Should I do it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calm

Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I have been thinking a lot. A lot about going abroad, moving away from this shitty atmosphere. After I have finished college, if I graduate...

The thing is, though, that I am a poor fresia. So the travelling has to be done on very low costs. I know some people who have hitchhiked half the world, gone to middle east and all europe for around 200$. But this is from East Europe, not America. I live in East Europe.

But I plan to hit South America, New Zealand or Australia. That means fair amount of money is going to be spent on flight tickets. Through some rare chance I might be able to find cargo ship tickets for the same price, which would give me a week in solitude on the sea, possibly visiting briefly couple of other countries and having 3 meals each day. Even better on French ship, where food is usually good. That would be my dream.

What I plan to do is find voulenteer work, real work or live in community. Volunteer and/or community life is possible in South America, I have already found couple of places of interest. Thing is though, most volunteer places oddly also want money, which I don't understand. However, some communities are free or very cheap, living off from land.

Ok, now to the point:

If I go there, I won't be able to afford a return ticket. And I plan to stay there for at least 3 months, to get used to, and if I like it then long enough. So, should I worry about return ticket? I could be stuck there forever, not able to see my family.

I come from very poor family, raised only by mother making minimum wage. So no financical help from there, and I wouldn't want it from her, because she needs it more. Here comes the dilemma.

I should stay here, study hard and get a decent job and provide for my mother and my gf. But I just can't see myself doing that, loser that I am. I know so many people who have gotten messed by the system that I've learnt to despise the system, office work and making money on others expense. I have never understood how humanity works, since the day 1. First year at elementary school was very mind confusing, as I understood that people lack any logical thought and can be so selfish.

I also know a few people who have gone abroad to do various odd jobs and live off from whatever comes into their way, from their stories it is great experience. But they are all girls, which means men like them and they get noticed more easily, finding all kinds of jobs from manual labour to teaching children. And they come from decent families with no financical issues, one even from very rich family. They get the cheapest flights but they never actually have to worry about anything if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong with me, I am messed.

I know this would be great life experience, but it is really hard decision for me. I am sick of this life and I haven't travelled much either. I am quiet person. Going abroad would mean I would have to leave my gf (whom I have not know for very long, but currently I feel as she is the best person I have ever met), who is visiting South America the moment I write this. Or take her with me...

What would you do? Any idea of how to raise funds?

Latest posts

Back