too old

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cumulus.james said:
Lonely in BC said:
oopsiedoop said:
Yeah as far as I know, the generation after me tried to stay, not young, which is good, but immature, forever. Maybe that's what you're saying about it. If there's something new in the new one where you grow up fast again, like in my time, I don't know about it.
It can be a bit sad getting old when you see young people so full of hope, but a life unlived is the real sadness..in fact, tragic.

This is one of my pet peeves "....a life unlived....", it kills me to see people wasting their life on nothing of substance. I may be lonely but I'm always creative. So many people in the small community I live in just don't want to do anything. A young lad of 14 recently informed me that he was going to be a deadbeat just like his dad- these were HIS words.

Unfortunately we need deadbeats. There are not enough opportunities to resources in the world for everyone to lead a successful productive life.
There is that to consider

cumulus.james said:
I dont think teenage boys plan a life on welfare but the fact is we now live in such a commercial world run by marketing men, I would guess most the time teenage boys who go on welfare do so because they see no way to get the big house, the walking wardrobe full of custom Nike shoes and all of that stuff.

Certainly in the UK the choice for a lot of young people is work long hours in a mind numbingly dull job for next to nothing or go on welfare.

This is partly because their parents and the education system failed them. But it is mostly to do with the fact there is not enough money to go round because THE BANKERS AND RICH ARE HORDING IT ALL.

I don’t know my friend, it just sounds like more excuses. While I agree that the bankers and the government hold some blame for the high taxes and decline of wealth I’d suggest the people dreaming of the big house and walk-in wardrobe need to swallow a large dose of reality. Especially those who deem their life over for not having such possessions.

Marketing men can only take so much of the blame when it’s the people themselves who are gullible to swallow their bait. Heck if people stopped chasing these dangling carrots the marketing men would be out of a job themselves likewise all these dumb ‘celebrities’ who hold less talent than a dead squirrel. It just feels like an overweight person blaming Burger King for making food that tastes too good.

The saddest thing is people could have that house and wardrobe if they put in some hard work, sure there will always be a class system here in the UK which is close to impossible to defeat but if the dream sold to us by the marketing men isn’t working out then perhaps we need to re-imagine another, more realistic dream instead of just giving up because the first one never materialised.

Ive been kind of amused at how many of the people who strive for the big house and huge wardrobe still don't seem to find satisfaction- many of them seem to get even more uptight.

Much of my career has involved building "custom" (my translation means large, ugly homes lacking interesting detail) homes here in Canada- primarily in Calgary, AB. Lots of the homeowners didn't seem to happy, always wanting something bigger and flashier- so many times I heard things along the lines of "this will do- for now". I built one of these types of homes for myself (it did have a bit of style, a heavy Victorian influence) thinking it was what I wanted. I quickly realized it was too big for me (several empty rooms), sold it, and currently building a house that is about half the size but oozing of detail. I've found satisfaction building this one.

It's been hard work and sacrifice to get here (no inheritance, no hand outs, etc.). It's been a busy climb and I'm starting to realize its been a lonely one as well. Hence my joining this site.

Lonely in BC said:
Ive been kind of amused at how many of the people who strive for the big house and huge wardrobe still don't seem to find satisfaction- many of them seem to get even more uptight.

Much of my career has involved building "custom" (my translation means large, ugly homes lacking interesting detail) homes here in Canada- primarily in Calgary, AB. Lots of the homeowners didn't seem to happy, always wanting something bigger and flashier- so many times I heard things along the lines of "this will do- for now". I built one of these types of homes for myself (it did have a bit of style, a heavy Victorian influence) thinking it was what I wanted. I quickly realized it was too big for me (several empty rooms), sold it, and currently building a house that is about half the size but oozing of detail. I've found satisfaction building this one.

It's been hard work and sacrifice to get here (no inheritance, no hand outs, etc.). It's been a busy climb and I'm starting to realize its been a lonely one as well. Hence my joining this site.

This is the other side of the argument, careers can be as bad for your well-being as being a bum. I saw one of my local doctors from afar in a supermarket, he puts the huors in his surgery, took him years of work to get his position, he is now very well paid and incredibly good at his job but....

....I never saw a human being look so miserable and empty as I saw on his face that night. It haunted me a bit. I imagine him going to work as a doctor for 12 hrs a day, being brilliant at his job, helping hundreds of people then going home alone to a microwave meal.

I have been in both situations, worked my ass off 12 hrs a day and been a bum in the gutter. The outcome of both was the same. Alone.

Latest posts

Back