Waking up in the morning.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer145

Reaction score
When I wake up these days, its really hard to sometimes tell myself this is life. This is how alone I am. I sort of lie for a minute then get up straight away...I know this is an odd thing but I sort of wake up without any sort of purpose. Go to work, hang out somewhere sometimes with people, most of the time with no one. It's just bad waking up with an empty feeling. I guess its because I don't have much direction these days, and being alone is both helping and hindering that direction... Maybe its because I'm not waking up next to someone, maybe its just not knowing what to do.

Do you feel you have a purpose when you wake up?

most of the days i wake up earlier than i should and just lay in bed, thinking that i have no real reason to get up. sure, studies, then work and money will keep me fed etc, but for what purpose? to spend a life alone?

If i actually manage to get out of bed, i try to put mini goals throughout the day, so i get the feeling of sucess when i complete them and get motivated to keep going

During the week I know I have to get up for work.

I have more of a problem on weekends when I don't have anywhere to go or anyone to see.

The biggest part for me is not being able to feel anymore. So, yes, life has become a bit autonomous. I've kind of shifted to thinking that my purpose is just to work, so I work, A LOT. I haven't had a day off in almost a year. I've been trying not to think about waking up alone. The pain causes more pain and just makes things more numb.

I wake up because if I don't I won't get paid, and eventually I'll starve. There's no one for me to see anymore. Right now it's 4 AM and I'll probably sleep until noon, but who cares? What difference does it make?

I used to wonder what the point of my life was and would anyone even noticed if I wasnt around anymore. Now I feel a bit better about things, I'm working on changing my current life so my life is better in the future. I spent along time sat at home, on my own hating my life, now I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I still dont have any friends but the more time I spend around people the better I get at socializing.

Maybe you could write down a list of things you want to do and achieve in your life, then start working on the list. I've found that the more things I do, the better I feel, I feel like my life is going somewhere now, even if things arent happening as fast as I would like them to.

Wanderer145 said:

God no.

Being new here I'm reluctant to just spill my life story at once (I'm sure it'll come out eventually, bits and pieces at a time) so for now let me just say that I can relate.

I dread waking up each day. Partially because I love my sleep but mostly because, well, what makes a new day special, exactly? How is it, or how will it be, any different to the previous ones? What will change, exactly? I'll still be in a rut, still living the life I've had for around a decade now, still swimming in a sea of negativity, sarcasm, judgment... you name it. How is that something to look forward to?

Of course, new days bring new possibilities. Things could change. Perhaps they already have. The thing about each new day is that while I personally dread them due to the circumstances I find myself in, I also kinda find them exciting and interesting. You just never know what's going to happen, and that's both scary (to an extent) and encouraging. I mean hey, I wasn't even posting here a day or two ago. Now here I am.

Maybe tomorrow I can take over the world. Doubtful. Delusional even, perhaps. But either way, it won't be the same as today.

Dreamer88 said:
I used to wonder what the point of my life was and would anyone even noticed if I wasnt around anymore. Now I feel a bit better about things, I'm working on changing my current life so my life is better in the future. I spent along time sat at home, on my own hating my life, now I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I still dont have any friends but the more time I spend around people the better I get at socializing.

Maybe you could write down a list of things you want to do and achieve in your life, then start working on the list. I've found that the more things I do, the better I feel, I feel like my life is going somewhere now, even if things arent happening as fast as I would like them to.

Some of us are comfortable socializing, can't find anyone with a criticism of our social skills or presentation despite looking, and do plenty with our lives - and yet we're in pain. Those who are in pain are not necessarily "sitting around and hating life".

Wanderer145 said:

Haven't felt like there is for some time. Not sure if it'll come back to me.. but so far, no.

Tealeaf said:
Dreamer88 said:

Some of us are comfortable socializing, can't find anyone with a criticism of our social skills or presentation despite looking, and do plenty with our lives - and yet we're in pain. Those who are in pain are not necessarily "sitting around and hating life".

Fair enough. I was just sharing my personal experience. I understand that everyones life is different. I was just sharing what I did to make myself feel better, I thought it might be helpful to someone. Obviously it wasnt.

Dreamer88 said:

I find this to be true at times and find myself doing exactly this. Being around people whether you like it or not, can help. The most important thing though is to be around the right types of people.

Dreamer88 said:
Fair enough. I was just sharing my personal experience. I understand that everyones life is different. I was just sharing what I did to make myself feel better, I thought it might be helpful to someone. Obviously it wasnt.

Thanks for sharing, Dreamer. I'm pretty sure this could be helpful to someone at least.

Routine can be a killer sometimes, but at least you have something to wake up for (work). However bad it may sound, knowing that you have something constant to look forward to everyday is much better in my opinion than having nothing to look forward to at all.

Latest posts

Back