Volunteer?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Osterman

Reaction score
I was reading posts in the Social Problems forum and saw that a couple of members suggested volunteering as a means of meeting people, so I got curious and thought I'd ask if anyone here does volunteer work and if so, what kind? Being an outdoorsy fellow myself, I currently volunteer at a local nature preserve and just this week started volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation center as well. While it does help with meeting people, for me it's more a means of networking for future jobs in wildlife research and conservation. The raptor center is tied to a university, so there are plenty of student volunteers who are closer in age, but still a little younger than me, whereas most of the volunteers at the nature preserve are retired and considerably older. Either way, the folks are generally agreeable and both places are nice to help out at. Anyone else here do similar volunteer work?

I'm not very outdoorsy, but a raptor rehabilitation center sounds really neat!

I've volunteered at libraries, schools, hospitals, and churches. I think I might like to try volunteering at animal shelters, mental health facilities or crisis centers. Lately I've considered becoming a volunteer mediator at a conflict resolution center, once I can pay for training.

I've been volunteering since I was 11 years old and I've never found it to be a particularly good way to meet people, so I think it'd be a mistake to go into it with that kind of expectation.

I have volunteered my time at numerous places over the years. For the last few years it's kind of been hit or miss since I don't have a lot of time and can't always do things with my kids tagging along. I try to volunteer at my children's school as often as I can and I try to volunteer during the holidays so my kids can get in the experience and habit of helping others (aside from the obvious reason, of course).

Yes I do something very similar, bat rehabilitation. I used to do some other things, too. I was surprised Solivagant said it's not particularly good for meeting people, I personally would say the opposite as it puts you with some like-minded people which is very helpful.

Volunteering at crisis or conflict resolution centers sounds like it could be pretty taxing. Not sure I could do that. Worthwhile endeavor though, hopefully you can get in. Is the training quite expensive, Solivagant?

Have you had many friendships develop through your volunteering over the years, TheRealCallie?

Bat rehabilitation sounds awesome, Shrimp! I take it you had to have your rabies shot before starting? How long have you been involved with that?

J.Osterman said:
Have you had many friendships develop through your volunteering over the years, TheRealCallie?

I have, actually. I mean, some of them were people I knew before, but volunteering together, we learned more about each other and became closer.

Volunteering is my primary source of social contact. A bit sad of a comment on my life, but it seems to be the hand of cards I'm playing. The public library volunteer group wasn't right for me but the university extension agency seems to be my cup of tea.

Now I've formed a partnership with one of the ladies in the group, to the point that we're in the friendship zone. Wow! That's a big deal for me and I'm not being sarcastic. So now our activities have extended outside the Master Gardener organization.....but still in the friend zone. So to state the obvious, I'm wondering if it's doable to move into the man/woman zone......but that's probably a subject for a different thread.

To stay on topic, the extension agency sponsored Master Gardeners are really outdoorsy, most of us are over 50 yrs old, retired, reasonably educated and a few have used it as a spring board for 2nd career, part time employment. And in this small town/rural county, a lot of us network together in various other venues.

I used to volunteer at a drug and alcohol recovery centre.
I think everyone should work in these places (fat chance) sometime and hear the stories of these people and there might be more help available and less condemnation.

J.Osterman said:
I was reading posts in the Social Problems forum and saw that a couple of members suggested volunteering as a means of meeting people, so I got curious and thought I'd ask if anyone here does volunteer work and if so, what kind? Being an outdoorsy fellow myself, I currently volunteer at a local nature preserve and just this week started volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation center as well. While it does help with meeting people, for me it's more a means of networking for future jobs in wildlife research and conservation. The raptor center is tied to a university, so there are plenty of student volunteers who are closer in age, but still a little younger than me, whereas most of the volunteers at the nature preserve are retired and considerably older. Either way, the folks are generally agreeable and both places are nice to help out at. Anyone else here do similar volunteer work?

J., I volunteered at a wildlife rehab clinic, many years ago, and was then asked to join the staff and ended up working there for roughly a decade. It was the best time of my life - the staff was incredible and had a family-like atmosphere, plus taking care of domestic and exotic animals and working with nearly 85% female staff...what more could a guy ask for? haha

Working there really honed my social skills and I met some of the greatest individuals that helped shape me and made such an impact in my life. And yes, you are correct, the contacts you'll make can and will help you with future endeavors...saw that many times with future vet students and vet technicians. I say put your time in and just enjoy it. Good luck.

Shrimp said:
I was surprised Solivagant said it's not particularly good for meeting people, I personally would say the opposite as it puts you with some like-minded people which is very helpful.

I guess I'm an exception then. What else is new, lol.

I've not made any friends through volunteering, nor met like-minded people; in fact I've had some pretty rotten experiences. At my last volunteer job (a public library), there was a guy there who hated me from the instant he met me for absolutely no reason I could fathom. He went out of his way to put me down, and even sabotaged my work and work relationships.

I've never gained employment from volunteering either. Perhaps I'm just horribly unlucky.

J.Osterman said:
Is the training quite expensive, Solivagant?

It depends, but it looks to be around $1200.

Solivagant said:
I've not made any friends through volunteering, nor met like-minded people; in fact I've had some pretty rotten experiences.

I have done a lot of volunteering and man, mostly horrible. I did not make any friends out of it. Though, I have gotten work related stuff / experience.

Recently I wondered if I need to concentrate my volunteering on experiences that are harder to get and might involve more people. Such as volunteering at a hospital that requires like an application process. But, I do think that might be hard on me since I work.

My volunteer experiences have been
- at a homeless shelter. I got stuck stacking cans.. alone, most of the time.
- I am a trustee at my condo. No one listens to me and gives me all the work.
- I worked at a tenant rights hot line. Usually alone with the phone all day.

I think if I could volunteer at a bar serving drinks I might make some friends. :)

I've done a lot of volunteer work but not at a wildlife nature preserve - that sounds like fun!
I worked in an adult literacy program and helped a woman in her 30s learn to read and write - very rewarding.
I was a "Big Sister" to a 10 year old girl in foster care.
Also volunteered at a domestic violence shelter.
I wanted to sign up for a hospital program to hold premature babies (helps them grow and develop faster) but the training was during my regular work hours :/
Also wanted to sign up to be a volunteer ombudsman for county adult services and investigate elderly abuse - again the training was during my regular work hours.

I've never made lasting friends in my volunteer jobs but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I would still volunteer but my young kiddo needs my attention now :) When she gets a little older, we will both volunteer together.

-Teresa

I guess I'm an exception then. What else is new, lol.

I've not made any friends through volunteering, nor met like-minded people; in fact I've had some pretty rotten experiences. At my last volunteer job (a public library), there was a guy there who hated me from the instant he met me for absolutely no reason I could fathom. He went out of his way to put me down, and even sabotaged my work and work relationships.

I've never gained employment from volunteering either. Perhaps I'm just horribly unlucky.

Sorry to hear you've had such unfortunate experiences volunteering. That definitely doesn't sound like a healthy environment. Did you ever bring up the situation with staff in charge to try and resolve things?

J.Osterman said:
Bat rehabilitation sounds awesome, Shrimp! I take it you had to have your rabies shot before starting? How long have you been involved with that?

Yeah in the UK it's a legal requirement for bat carers to have a rabies jab and have it topped up yearly. As long as you wear gloves and hold them properly there's no real danger.
I've been since March :) It's so rewarding helping the bats as once you start caring for them you realise how lovely they are; and all the UK bats are insectivores so they manage the population of midges, mosquitos, etc.

It's good work experience but unfortunately not connected to any uni :p , so I'm doing undergraduate studies on animal behaviour to boost my job prospects.

What have you learnt about working with Raptors? Sounds cool, we don't get them over here.

Its so nice to see so many people into volunteering.

For me, volunteering basically put an end to my depression. Dealing with people and animals who suffer, who don't even have the basic necessities in life made me stop feeling sorry for myself. I met all kinds of people who were totally different from me, and yet because we all have one common goal, the differences didn't matter. I've made some great friends through my voluntary work. Its interesting because some of these friends speak different languages and we barely communicate but that's when i realized that friendship and companionship goes beyond intellectual stimulation and good conversation. Its changed the way I behave around people and has helped me accept others as they are.

I think the reason I actually made friends volunteering is because I didn't do it to meet people. I started volunteering because I was trying to find a reason to not commit suicide. I told myself that even if I was completely unworthy as a human being, that at the very least I would choose to live just to help the less fortunate as best as I could. Even if it meant saving just one life, it would make my existence worth something.

Now, I am no longer depressed, and rarely pay attention to loneliness. Volunteering has boosted my self confidence because its given my life a sense of purpose. I even quit my job and became a teacher because I realized that the only way I was going to be happy is if I felt my existence had meaning.

Sorry for the long post, but I really am very passionate about helping others! Helping others helped me! :D

I volunteer to take part in a census of the homeless population in the city where I live that happens twice a year. Most of the other volunteers do some form of social work for their day jobs or have been doing the census for years so they would all know each other that way. I know it's all rather impersonal to me but you can feel very excluded in that environment.

I haven't had much luck with other types of volunteering. Most of the time it's like applying for a paid job, and because it's so competitive, agencies can pick and choose volunteers. It might be different in another city or I might have been particularly unlucky, I don't know, but that's my experience of voluntary work.

Latest posts

Back