something more along the lines of "my family will grieve if I die." That's your religion. It's not an organized religion, but it motivates your continued existence.

To say that atheists have no core says more about your inability to understand how a person can live without religion, rather than atheists actual quality of life.

the way ive always seen it is that religion is completely separate from the ability to believe in a higher power. anyone that says they are 100% sure there is a higher power is being just as ridiculous as those that say they are 100% sure there is not a higher power. simply because there is no way to know. im not going to question what anyone uses to get themselves through the day or through life as long as it doesnt not affect my life or personal beliefs as well as those of others. when religion becomes organized is when things like that start to happen but it is not always the case. i personally just do not have the capacity to believe in any sort of religion or higher power because it is just not how my brain works. i think that if there is a higher power it has no direct influence on what happens on this planet. i think the world is the way it is because we have made it that way. if i had to pick a definitive yes or no answer on whether or not i believed in a higher power i would pick no because i think that more than likely both the concepts of religion and a higher power are man made and resulted because of our desire and curiosity of the unknown. i think there is a reason that these things developed at a more primitive time in our species existence because we knew so little about the world at those times in comparison to now. most major religions rely on things that if someone attempted to claim now they would more than likely be seen as crazy. this is just my opinion and i have always tried to live by the saying "live and let live" and as a result of that i have friends that range from athiest to mormon. someones religion or belief in a higher power has nothing to do with their morals or level of decency as a human being. there is a certain level of decency for other people and other life in general that has nothing to do with religion or ones beliefs. overall i think its more important to believe in yourself then it is to believe in a higher power and that in the right context religion works better as a guide.

Religion may help some folks, but I don't think it helps in any way that something non-religious couldn't. Being an atheist in a religious community is a bother though.

@bulmabriefs144: Not to be rude, but you don't seem to have the best grasp of atheism and agnosticism. Firstly, they're not mutually exclusive. I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't claim to know no higher powers exist, but I don't believe in any. The way you said "atheists/nihilists" is odd. That makes it seem like they're very similar, but they aren't. Also, the concept of needing something to keep you going is silly. I'm still going, so are all the other species of animals that don't care for higher powers.

Lone Apothecary said:
Religion may help some folks, but I don't think it helps in any way that something non-religious couldn't. Being an atheist in a religious community is a bother though.

@bulmabriefs144: Not to be rude, but you don't seem to have the best grasp of atheism and agnosticism. Firstly, they're not mutually exclusive. I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't claim to know no higher powers exist, but I don't believe in any. The way you said "atheists/nihilists" is odd. That makes it seem like they're very similar, but they aren't. Also, the concept of needing something to keep you going is silly. I'm still going, so are all the other species of animals that don't care for higher powers.

Let me put it this way (actually, I probably shouldn't put it at all, or risk a religious war, but here goes). Let's assume a theoretical person and name him Roger Smith. Hmmm, how to put this...

...Read Paul Tillich. He talks in (either "Dynamics of Faith" or "The Courage to Be") that "faith is the absolute concern" (or was it ultimate). In other words, Roger Smith isn't really a Christian, or Buddhist, or whatever, these are just titles. The "religion" or "God" of Roger Smith is RogerSmithism. Whatever he believes, whoever he is, basically everything, up to including what coffee he likes for breakfast, is all contained inside RogerSmithism.

(Also, I probably misunderstood what I was reading, as Tillich was back in college) Anyway...

The reason I have a beef with the word atheist, is it's like saying that suddenly this guy loses what makes him himself and becomes like a clone of everyone else, or zombie, or tomato/whatever (even his name is lost, and I will no longer call him ***** *****). To me, "God" is not defined as "some fluffy old man (or whatever) in the sky." It's "what makes purpose and existence" (and to be perfectly clear, it's not "something that makes people have purpose" but rather "the state of having purpose/existing"). One's "God" is one's "soul" (whether or not you believe in souls, more or less, one's existence and/or personality). Thus, if you can't even believe in your own beliefs, you're synonymous with nihilist.

A person who does not believe in conventional religions or the existence of deities, is one who doubts, or believes such truths are unknowable. But they are hardly a nihilist, and if the working definition I was going by holds true (whatever one's "core" is, even atheism, is one's "God"), then atheism is a logical paradox, and to avoid reasoning something along this, it's better to say agnostic. There are vast gradations of agnosticism from being almost a believer in some religion to being agnostic only in name, and pretty much not caring about religion at all.

Btw, the word religion means literally to "reconnect" (lig- root is where you get words like ligament which are connecting tissues in the body). What are you reconnecting with? Yourself and other people. You don't need a complex belief system for that.

"What makes you continue to exist" is just that. Let's say you had all the proof in the world, that you weren't real. Could you unbelieve yourself out of existence? (hint: no.) This same "whatever" thing (we're not using the words "souls, God, or core" anymore) is apparently possessed by everything in this world, even rocks and such. Understanding what is about you that you value can save your life (but only if you want it to, which is why some people are saved by their religion and some throw their lives away anyway). This is also why Buddhists correctly can be called "atheists" they actually don't believe in self.

So to conclude, religion can relieve depression, or since it is based off personal belief framework, can in a lonely/disconnected person, actually make that person more depressed.

(I'm a theology minor, who instead of becoming a priest or theologian, became a gardener. Don't ask.)

Those are some rather interesting views. If I agreed with your definitions, I'd agree with you, but I define some things differently.

I define theism as belief in a god/gods, and atheism is a lack thereof. I define agnosticism as believing we know nothing of god/gods (we've no evidence). I define a god as a supposed supernatural power beyond the constraints of our universe that is somehow able to affect our universe in some cases. When I say I'm an atheist, I'm in no way losing myself; I'm dismissing god. To me, my "core" is my mind and self-awareness. I see no reason to define that as a "god" or a "soul." Referring to it as "the self," "the core," or something along those lines is reasonable, but I don't like applying a supernatural aspect to it.

Lone Apothecary said:
Those are some rather interesting views. If I agreed with your definitions, I'd agree with you, but I define some things differently.

I define theism as belief in a god/gods, and atheism is a lack thereof. I define agnosticism as believing we know nothing of god/gods (we've no evidence). I define a god as a supposed supernatural power beyond the constraints of our universe that is somehow able to affect our universe in some cases. When I say I'm an atheist, I'm in no way losing myself; I'm dismissing god. To me, my "core" is my mind and self-awareness. I see no reason to define that as a "god" or a "soul." Referring to it as "the self," "the core," or something along those lines is reasonable, but I don't like applying a supernatural aspect to it.

Well said. Dismissing the concept of god doesn't mean you're losing anything if you consider god an outside entity. To me, my "core" is also something rather like my mind and my identity and not believing in god is part of that.

Latest posts

Back