Social anxiaty disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stagnant said:
what medications help with S.A.D.

I'm on 'Citalopram' and I think it may have taken the edge off my S.A. , but it is by no means a cure. It has barely scratched the surface of my 'issues'.

In the past I took 'Prozac' and it completely screwed me up. I wouldn't reccomment it.

Paxil, Effexor, and Zoloft are the most common antidepressants used. Beta blockers are pretty common too--I think they treat the symptoms that come with anxiety (racing heart, sweating, etc), but not really the anxiety itself.

Incidentally I take a beta blocker and zoloft for an unrelated condition. I have a lot of anxiety since I'm going through a pretty tough patch right now and I can't say that either are doing jack for the anxiety. **shrug**

Lots and lots of booze.

Just kidding...but seriously, instead of getting advice online, shouldn't you see a doc about it? Asking for info online is fine to get a base of general knowledge, but if you really feel that you have SAD you should probably go see a professional about it and they will be able to pinpoint which med could help you.

----Steve

I have social anxiety too and I was on sertraline for about 6 month. It reduced my depression but had little effect on social anxiety. Before that I was taking amitryptiline but I was too sleepy on it, so I had to discontinue. Now I take alprazolam just before any stress-causing event. Of course it all was prescribed by doctor.

Hi-
Trying getting more sun. I had to start taking an anti-depressant for post partum depression but even during the winter, I'm still a little down. I always feel happier and more energetic in the summer and I know it's because of the sun.

Teresa

There's no real medication for social anxiety or social phobias. Your best bet is to find a good therapist who can help you get to the root of why you're so anxious and afraid, then help you to eliminate those fears. Medication can help a little, but it won't stop things like panic attacks from happening.

Badjedidude said:
Lots and lots of booze.

Just kidding...but seriously, instead of getting advice online, shouldn't you see a doc about it? Asking for info online is fine to get a base of general knowledge, but if you really feel that you have SAD you should probably go see a professional about it and they will be able to pinpoint which med could help you.

----Steve

i've had alot of problems having to do with this in my life, with severe severe panic attacks.

the doctors didn't help. they made it worse.

i found my own way, and made myself better, and a major part of it was talking to people online with similar experiences. it took years, but it happened. (again with alot of help from people online who aren't professionals).:D

(am not recommending this to anyone tho, that's just my own experience:)

Social anxiety disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people fear social situations where they might be embarrassed or judged. When put in a social situation where they might become anxious sufferers have symptoms such as a racing heart, trembling, blushing or even sweating. This anxiety disorder is not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination — some sources say it affects more than five million Americans any given year.

A diagnosis of Social Anxiety Disorder can indicate either a “specific disorder” or a “general disorder”. A specific disorder is when only some particular situations cause social anxiety. A generalized social anxiety disorder typically involves a persistent, intense, and chronic fear of being judged by others and of potentially being embarrassed or humiliated by their own actions. These fears can be triggered by perceived or actual scrutiny by others. While the fear of social interaction may be recognized by the person as excessive or unreasonable, considerable difficulty can be encountered overcoming it. Approximately 13.3 percent of the general population may meet criteria for social anxiety disorder at some point in their lifetime, according to some estimates. In general, males are slightly more disposed to suffer from social anxiety disorder than females.

CAS said:
Stagnant said:
what medications help with S.A.D.

I'm on 'Citalopram' and I think it may have taken the edge off my S.A. , but it is by no means a cure. It has barely scratched the surface of my 'issues'.

In the past I took 'Prozac' and it completely screwed me up. I wouldn't reccomment it.

That's what I'm on right now. Citalopram... It's the generic for Celexa, right?

I also have a problem of social anxiety, and I was on sertraline for 6 months. Reduced my depression, but has little effect on social anxiety. Before taking amitriptyline, but I was too tired of it, so I had to leave. Now I just take alprazolam before any stressful situation. Of course, all that has been prescribed by a physician.

Mr international salesman, is Halloween celebrated in December in France, or are you a little late selling your halloween costumes?

For you are not pathetic. You just need a few things to work. Yes, it is possible to have many ills. I suggest you go see a therapist and get it solved. I know how it feels to be afraid of them, I'm the same way. I have panic attacks every time I go to the doctor and freak. Just know that the more you do it quietly, you'll be in this situation.

Latest posts

Back