Shyness harder for girls or guys

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is often said that women find confidence a very attractive quality when it comes to men.

Shyness is a lack of confidence and can also be perceived as a weakness.

While everyone is different, I definitely think that shyness carries a bigger stigma when you are male.

Tiina63 said:
Hello Nightwing, I was interested and also reassured to read that you have had the same thing happen on dates as I have had.
Maybe, as you say, the people we met were even shyer than we are, or maybe they were still single because of their poor social skills. I mean, I have aspergers and yet my not so brilliant social skills are better than those of some of the people I have gone on dates with.

I'm glad to reassure you. I went on a date last night with a girl who had some pretty severe shyness issues. Talked so quietly that I couldn't really hear her over the table. She also used her phone far too much (like, to the point of rudeness. I like to think I'm a tolerant guy... but when your date is getting their phone out for the 20-something time to reply to a text message and ignore you... it classifies as plain rude.)

Luckily, when I explained to her that she needed to stop being so rude, she seemed to understand and apologised. (Honesty. It's always the best policy.) After a little while, she opened up a bit and we had a very enjoyable conversation. I suppose what I'm saying here is that patience is needed in abundance by us. But I'm slowly learning to be assertive when it's appropriate. The balance is difficult. I'm pretty sure I've screwed up that balance at one point or another. But anyhoo - you live and learn. Keep persisting with those dates and prepare yourself to be patient. Good things may come of it :)

As stated already, I'd say Men. Whilst Women have changed over time, from my exp, it's still the guy who should make the effort in the eyes of girls I know. It's ironic because plenty of women have a problem with guys when they sit down and play PS3 or XBox. But plenty of Women enjoy playing games. Mind games x)

Oh no...you just didn't...*slowly backs out of thread...quickly leaves thread...runs like hell*

As stated already, I'd say Men. Whilst Women have changed over time, from my exp, it's still the guy who should make the effort in the eyes of girls I know. It's ironic because plenty of women have a problem with guys when they sit down and play PS3 or XBox. But plenty of Women enjoy playing games. Mind games x)

Really?? I mean, really? I could tell you about this chap I once knew..

oh fresia, my knee hurts like hell, my finger-ends are splitting open because I have burned them putting logs on the stove, its Valentines, and I just can't be arsed today. . . .

(Thinks -- Sheesh, and these guys wonder why they can't find a girl...):D

jaguarundi said:

Really?? I mean, really? I could tall you about this chap I once knew..

oh fresia, my knee hurts like hell, my finger-ends are splitting open because I have burned them putting logs on the stove, its Valentines, and I just can't be arsed today. . . .

^^ Yup.

EveWasFramed said:
jaguarundi said:

^^ Yup.

You people confuse me :S

Nightwing said:
EveWasFramed said:
jaguarundi said:

^^ Yup.

Sorry, dear. That was a tongue in cheek reply to someone's misogynistic remark about women "playing mind games."

EveWasFramed said:
Nightwing said:
EveWasFramed said:
jaguarundi said:

^^ Yup.

Sorry, dear. That was a tongue in cheek reply to someone's misogynistic remark about women "playing mind games."

Fair enough... but I think the remark (though perhaps badly phrased) adds something to the discussion which could have been explored.

If we take a step back for a moment, we know both sexes play mind games. From personal experience I can certainly tell you I've met women who play mind games and use their sexuality to manipulate men. (I actively hate these women. Does this make me a misogynist? I'm not sure...)

In the same vein... there are men who seem to delight in screwing with the heads of women just to prove how sexually attractive they are. (I'd tentatively add that these ladies are possibly not helping the equality cause by tolerating these men to such a degree. How can I respect someone who complains about being so mistreated and when asked to explain why they tolerated them for so long... the answer is his dreamy eyes and other equally shallow comments.)

The overall point to discuss would be: how does the whole mind games/social courting games impact upon our shyness issues? I'd certainly say the way many women seem to be unable to state their intentions clearly has definitely made me more shy. (Possibly because, being straightforward doesn't always seem to work for whatever dumb reason.)

And I will use my comment here to point out one little thing which probably should have been factored into the original remarks. Since I've only ever asked women out... I don't know what it's like on the opposite side of the table. I'd like to know if anyone would like to share? (Am I a misogynist for my statement in the paragraph before this one? It's got the same problem as the post which seemed to cause issues... it's only from the male perspective. Though, personally I wouldn't leap to the idea that only addressing one perspective is misogynistic [i.e. active hatred] but I'd say it's possibly more... misguided, tactless or undiplomatic to skip out the point of view from the other side.)

If you've got this far... and you care why I happen to care so much about this. It's because it has become very politically correct to leap upon silly little things and then describe them with terms which should be reserved for extremes. Fantastic examples being describing a black man as "black". outrageous eh? Ban me for racism immediately! lol.

This misuse of language and lack of tolerance towards those of us who are less capable of being diplomatic, for whatever reason, is causing a rise in the amount of hatred in the world. (I would guess there is probably a greater proportion of people who have trouble being diplomatic amongst our lonely brethren. At one point in my life, I was accused of being unable to be diplomatic at all and stated everything in a simple fashion. So I can certainly relate. It took me a lot of hard work to reach the place I am today.) Perhaps an alternative approach to snarky responses would be to address that original statement by saying "it's a fair point. Though let's not forget the men who do the same. Aren't they playing enough games on their xbox already? ;)"

We should support each other. Tolerate our problems and help each other. Not snark at those who are upset or having trouble expressing themselves in an acceptable manner.

Since you're new, I'll explain:
Misogyny often runs rampant here. We try to keep it in check.
As for your own post, you acknowledge that BOTH sexes exhibit the same kinds of behaviors.
It's not a matter of intolerance - it's a matter of respecting others. :)

EveWasFramed said:
As for your own post, you acknowledge that BOTH sexes exhibit the same kinds of behaviors.

You've completely missed my point.

Nightwing said:
EveWasFramed said:

You've completely missed my point.

Did I? Can you be more specific? There seems to be more than one point to your post, but I wasn't responding to the entire post. (hmm)

Of course it's more of an issue for men because men are still expected to take the initiative and do the asking. And women generally find confidence in men attractive and the opposite less attractive, while men are less concerned with those particular personality traits in women (again, generally). Nothing hateful there.

Women have to deal with the fear of unwanted attention, stalking and assault, while men are expected to front up and risk rejection, and while they aren't equivalent (I'd take fear of rejection over fear of sexual assault any day), men have it "worse" in some areas.

Latest posts

Back