The 'minimal contact with people' type of job....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundasapenguin

Reaction score
I am Malaysian. And **** proud of it *hic*
I need to change my job. I need to get a job that has as little contact with people as possible coz I think I'm so not a people person, let alone have a job that would require me to work with people.

I guess I'd just like to find out from you folks out there - what sort of job requires really minimal contact with people?

I considered being a programmer but dammit, I'm not smart enough to write codes :(

i throw newspapers in the wee hours. no customers. small band of nutters. sleep during the day so i rarely mingle with the masses :)

though, there are no girls where i work.. weird..

Ever consider massage? I mean, sure. I have to be around some people every day. However, it's just one person at a time, and the person usually isn't talking.

nerdygirl said:
Ever consider massage? I mean, sure. I have to be around some people every day. However, it's just one person at a time, and the person usually isn't talking.

No he's just waiting for you to leave so he can have fun with himself

@roundasapenguin: freelancing in web dev/design. If you're considering programming but think you're not smart enough go for XHTML, its too simple not to grasp.

Face to face contact, or over the phone or internet as well?

You'll still have people contact from time to time but's minimal.

Plenty of employment that require minimal people contact but you'll still be out in the open

Lab technician, such as medical, ag,, indutrial, electronics...etc
Run test sample all day long or go out in the fields to collect samples.

or maybe a long haul truck driver...you'll spend most of your time on the road.
I drove a semi truck for local stuff for 6 months...I might have to check in at the dock 5-10 mins. 4-5 times p/day
The rest of the time I'm on the road or just chilling out or in the cab while the truck gets loaded or un loaded.

Or anytype of heavy machinery operator...you'll be operating the machine most of the time.
Kind of like a locomotive engineer.

Or a control room operator at a power plant...they make good money.

You can even grade or level fields for farmer...there's plenty of money to be made.
Bascailly drive cattapillars all day..It's all high tech now..So it's even easier.

Zooligist or marine ...you're spend most of your time on in nature or in the fields.

Or even a mecahinic..anytype of welding, painting, equipment repair...you'll spend most of your time
working on contraptions.

Or even a mail man..some mail man just drive around all day and deliver mails. They don't really have a lot of contact with people.

Where I work at moment. Sometimes, I just get on one of the machines and tune people out.
It's not rocket science to operate machineries. It just takes practice. It's repectitive and borning at times..but that's what my MP3
is for..I just rock out all day :p
I don't mind the work or hard work...I don't like dramma. I bascailly stay out of the office.

I used to be a manager.I had plenty of people working for me. Sitting in the office all day.
Dealing with subornates, clients, sales people, production managers...it was very stressful at times.
All kinds of dramma sometimes...
I used to lock my office from time to time...don't take any calls ,so I can chill the fresia out.

@roundasapenguin: I don't think that avoiding ppl will make you feel any better. You should probably stay where you are and work at building up your social skills rather than running from social interaction because you fear being awkward. Everyone is awkward in social situations at some point...and it's how we react to that awkwardness that makes us good at social interaction or not. You can freak out and let it discourage you, or you can let the awkwardness/nervousness slide off your shoulders like water, understanding that it happens to everyone....so really it's not a big deal.

I think you should stick with it. Don't hide from people! :D

----Steve

there is nothing inherently wrong with running from people.. if that's what you feel you want to do, as a taste of a different kind of job or just for a break.. i don't think its always a negative thing..

the choice is yours..

good luck

The reason I say that roundas shouldn't run is because running from our problems never solves them. It might delay them for a bit, but they're always there, in the darkness somewhere behind us, hunting us.

I think roundasapenguin should face her fears and problems, and tackle them by pushing into the fray and working to BECOME a social person, rather than becoming an isolated anti-social person. *shrug* I just think that this sort of approach would suit her better in the long run.

----Steve

oarivan said:
nerdygirl said:
No he's just waiting for you to leave so he can have fun with himself

Hey, now... not everybody is as nuts as some of my clients!

@BJD

fair enough, maybe you know her better than me.. i just wanted to say that becoming a 'people person' is not the only valid choice.. and it doesn't mean that you 'have failed' if you decide that maybe a less people orientated job is the one for you..

i understand what you're saying about 'facing problems head on'.. Salvador Dali was known for running from uncomfortable and anxiety raising situations and he certainly wasn't a failure.. i worked a little in the hospitality industry and met people that just knew they werent people orientated and it wasn't for a LACK of something (like social skills).. they just didn't wanna..

no one way is better than another.. tis cool to try 'away from people' work if you wanna..

is all :)

p2p said:
no one way is better than another.. tis cool to try 'away from people' work if you wanna..

*shrug* To each their own, I guess. :) If that's what roundasapenguin really wants, then hell yeah, she should go for it.

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
p2p said:

*shrug* To each their own, I guess. :) If that's what roundasapenguin really wants, then hell yeah, she should go for it.

----Steve

what? how dare you take it so calmly! where's my argument!? lol...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I considered sticking it out at the current job (i'm a business analyst at the moment) but my job is so heavily reliant on dealing with people from all over the place that its driving me nuts :( I hadn't thought I'd be THIS bad at my people skills until I came on board this job and now, every waking hour of the day, I wonder if I could get myself out and do something else that doesn't require me to be in contact with so many people.

Doesn't help that the people I contact are sometimes a real pain in the *toot*. Makes me just wanna go dig a hole and hide.

Ah well. Thanks again for the feedback, I shall take all that into consideration! :) Cheers, folks!

I actually started working one of these sorts of jobs part time and I don't mind it at all. I work as a night-shift custodian for the local school district whenever one of their full time people has to take time off.

After the school clears out you're more or less alone. There's one other janitor but they work a different side of the shool. The work day goes fairly fast, too, since you get to move around. If you wanted to you could jam out to music all night with an mp3 player and it'd go even faster.

Doing it full time isn't a bad deal, either. The wage isn't phenomenal, but you get benefits including insurance and paid time off, and most importantly you get a real, actual pension after 30 years. It also bears mentioning that you move around a fair bit, so it could be a way to help stay in shape ;)

It's probably similar in other school districts or public sector custodial jobs. You might look for one somewhere.

roundasapenguin said:
Thanks guys for the feedback. I considered sticking it out at the current job (i'm a business analyst at the moment) but my job is so heavily reliant on dealing with people from all over the place that its driving me nuts :( I hadn't thought I'd be THIS bad at my people skills until I came on board this job and now, every waking hour of the day, I wonder if I could get myself out and do something else that doesn't require me to be in contact with so many people.

Doesn't help that the people I contact are sometimes a real pain in the *toot*. Makes me just wanna go dig a hole and hide.

Ah well. Thanks again for the feedback, I shall take all that into consideration! :) Cheers, folks!

Sounds like you are not enjoying with your current job...well thats really sucks...

Anyways you cant runaway from ppl...well jobs requirs you to meet client or customers everyday...and I knw how that may

Latest posts

Back