Those in Love with Control

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny

Reaction score
This is an open letter to all of those out there who feel lonely, have suffered failed relationships and are hurt and confused by their lack of companionship in life.

Are you in love with control?

Have you ever met a person whom you were magnetically attracted to? From that very first encounter it was like a spark of magic was in the air. You trade email addresses, maybe even phone numbers, and you spend hours each night talking on the phone. Your conversations become remarkably deep. Time is spent together on the weekends or on dates and romance is in the air. Honesty abounds! You tell each other everything and feel as though you are completely known by the other to the core, and embraced ever tighter because of it! You are completely in sync, who knew it was even possible? Ahh, to be in love.

Then, something shifts. It's slow, yet insidious.

At first a subtle shift in the air pressure in the room when you two are together or an unfamiliar vibration to the silence when you speak on the phone. Microscopic cues to our senses that something is amiss. Before you know it words start to sound subtly forced and gestures seem conspicuously poorly timed and awkward for no apparent reason. Things continue, but you take note of these small ... differences. Next comes minor displays of displeasure with your core characteristics, your tone of voice, your timing, your sayings, opinions or beliefs. Nothing to severe, just things like awkward silences where one would expect a laugh, a lack of enthusiasm for your hobbies or recreation, maybe even less than stellar attempts at understanding for those things that make you who you are, etc.

All of this is done via meta message. A meta message for those who aren't familiar is a message conveyed not by what is said or done, but by what isn't said or done. These meta messages are almost silent cues to our subconscious that another person is in a state of displeasure with something about us. They can be sent just as subconsciously as they are received. The inclination of the meta message receiver is to change. If he or she changes something, the right thing perhaps, the phase shift that occurred will correct itself and once again the air pressure in the room will stabilize, the silence between words will lose its menacing tone, and that "sync" that we had achieved, yet seemingly have lost, will return.

This is a system of rewards and punishment. It's like the Pavlovian Dog Experiment. It is subliminal conditioning. If you submit to these cues, you are under "control" and will therefore be rewarded with a state of normalcy, a feeling of being in sync, and a sense of love or even bliss. However, if you do not submit to these cues, you will be punished under the same system. You will be made to feel awkward, or uncomfortable, or even unloved and unwanted.

Ring a bell? (pun intended)

Be careful if you encounter this, because if you have, you are in love with a person who is not in love with you, but in fact, is actually in love with "control".

We are all in love with control. Control makes us feel safe. If we feel that we can control our surrounding we do not feel as though we are in danger. It is part of why we try to understand our surroundings.

Some of the things mentioned above, I do to my partner but it is not me trying to control him, it is me giving a genuine (but thoughtless) reaction to something he may have done that annoyed me.

jales said:
We are all in love with control. Control makes us feel safe. If we feel that we can control our surrounding we do not feel as though we are in danger. It is part of why we try to understand our surroundings.

Some of the things mentioned above, I do to my partner but it is not me trying to control him, it is me giving a genuine (but thoughtless) reaction to something he may have done that annoyed me.

You are right, Jales. To an extent, we all want and desire control in our lives, like you said, for safety and comfort. I also agree that we give conscious and subconscious cues to the people around us of our feelings, it's called body language, and it accounts for some 93% of our total communication.

However I am not talking about normal human interaction which is what you have described.

I am referring to people who intentionally and maliciously control everything about their significant other through these tactics "consciously" as part of a larger plan. True manipulators because they love "control" MORE than they love their partner or even themselves.

Does THAT describe you?

no i'm not that bad. and i would hate to control my husband.. im glad that he is really stubborn and he wouldnt let any one control him.

jales said:
no i'm not that bad. and i would hate to control my husband.. im glad that he is really stubborn and he wouldnt let any one control him.

You made a really good point though with your initial post.

I guess the difference is there are those out there (I know this to be true from personal experiences) who actually love CONTROL more than the PEOPLE in their lives. That's when it gets bad.

I've become irritated with a boyfriend's qualities before. Maybe it was just because I didn't like him as a person. Not sure. The original post is certainly something to keep in mind though.

I think it would freak me out if I met anyone and felt magnetically connected to them! I guess it's great for the people it happens too but I like slow and steady and keep an eye out for weirdness or psycho stuff in the beginning. I like to control MY life. I am the ONLY one who controls it too, but I would be bored stiff with anybody who wanted me to control theirs. I don't want kids, the little kind or the bigger ones. Good post Kenny, I know other people who have gone through this, I never thought about it this way.

I ve been in toxic relationships. My ExWF was/is a major control freak.
But WTF would I know about LETTING GO, Surrendering, Lowering my expectations????

I aint white as fucken snow either. I lived with an active alcoholic for 7 years.
Obviously I felt my life N our relationship was going down hill N out of control.
Somewhere along the line I fear for the wrost N insecure.
Talk about a major train wreck. The manipulations, head games, blameshifting, emotional emmeshing.
I had major mental and emotional bagages from that fuckin train ride. Ive been conditioned wheather
I agree with it or not. It is what it is...ACCEPTENCE of that would be a turning piont.

yeah..yeah happiness is an inside job. Im responsible for my own happiness.

So...I especifically seeked out centerain type of women consiously within the past year
Women that made my exgf or exwf looks like fucken angels.
Young hawt wild N craZY women half the age of all my Exs :p
Tracy, Leeanna, N Cyndy are all free spirit N cant be control N will not be control by no man, yet I had threesomes with them.lol
Being with these women allowed me to pracxtice letting go. it wasnt a magic fucken cure but I got well or
practice altering my behavior patterns and not fucken REACT. It was very theraputic for me.
The irony is..all these women are attracted to me cuz i dont fucken control them or take honeysuckle out on them
cuz I dont or cant control them. They paved the way for me....EXPERINCE.
Whatever baggages I had..I had to let go.
Btw..all of these women bought me dinner n did alot of nice things for me. hahahahaa
Making CHOICES n TAKING ACTIONS.
Obviously plenty of people will think Im fucken weird or a bad..bad man.lmao

WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT KILL YOU...WHAT WORKS FOR YOU MIGHT KILL ME.

Im with Renae, now.Shes the love of my life. Shes very free spirit.
Its what comes with the territory of loving a hawt beautiful woman.
Shes not perfect..she feels N still want to control our lives in many ways.
I aint going into details about our sex lives. All i can say is she fullfils all my fantacy.
Shes totally out of control in bed :)

Interesting, in every relationship this probably happens to a degree. The dominant mate's dominance slowly grows. However, it is subtle and hard to notice. Why spend time thinking about this kind of stuff? Enjoy the moment, feel the bliss and go with it. Just do not become dependent on it.

Latest posts

Back