Warning Signs That You're Dating a Loser

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shells

I was reading this article and would like to see what other people's inputs and opinions are.

Personally, I think this article hits some major parts of being in an abusive relationship. The whole article can also be found here: http://www.mental-health-matters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=171

I bolded some of the parts that are my favorite or seem to ring truest to me.

"1. Rough Treatment "The Loser" will hurt you on purpose. If he or she hits you, twists your arm, pulls your hair, kicks you, shoves you, or breaks your personal property EVEN ONCE, drop them. Male losers often begin with behaviors that move you physically or hit the wall. Female losers often slap, kick and even punch their male partners when upset.

2. Quick Attachment and Expression "The Loser" has very shallow emotions and connections with others. One of the things that might attract you to "The Loser" is how quickly he or she says "I Love You" or wants to marry or commit to you. Typically, in less than a few weeks of dating you'll hear that you're the love of their life, they want to be with you forever, and they want to marry you. You'll receive gifts, a variety of promises, and be showered with their attention and nice gestures. This is the "honeymoon phase" - where they catch you and convince you that they are the best thing that ever happened to you. Remember the business saying "If it's too good to be true it probably is (too good to be true)!" You may be so overwhelmed by this display of instant attraction, instant commitment, and instant planning for the future that you'll miss the major point - it doesn't make sense!! Normal, healthy individuals require a long process to develop a relationship because there is so much at stake. Healthy individuals will wait for a lot of information before offering a commitment - not three weeks. It's true that we can become infatuated with others quickly - but not make such unrealistic promises and have the future planned after three dates. The rapid warm-up is always a sign of shallow emotions which later cause "The Loser" to detach from you as quickly as they committed. "The Loser" typically wants to move in with you or marry you in less than four weeks or very early in the relationship.

3. Frightening Temper "The Loser" has a scary temper. If your boyfriend or girlfriend blows up and does dangerous things, like driving too fast because they're mad, breaking/throwing things, getting into fights, or threatening others - that temper will soon be turned in your direction. In the beginning of the relationship, you will be exposed to "witnessed violence" - fights with others, threats toward others, angry outbursts at others, etc. You will also hear of violence in their life. You will see and witness this temper - throwing things, yelling, cursing, driving fast, hitting the walls, and kicking things. That quickly serves to intimidate you and fear their potential for violence, although "The Loser" quickly assures you that they are angry at others or situations, not at you. At first, you will be assured that they will never direct the hostility and violence at you - but they are clearly letting you know that they have that ability and capability - and that it might come your way. Later, you fear challenging or confronting them - fearing that same temper and violence will be turned in your direction.

4. Killing Your Self-Confidence "The Loser" repeatedly puts you down. They constantly correct your slight mistakes, making you feel "on guard", unintelligent, and leaving you with the feeling that you are always doing something wrong. They tell you that you're too fat, too unattractive, or don't talk correctly or look well. This gradual chipping away at your confidence and self-esteem allows them to later treat you badly - as though you deserved it. In public, you will be "walking on eggshells" - always fearing you are doing or saying something that will later create a temper outburst or verbal argument.

5. Cutting Off Your Support In order to control someone completely, you must cut off their supportive friends - sometimes even their family. "The Loser" feels your friends and family might influence you or offer negative opinions about their behavior. "The Loser" begins by telling you these friends treat you badly, take advantage of you, and don't understand the special nature of the love you share with them. In some cases, if they can't get rid of your best same-sex friend, "The Loser" will claim he or she made a pass at them. If you talk to your friends or family, "The Loser" will punish you by asking multiple questions or making nasty accusations. Eventually, rather than face the verbal punishment, interrogation, and abuse, you'll develop the feeling that it's better not to talk to family and friends. You will withdraw from friends and family, prompting them to become upset with you. "The Loser" then tells you they are treating you badly again and you'd be better to keep your distance from them. Once you are isolated and alone, without support, their control over you can increase.

6. The Mean and Sweet Cycle "The Loser" cycles from mean to sweet and back again. The cycle starts when they are intentionally hurtful and mean. You may be verbally abused, cursed, and threatened over something minor. Suddenly, the next day they become sweet, doing all those little things they did when you started dating. You hang on, hoping each mean-then-sweet cycle is the last one. The other purpose of the mean cycle is to allow "The Loser" to say very nasty things about you or those you care about, again chipping away at your self-esteem and self-confidence. "The Loser" often apologizes but the damage to your self-esteem is already done - exactly as planned.

7. It's Always Your Fault "The Loser" blames you for their anger as well as any other behavior that is incorrect. When they cheat on you, yell at you, treat you badly, damage your property, or embarrass you publicly - it's somehow your fault. If you are ten minutes late for a date, it's your fault that the male loser drives 80 miles per hour, runs people off the road, and pouts the rest of the evening. "The Loser" tells you their anger and misbehavior would not have happened if you had not made some simple mistake, had loved them more, or had not questioned their behavior. "The Loser" never, repeat "never", takes personal responsibility for their behavior - it's always the fault of someone else. If they drive like a maniac and try to pull an innocent driver off the highway to assault them - it's actually the fault of the other driver (not his) as they didn't use a turn signal when they changed lanes. They give you the impression that you had it (anger, yelling, assault) coming and deserved the anger, violence, pouting, or physical display of aggression.

8. Breakup Panic "The Loser" panics at the idea of breaking up - unless it's totally their idea - then you're dropped like a hot rock. Abusive boyfriends often break down and cry, they plead, they promise to change, and they offer marriage/trips/gifts when you threaten ending the relationship. Both male and female losers may threaten suicide, threaten to return to old sweethearts (who feel lucky they're gone!), or threaten to quit their job and leave the area - as though you will be responsible for those decisions. "The Loser" offers a multitude of "deals" and halfway measures, like "Let's just date one more month!"

They shower you with phone calls, often every five minutes, hoping that you will make an agreement or see them just to stop the telephone harassment. Some call your relatives, your friends, their friends, and anyone else they can think of - telling those people to call you and tell you how much they love you. Creative losers often create so much social pressure that the victim agrees to go back to the bad relationship rather than continue under the social pressure. Imagine trying to end a relationship and receiving tearful calls from all his or her relatives (they secretly hope you'll keep them so they don't have to), seeing a plea for your return in the newspaper or even on a local billboard, receiving flowers at work each day, or having them arrive at your place of work and offer you a wedding ring (male loser technique) or inform you that they might be pregnant (female loser technique) in front of your coworkers! Their reaction is emotionally intense, a behavior they use to keep you an emotional prisoner. If you go back to them, you actually fear a worse reaction if you threaten to leave again (making you a prisoner) and they later frequently recall the incident to you as further evidence of what a bad person you are. Remember, if your prize dog jumps the fence and escapes, if you get him back you build a higher fence. Once back in the grasp of "The Loser" - escape will be three times as difficult the next time."

I know this is out of order, but I also think there is a ton of truth to this one:
11. Public Embarrassment In an effort to keep you under control while in public, "The Loser" will lash out at you, call you names, or say cruel or embarrassing things about you in private or in front of people. When in public, you quickly learn that any opinion you express may cause them to verbally attack you, either at the time or later. If you stay with "The Loser" too long, you'll soon find yourself politely smiling, saying nothing, and holding on to their arm when in public. You'll also find yourself walking with your head down, fearful of seeing a friend who might speak to you and create an angry reaction in "The Loser".

To see more of the article go to:
http://www.mental-health-matters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=171

If you are with someone like this.. please, please, please end the relationship. I know all too well how quickly some / all of these behaviors can escalate, and trust me, it doesn't get better with time... it just gets worse.

LOL, I'm not.

Boyfriend takes good care of me :D Wouldn't be with him if he didn't.

However, I have experienced some ugly things in relationships (even in friendships, too!) that relate to this article. This article also reminded me of friends whom were stuck in abusive relationships or experienced them.

Thought it would be interesting to share and see people's opinions about it.

Danielle, I also agree with you. If someone were in this kind of relationship, it would be best to just end it and not look back.

2. Quick Attachment and Expression "The Loser" has very shallow emotions and connections with others. One of the things that might attract you to "The Loser" is how quickly he or she says "I Love You" or wants to marry or commit to you. Typically, in less than a few weeks of dating you'll hear that you're the love of their life, they want to be with you forever, and they want to marry you. You'll receive gifts, a variety of promises, and be showered with their attention and nice gestures. This is the "honeymoon phase" - where they catch you and convince you that they are the best thing that ever happened to you. Remember the business saying "If it's too good to be true it probably is (too good to be true)!" You may be so overwhelmed by this display of instant attraction, instant commitment, and instant planning for the future that you'll miss the major point - it doesn't make sense!! Normal, healthy individuals require a long process to develop a relationship because there is so much at stake. Healthy individuals will wait for a lot of information before offering a commitment - not three weeks. It's true that we can become infatuated with others quickly - but not make such unrealistic promises and have the future planned after three dates. The rapid warm-up is always a sign of shallow emotions which later cause "The Loser" to detach from you as quickly as they committed. "The Loser" typically wants to move in with you or marry you in less than four weeks or very early in the relationship.

I find it wonderful to see how today's society is shitting all over romance. Just wonderful.
Unhappy.png

Seriously though, if you're terrified of having your heart broken then sure, end that specific type of relationship.
If you're not afraid of having your heart broken then go for it with all you have.
Immerse yourself in it. Enjoy it, whether it will last you three weeks or the rest of your life.

One statement does not apply in each situation because we are all unique individuals.

How can you find happiness if you don't allow yourself to follow your heart?

How come, "If you're dating Nerdygirl" isn't on the list? Dag nabbit. I never get any recognition.

While I agree with much of what is contained in this article, I do have a concern about it. In creating a "loser" type, the author has lumped together all kinds of abusive or clingy personality traits; i very much doubt there are many people for which EVERY one of these rules is true.

Personally I believe it would have read much better as a list of behaviours that may show you're in an abusive relationship than some kind of profiling.

Oceanmist23 said:
One statement does not apply in each situation because we are all unique individuals.

I can agree with that. One relationship can't be directly compared to another, because they aren't all cookie-cutter similar.

However, I don't think it's realistic to plan a future (marriage, kids, etc.) with someone after a week or two of knowing them. Are there exceptions? Yes. But those are few and far between and are a miracle to behold if they pan out.

I'm more realistic than idealistic, I guess. I think my experiences have shaped me to be that way.

Steel said:
While I agree with much of what is contained in this article, I do have a concern about it. In creating a "loser" type, the author has lumped together all kinds of abusive or clingy personality traits; i very much doubt there are many people for which EVERY one of these rules is true.

Personally I believe it would have read much better as a list of behaviours that may show you're in an abusive relationship than some kind of profiling.

I think the author kinda attempted that. Maybe I should have included the introduction. I see what you're saying, though.

This is an excerpt from the intro of the article:

The following list is an attempt to outline the characteristics of "The Loser" and provide a manner in which women and men can identify potentially damaging relationships before they are themselves severely damaged emotionally or even physically. If your partner possesses even one of these features, there is risk in the relationship. More than three of these indicators and you are involved with "The Loser" in a very high risk relationship that will eventually create damage to you. When a high number of these features are present - it's not a probably or possibility. You will be hurt and damaged by "The Loser" if you stay in the relationship.

Is that what you were thinking of?

i scored 6 of 9...

you forgot, financial abuse, and loss of interests.

amateurs... >.>

*sigh*

I'm not going to go into any specific details, but some of those... okay most of those... okay, **** near all of them are reasons why I just can't be with my ex. The only things he didn't do was proclaim love for me instantly, call me every five minutes, or put me down. He did however do the whole "hot and cold" thing with me every other day. Every other day, I couldn't even guess what mood he might go into. I was a ***** at times too, but nothing like that. He does call me names, even now, but he didn't put me down in a typical sense, like calling me ugly or stupid. He always called me beautiful and gorgeous, and whether he really meant it or not, it made me feel good.

Still, it's hard to let go of someone you care about so deeply.

Warning signs that you're dating an *abuser* would be a more accurate title. If you're interested in how an emotional abuser operates, either in a relationship or in the workplace, the book "Stalking the Soul" by Marie-France Hirigoyen is worth a look.

h i said:
i scored 6 of 9...

f_minusm_906c16a.gif

AndrewM said:
Warning signs that you're dating an *abuser* would be a more accurate title.

I think so. "Loser" sounds like a clique judgment, while most of these are signs of abuse.

The term "loser" seems fitting, to me, because that's what abusers and jerks are.

For whatever reason, being called a jerk or abuser doesn't hold the same impact as being a loser does in today's society. Some people think it's "cool" to be considered jerk or abuser now days. :/

That's what it seems like to me, anyway.

That very well may be but to me "loser" sounds like high school kids teasing someone that they find to be different and who doesn't fit into their clique, while abuse is abuse.

We just perceive the words differently.

Minus said:
That very well may be but to me "loser" sounds like high school kids teasing someone that they find to be different and who doesn't fit into their clique, while abuse is abuse.

We just perceive the words differently.

Ahh, I see whatcha mean. :)

Oh ****
Females slashing my tire, breaking my guitars, hitting me or slapping me, calling me names, going through my journals,
cheating on me, clearing out my checking account, stealing from me, suicide threats, dragging my emotions through the mud.
Destroying my relationship with other woman as I try to move on with my life....etc the list gose on.
That can be define as a toxic relationship...no?

Evidently "psycho ***** of a fucken whore" makes me the gardenia for saying it.
No one belives me anyways...She's a female..she's so sweet, nice, socialable, cuddlie, beliving in god, prays all the time, has big tittes, pretty blue/hazle eyes,
she can have any guys we wants.

It took the cops 3 times to figure it out....becuase de police got involved. Never less..they firsk me first and ask me questions later.
becuase she was pounding her head against the wall and hitting herself threathen me if i didn't give her money.
They even told me they weren't going to arrest her...simply becuase of her " Job status" and that i would go and bail her out anyway.
And that all they would do is throw her in the tank and let her sleep it off..but ultimately they know it was going to be me that was going to pick up the bills.

An officer pulled me aside and tried to consel me. I had scratches all over me and my clothe was all torn.
He felt really bad becuase he knew it wasn't easy as just packing my begs and leaving. It was my home. My house. My life.
He tired to tell me in so many different ways to get away and stay away from her.
He wasn't saying stupid honeysuckle like...I put myself in the position to be hurt and it was my chioce and that I chose for it to happened.
But he did say...it was going to get worst and my life would be even more destroyed.

I wrote a song many years ago..it's call "FUCKEN RUN!!!!"
it took me 4 years to get out of that relationship from the moment I wrote that song.

We had break up sex and make sex all the time ( honey moon stage)..then wam bamm sweet poon tan..she's in la la land
and exhibit those same unhealthy behaviors...Then I'll go through a love stravation stage..."I'll do anything...anything, just don't leave me. I need you..etc"
And bascailly became her doormate.

Until the pains of staying was greater than the pains of leaving...I was staying.
I catch myself faster and faster after every saperations or cycle.
Even with the informations that I had about abusive relationships..it took me a while to get out..but ultimately it was because she left me for dead anyways.

My recovery has a lot more to do than just staying clean and sober.
I had to learn how to take myself out of the victim role and learn how to stand up for myself..without being accused of being a gardenia..becuase
as it say..it gets turn around on me real quick....

Also at the sametime...Isolating myself for a year wasn't too freaken healthy for me either.
A lot of trust and whatever else had been destroyed.
I had to learn how to trust again. I have to staying willing to love again if i wish to be loved.

Another book I found helpful for me is "who's pushing your buttons".
It gose into detais about manipulations or the game manipluator plays and the different stages you'll go through as you're being manipulated.
I found it help...becuase it tells me what I go through..my warning signs. I needed to change me...no matter who's right or wrong.
Manipultions is one of the tools a person with abusive personalities or behaviors uses....guilt and shame..guilt and shame.

here's the cycle chart
abusecycle.jpg

Latest posts

Back