to do or not to do?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miasaokim

Reaction score
This is not really a problem or something bad, just a thing I've been thinking recently and need to let it out.

I studied graphic design, but after jumping from job to job now I currently a manga editor. I can't say this is my dream job, but I do love it. The only concern is the lack of opportunity to make it to the next level because...there's no higher level. Unless I become the director/manager or at least someone close to him, but it would likely not happen and not what I want. And the salary is acceptable, but not very high. Again, I must say it's enough for now since I'm still single and enjoying doing my job.

So, I was considering having a second job, to make sure about my financial state; maybe open a small shop at my home, but I haven't had a plan and am not sure what I want to do. I love drawing and I'm already doing it.

Another thing I think I should add that, despite how much I love drawing, I'm not good at it. Not really bad, but not good enough in my opinion. I did think about practicing or taking another drawing class but It's not necessary and ...well...I'm lazy.

Couple days ago, an old friend of mine contacted me. We had been best friends, but it was 12 years ago. I met her again last year, exhanged phone numbers... but we haven't really have relationship.Lunar new year celebration had just come in my country so I thought she just wanted to meet an old friend.

We talked about many things, then it lead to that she wants to make a manga/comic with me. We will come up with a story and I'll draw, the drawings would be simple, more like illustrator. The content we have put up so far really isn't my cup of tea, but not like it's out of my comfort zone, I can still draw it. And I always want to make a manga myself, but like I said my drawing skill is not good enough, and it's too much to work alone. If I do this, I could practice drawing, and if we success, I'll have my change to make my own manga.

I see it as a chance, just try it and see how things turn out. Maybe we'll fail, but that's not a big deal for me. I also have free time in the evening. I do want to try it, like a small step before I draw the mange I like.

Yet, I'm still thinking, since I do not really like the story and maybe not be serious enough. I may feel bored and tired after a couple picture. If it's something I desire, I'll be able to put all my mind and heart into it, but it's not. And I work whole day long, I have free time in the evening, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough energy left for this project. Sometimes I draw when I'm home, but it's what I want and like. This is exactly what I call working: doing something I don't hate but not not interested, to earn money.

Another thing is that why she suddenly contacted and offered me this? I know her in the past but I don't know her now. People change over time, I've changed too. Maybe she's using me, but think again I'm also using her. She seems to be serious in this and I'm not. I don't want to start something that I'm not going to finish. If I start this and then get bored, the result wouldn't be good doesn't matter how much I try. Only if it's a plot I like, it would be another story. But changing the plot now isn't possible. Not just we don't share the same interests but what I want to do: something about medieval, Victoria era...those with Prince, princess and stuffs, I do not have the ability to do it now.

Maybe I should just tell her this and let she decide.

I think you should sit down with her and be honest, but not in a brutal way. Just tell her that you'd love to make a manga, but that you come home tired and you haven't felt so inspired by the theme, that you don't think it's a project that you'll have enough energy and inspiration to finish. She'll understand, we all know how it's a pain to do something you're not so excited about.
Who knows, maybe she'll even give in and change the theme into something you both love :)
But anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do! :D

Latest posts

Back