Travelling in Europe

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamc88

Reaction score
I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to just forget about all the rubbish of trying to establish myself in any sort of career in England and just go travelling in northern Europe for a while. My job is quite hard, I'm sick of manual work, I don't have the qualifications other people in their mid-twenties seem to possess, sick of staring into job websites struggling to find anything that I'd want to do let alone anything that I could actually get.
I've saved up a bit of money. Has anyone done this for a few months? I'm thinking maybe get a ferry to Holland or Belgium and make my way north to Denmark and Sweden. Then get a ferry back from Norway possibly. Wishful thinking probably but will go to at least one of those countries. I've developed a bit of a fear of flying so couldn't see myself getting a plane. Thats also why I'm not thinking of going outside Europe.
I don't know whether to go for a short time or try and find work. Its probably about as hard to find a job elsewhere as it is here, I don't know why I assume it would be any different. This year has been really dull and I just want to get interested in life again instead of only working and being hunched over my laptop in my spare time. I feel invisible here when I go out. If my life is so lonely and monotonous I may as well go travelling then at least I would have some new stuff to occupy my mind. Does anyone know any good places to go? Any innovative ways to get around?

I say go for it. Think of our 80th birthday and you look back on what you have done. Wouldn't it be great to look back at some adventures? Is it possible to take a leave of absence from your current job so you have a fallback if you don't like it or run out of money? Go to the library and read about the places you fancy, maybe there is a way to set up some work before you go like a chalet helper in ski resort(random idea) Good luck let us kow what you go for and maybe a few pics.

Seems like you feel that this journey will help your mental state, so I say go for it!

In your shoes, I would go for several months rather than a short time. This chance may not come again so grab it with both hands. Maybe you could apply for jobs online before going?

Its obvious but youth hostels. You may also here of work through there, and also might make useful aquaintances or even friends. They may also have worked and be moving on leaving positions open.

Thanks for getting back to me, everyone. Yeah, I had heard Scandinavia was very expensive. I just thought it might be easier to stick to northern Europe because I know a bit of German and their English is good. I am not too worried about my job. Its not the most formal position and its not something I want to be doing in the future. I have an idea of a business and a way to be freelance doing something else but I want to get the year off to a good start instead of trying to establish myself. I feel like my youth has passed me by in these last few years without me even realizing it. It seems like very recently that I was 19 or 20 when I was relieved to have left school for a while and be away from the social hierarchy that I perceived even though it really didn't exist. Somehow I've managed to distract myself from things that I'm naturally good at by jumping through hoops that you led to believe you are required to do.
Post recession, the world has become a strange place. There is no point in doing anything anymore, so in a way you should just do whatever you want as long as you keep your head above water. I'm still young but at my age now I can see that things are finite. I should try to live my life on my own terms a bit. I think traveling appeals to me again because your mindset changes and there are external things to occupy the brain. People are more receptive to you. If, by some miracle, you haven't made a lot of friends with other people at home, you can't just go to a local pub or club or whatever and do the things that well-adjusted do anyway, because society is becoming a little unfriendly to people who maybe haven't found others to do things with.... But if you're somewhere new, there is plenty of people to meet in equal situations and there are external things to talk about. Everyone needs new stuff to think about to keep from stagnating. I don't mind getting older, I just want some kind of movement in circumstance

Latest posts

Back