What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
this ice bucket challenge seems the latest craze.
While anything for charity is a great idea, I think people are just jumping on the band wagon.
I would rather just donate some money like I did on Saturday.

The ice water is supposed to show people what people with ALS suffer every day. The cold slows down the nerves so you experience some of what ALS is like. It's not simply a craze, it's about awareness.

That said, given all the water problems around the world, I think it's a waste.

It's a gimmick. A good gimmick, but one nonetheless. The problem is people aren't donating, which is the point. Apparently, too many people are just dumping ice water over themselves for the hell of it and not bothering to donate.

VanillaCreme said:
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
While anything for charity is a great idea, I think people are just jumping on the band wagon.

The ice water is supposed to show people what people with ALS suffer every day. The cold slows down the nerves so you experience some of what ALS is like. It's not simply a craze, it's about awareness.

It's a gimmick. A good gimmick, but one nonetheless. The problem is people aren't donating, which is the point. Apparently, too many people are just dumping ice water over themselves for the hell of it and not bothering to donate.

Are you off your nut? They have over $80mil this year already.
http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-082614.html

VanillaCreme said:
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

Yes, it is definitely a gimmick, but that's the reason they use ice water and not something else. Because it shows a little of what those people with ALS go through.
I didn't get nominated for this, but even if I did get nominated, I wouldn't do it. I won't waste water like that and I can't afford to donate right now.

TheRealCallie said:
Yes, it is definitely a gimmick, but that's the reason they use ice water and not something else. Because it shows a little of what those people with ALS go through.
I didn't get nominated for this, but even if I did get nominated, I wouldn't do it. I won't waste water like that and I can't afford to donate right now.

You could just do it in a shower, then the water will be recycled through the treatment plant. Or you could do it on a diving board of a pool, waste not want not.

stb said:
Are you off your nut? They have over $80mil this year already.
http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-082614.html

Spare me the numbers. I never said that nothing was being raised. I said that some people weren't donating. Either they didn't realize what it was truly for, or perhaps they thought a corporation donated for every bucket dumped, but some people were doing it and not donating. The dumping of water itself isn't the donation. Everyone who does the challenge needs to realize this. Some weren't.

Yes, people do things to be part of the crowd. Many do them solely to be part of the crowd. But just because some people do it for the wrong reason, doesn't mean they haven't raised an extra $60 million dollars already this year.

The first time I saw it, it was a man with ALS doing it. Maybe that made me form a different opinion from the start. Whatever it is, good for the ALS Foundation I'm sure they will find a use for the money.

VanillaCreme said:
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

I bet most people don't even know what's it's about. The ALS thing, they won't know about that.

people jumping on the band wagon, trying to be part of the pack.
They don't want to feel left out. I enjoy been an outsider. I am aloof and I like it.
I donate to charities in other ways.

Triple Bogey said:
VanillaCreme said:
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

I bet most people don't even know what's it's about. The ALS thing, they won't know about that.

people jumping on the band wagon, trying to be part of the pack.
They don't want to feel left out. I enjoy been an outsider. I am aloof and I like it.
I donate to charities in other ways.

How magnanimous of you to judge other peoples contributions and commitment- you're a class act TB.

I can only speak for myself, I took part in the IBC as I am currently taking a break from charity fundraising activities-I would normally take part in at least one fundraising activity each year, I took a break this year mainly because I want to do something quite big next year(trek in Machu Picchu or the Great Wall) for which I will need to raise at least £3500, I decided to give people a break from me going round with a hat before I have to really go for it next year.

IBC has allowed me to raise awareness for a charity that I haven't supported before & I put my hand in my pocket(I also have monthly donations I subscribe to) without having to bother anyone else(except of course nominating a couple of my chums).

Just saying.

I'm not that much of a fan of the IBC. I can see it's raising money, but awareness? Not really. 90% of people wouldn't have a clue what it's about, and are only doing the IBC for attention. I was nominated but turned it down. I feel it's pressuring people to donate to a charity. Donating should be from yourself, not because someone nominated you. If money is being raised, fair enough. I just think it's a stupid way to go about it.

I'm involved with other charities by the way. Not because they were advertised, or because I was pressured into it. But charities I care deeply about

Nothing in this world can ever please everyone. Some people find issues with every little thing, even if there is a genuine meaning behind it.

Solivagant said:
This month has been nothing but bad news.

Same for me. And this is my birthday month. It is by far the worst birthday month I've had in my life. I'm really overwhelmed by all of it. I guess all I can do is just carry on and not waste any more time, but it's been a bad time.

I think of this forum and this song comes to mind.

Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near
Look at him working, darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

All the lonely people
All the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name
Nobody came
Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved

All the lonely people (Ah, look at all the lonely people)
All the lonely people (Ah, look at all the lonely people)

Latest posts

Back