Urban Decay/Ruins

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefox

Reaction score
This may seem kind of strange but does anyone else find this interesting? I was actually looking for a different picture for another thread when I came across these but I've always found it to be fascinating. It makes you wonder about how these structures came to be like this, what would cause them to be abandoned and I like to see how quickly nature takes it back over.

Wallcoo_com_Urban_Ruins_and_Abandoned_buildings_65500db28.jpg

abandoned-ufo-house-homestead-florida.jpg

Wallcoo_com_Urban_Ruins_and_Abandoned_buildings_a3c35720d.jpg

They come to be that way by being abandoned. Either nobody moves in, or whoever moves in doesn't do property upkeep. As a guy once put it, "things happen to an empty house."

You can probably find lots of similar examples in bad neighborhoods all over the United States, but going into those neighborhoods can be dangerous.

I personally love Ghost Towns/Deserted places and intend to visit many of them during my lifetime.

Oh this isn't about makeup:p

I'm a big fan of how efficiently nature takes back what belongs to it, there are many such places I should like to visit & take photos...I have a particular fondness for abandoned theme parks.

I've not as yet managed to visit any myself but have enjoyed the wonderful photos available on tinterwebs.

The reconquest of humanity's traces through nature is a sight to behold. Abandoned places of all sorts fascinate me as well. No matter whether they were deserted by choice or by force.

...makes me wonder if I'll live long enough to witness the grand re-opening of Pripyat. At least I can enjoy strolling through their virtual depictions till that day comes.

mickey said:
They come to be that way by being abandoned. Either nobody moves in, or whoever moves in doesn't do property upkeep. As a guy once put it, "things happen to an empty house."

You can probably find lots of similar examples in bad neighborhoods all over the United States, but going into those neighborhoods can be dangerous.

I think it's the reason they become abandoned that's kind of interesting and I sort of like the atmosphere. Kind of like if you've ever played or heard of Dark Souls. You're exploring these old ruins and have very little to go on initially as to why they ended up that way. (I tend to stay out of bad neighborhoods if i can but good point, you do see alot of abandoned homes in them)

Rodent said:
The reconquest of humanity's traces through nature is a sight to behold. Abandoned places of all sorts fascinate me as well. No matter whether they were deserted by choice or by force.

...makes me wonder if I'll live long enough to witness the grand re-opening of Pripyat. At least I can enjoy strolling through their virtual depictions till that day comes.

They recently had a couple that lived there go back in to visit their home (only for a short while due to the radiation). It's safe enough for a short jaunt through but that's about it. I'm not sure how long that would take for it to be settled again. Do you think that could happen in a few decades?

Rosebolt said:
Rodent said:
At least I can enjoy strolling through their virtual depictions till that day comes.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R? :p

That's a cool game although I'm not very good at it. I made it as far as a junkyard somewhere.

Alma lost her spoon said:
Oh this isn't about makeup:p

I'm a big fan of how efficiently nature takes back what belongs to it, there are many such places I should like to visit & take photos...I have a particular fondness for abandoned theme parks.

I've not as yet managed to visit any myself but have enjoyed the wonderful photos available on tinterwebs.

The theme parks I agree on. There's a picture of one in japan and it's so bizarre to see this place.

Sci-Fi said:
Oh yeah I like checking out that stuff sometimes, there was a recent article I read on Yahoo about the ghost island in Japan, cool stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island

btw that link isn't for the article, that might not work for everyone.

I've heard of that place. It's strange to see it empty now. I just saw on wiki that reopened travel to the island only a few years ago. That would be fun to see :)

^ love them - can't say more - just love them
shadows of memories fleeting in the corners of the soul, raising dust

I always find the slow process of nature reclaiming man's works to be fascinating and beautiful.

Rosebolt said:
Rodent said:
At least I can enjoy strolling through their virtual depictions till that day comes.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R? :p

Precisely. :cool:

bluefox said:
Rodent said:

They recently had a couple that lived there go back in to visit their home (only for a short while due to the radiation). It's safe enough for a short jaunt through but that's about it. I'm not sure how long that would take for it to be settled again. Do you think that could happen in a few decades?

Hmm, almost 30 years have passed since the catastrophe so I'd say we wait at least another 40-50 years. Optimistically speaking, we might even discover new methods of containment and decontamination to this point. I haven't read up on much on it lately, but right now the 30 kilometer area around the reactor is still considered dangerous...

A Frank Lloyd Wright house, one of the many abandoned buildings in Gary, Indiana

ejbyxg.jpg

Minus said:
A Frank Lloyd Wright house, one of the many abandoned buildings in Gary, Indiana

ejbyxg.jpg

Huh, I've heard of Gary, Indiana before although I'm surprised to see an abandoned Frank Wright house

Latest posts

Back