Virtual shyness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frizzler

Reaction score
So guys today am i discussing about virtual shyness.
The reason why is because i find it easier to make new friends in person than in the internet. Usually when i enter in such a community people are already familliar with each other and i always feel left aside because i can't really fit in the conversation so it's really hard to make friends online.

Having friends in person is good i know but i'm not with them everyday even tough i speak with them everyday on facebook but i feel like i can't really be myself with them because i'll feel judged all the time. That is something i don't really feel while chatting with someone online (dunno why).

Do you guys have this problem?
Any tips or help about this what do you think?

I have the opposite experience, it's a lot easier for me to make friends online. It's a lot easier for me to be myself and I don't have to deal with the anxiety or awkwardness of real life.

Although some communities seem like everyone is already closed off in their own groups, I find if you're around enough and make an effort most people will be receptive. As for judgment, considering the nature of the internet and how many absolutely awful people there are online, just simply not being a colossal dick bag really goes a long way.

There's a lot of variation between online communities. Some of them have closed social circles (cliques, really), while others are still open - you just won't fit into any immediately.

I'd recommend either joining a place that's good to stop into once in awhile to kill some time or that has discussions you genuinely enjoy, even if you're not familiar with anyone yet. It's much easier to adapt if you have a reason for posting even if you don't know anyone yet.

I used to post on a board that was fairly closed and I never felt fully accepted into the group, although I enjoyed posting there. I stayed there for three years and then transitioned to another board. It was funny...at that new board I was reunited with someone from the old board who also felt like an outsider. We became close until bad honeysuckle happened, causing us to lose contact.
Moral of the story: when you get close to people online, make sure you become Facebook friends so you don't lose them in case one of you moves or has a life emergency. That way you won't lose touch after the shuffle.

wow really?
i am the complete opposite. push away people and dont make friends in real life, but online I have balls lol.
the problem for me is, i can make and keep female friends online. my best friend is a girl i met over a decade ago on the net.
but I dont seem to have as much luck making or keeping guy friends tho for some reason... they dont seem too intersted in talking to a guy like me.

yeah i guess that it's risky to make contact online friends in one place

i feel the same way even tough i don't easilly make friends online
well if you want i don't mind talking to you

but yeah i feel a bit rusty talking with people online because i have the feeling my humour sometimes Is misinterpreted
and people get the wrong idea of who i am

Latest posts

Back