What do you do when you see others have what you don't?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeoneSomewhere

Reaction score
Like when you are out (maybe you HAD to go out) and you see people your age, with a group having a blast, laughing, having a fun time. Or even if a pair of close friends having a deep conversation - something that you have never had.

Or even when you read stories online about people finding love and having crushed and stuff and you kinda know that it can't happen to you, EVER!

What do you do? Turn a blind eye?

EveWasFramed said:
Personally, I envy them a little, but Im mostly just happy that others can have happiness in their lives.

But doesn't it get a little too much at times? Don't you get pushed off the edge because of that?

SomeoneSomewhere said:
EveWasFramed said:
Personally, I envy them a little, but Im mostly just happy that others can have happiness in their lives.

But doesn't it get a little too much at times? Don't you get pushed off the edge because of that?

Nope. Im sure some people get pretty frustrated by it, but really....what good does it do one to get bitter about it? Those types of feelings can be felt/seen by others, making your chances of forming friendships/relationships even slimmer.

I used to have those feelings, I was quite popular at highschool i was constantly surrouned by friends but when I left school everything changed, i moved overseas lost contact & was working so much never had time for much else, it became all to easy to let life pass me by, id see others & constantly wish for what they had, thinking i'll never have that, but I know now that you have to be willing to be a part of your wishes in order to make them come true, wishing without willing = waiting, and wating can be forever, so dont envy dont hate just visualise and go out & get it, be realistic be healthy be energetic & be happy cos if you cant be all of those things for yourself how can you be that for sumone else? Change ur attitude change your thinking and go out there & go for it, you are beautiful you are wonderful & you are stronger than you can imagine, the difference between those who do & those who dont is selfbelief! so believe in yourself cos I believe in you!!!!

SomeoneSomewhere said:
EveWasFramed said:

Anger makes it hard to focus and see clearly, which makes it harder to appreciate what I do have.

I'm happy for them. Pretty much everyone I see that is my age (and often much younger) has FAR more than I do, but if I let that bother me, I'd start to become bitter. I'd rather look on the bright side.

EveWasFramed said:

This.

Even when I see people with screaming kids I envy them because at least they have kids even if they are being bad. When I see groups of friends out it reminds me of high school, I miss having friends to hang out with.

In these situations, you have to realize that every single person leads a different life, they have theirs, and you have yours. Just because someone's doing something you would like doesn't mean you'll never have it, also, just because they may not appreciate their life or situation maybe as much as you would doesn't mean they don't deserve it, ultimately it's weather you do anything about it.

Sometimes when I see a couple holding hands or kissing, it does get to me a little but I soon get over it and think about other things.

9006 said:
In these situations, you have to realize that every single person leads a different life, they have theirs, and you have yours. Just because someone's doing something you would like doesn't mean you'll never have it, also, just because they may not appreciate their life or situation maybe as much as you would doesn't mean they don't deserve it, ultimately it's weather you do anything about it.

This, really.

I don't understand the question. What kind of answer are you hoping to get? "I start screaming at them that they suck"? "I throw chairs at them"?

if you're wondering that, your ego is playing with you. Ego is not satisfied with what you already have, he always wants more. The only way to be happy now is to be satisfied with what you already have. That not mean you shouldn't seek more.

If I feel the facebook phenomenon coming from them, I get annoyed, if I don't, I'm genuinely happy for them.

Try not to be jealous...usually feel jealous anyway...then tell myself maybe I can have those things someday. Then try to think about something else.

Get jealous, then sad, then finally occupy myself with something else to take my mind off of it.

When I was younger I think I had envy to some degree. The last several years I've had a change in my thinking though- I don't own stuff, it owns me! It hasn't bothered me much to divulge myself of things I don't really need.

Usually I'm rather indifferent to those situations, but there are some days when it really just hits me and I sit in my room crying. I can be severely envious sometimes, especially when I think 'that should have been me', but I've grown used to an attitude where I just ignore it.

Sometimes it gets too much for me, and I'll have to find somewhere, usually a public toilet, and go there and cry. Yeah, I admit that. It's the feeling of being left behind, of never having the chance to have those social and relationship experiences. If it happens when I'm doing the grocery shopping, there are times when I've even gone and gotten a large pack of toilet paper, just so I have something to hold. I suppose, in all honesty, it can be quite a trigger for me, and there are times when it can take several days to feel over it ...

Worse though, is hearing a child say "daddy", and know that you won't ever be called that.

Latest posts

Back