What do you wish you had known when you were 20?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kamya said:
Don't quit university just because of stress and anxiety. Admit that the anxiety was the problem. No it wasn't too much math, no it wasn't boring, no it wasn't the wrong degree program. Yes you will spend the next 10 years treading water and hating yourself for it.

I get you there, although for me it was that I wasn't terribly interested in it and it was the wrong degree program. However, all of the work I had to do definitely caused me a great deal of stress and anxiety. One time, I had at least one stress breakdown per week where I'd just sit in my car, think about the path I was on, and scream. Like I said, I needed to have taken more time beforehand to do some serious career research and find where my interests and desired lifestyle can meet. I'm this weird tangle of interests that is always torn between money, creativity, and other things I care about.

I still don't know exactly what major I would have chosen instead, but I do know that I would have majored in something that makes money (but that I am at least somewhat interested in, as opposed to indifference or boredom) and minored in something that is closer to my passions and dreams, working on it all the while with the goal that one day one or more of my interests will overtake my day job.

Anyway, my brother just started a free online course from a major university this morning. Maybe if you took some free online courses, you could give your resume a little boost. It's something I'm considering myself.

There's more. Unfortunately, I have a lot of regret from these past 10 years. Sometimes I feel like I've lived my whole life wrong. Anyway:

I wish I'd have kept my interest in sci fi and fantasy going, and kept daydreaming, kept thinking of creatures and aliens to draw and working on writing my story. Again, much like the guitar, I wish I had not listened to the voice in my head telling me I wasn't creative enough to do it.

When I was 20, I wish I'd known that the girl I was chasing at the time, trying so desperately hard to figure out was not at all the one I wanted after all. I could have saved myself many, many days feeling sad and sorry for myself, many arguments with my friends about this which I am very sorry for, much embarrassment, and many times that really weren't all that fun. I didn't really have that much in common with this girl and besides our initial meeting, it was hard to make conversation with her. It was very awkward when we hung out and I got tired of the feeling I'd get when talking to her that I was basically talking to myself. There was no conversational "building" that real friends or romantic partners have, and every time we talked I felt we just weren't getting anywhere. I really wish she'd just been mean to me in the first place, or that she didn't seem like she was into the same things as me, which it turns out she wasn't really all that into anyway. I tried to figure this person out for 6 years, before I finally started meeting girls who showed me that the one I was chasing actually didn't have what I wanted all along.

Which brings me to my next big thing I'd known when I was 20 - that I eventually would meet girls that actually were the kind I'd been waiting, wishing, and hoping I would meet but didn't even know anyone like them was out there. And that I needed to be ready when I did meet them, because there wouldn't be much time to act. These were the girls I'm often sad about now, but the difference is we actually did have things in common and we could definitely have real, meaningful conversations about our interests and ideas that went much deeper than small talk. But because I'd been floundering around aimlessly throughout my early 20s, I hadn't built up any skills that I was good at or cool stories about me when I met them. I wasn't prepared, but I should have been.

I wish I had just focused more on what I did want, and not on what I did not. I wish I hadn't continued reinforcing my habit of complaining, getting angry, and seeing the negative way as the most likely outcome of any given situation, and having a really hard time seeing how things could turn out well. I wish I had started having a more positive, confident self-image then.

I wish I would have known that the recession was going to end and that things were going to get good again, so it would be worth it to work hard and keep trying even though I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn't have given up on life like I did.

Lastly, I wish I'd just had a deeper understanding of the idea that neither me nor my family and friends were going to stay young forever, so I needed to make the most of this precious time with them and not spent so much of that time complaining and being angry or sad. A lot of my family who were not that old when I was 20 are very old now. Even the ones who aren't old have just changed, and it doesn't look like things will go back to how they were then. And a lot of my friends have moved away, so I don't see them often anymore.

I hate to say it, but I really do wish I could do my 20s over again. There's a lot I would have done differently.

Another one wishing I didn't drop out of university at 20. I did go back eventually but it wasn't the same and didn't do me as much good in my life as persisting in the first place.

I wish I'd known that it was okay to be myself.

Finding love and being in a relationship isn't the most important thing in the world.

PenDragon said:
ladyforsaken said:
Finding love and being in a relationship isn't the most important thing in the world.

Yeah, not the most important but most needed thing in my opinion.

For you, perhaps. Not for me right now and I certainly don't think it did me any good back then.

ladyforsaken said:
PenDragon said:
ladyforsaken said:

Yeah, not the most important but most needed thing in my opinion.

For you, perhaps. Not for me right now and I certainly don't think it did me any good back then.

Yeah, either they work as blessings or disasters. Sorry to hear that Milady :(

PenDragon said:

No worries, either way I took away some valuable lessons from my past. Thank you, PD.

ladyforsaken said:
PenDragon said:

No worries, either way I took away some valuable lessons from my past. Thank you, PD.

Life's way to teach us. I hope I don't forget mine. Always a pleasure to have you around.

I'd say "There are things you could do now that won't be easy to do when you're 25, so get out there, do it, atleast try and maybe in 5 years, you won't have as many regrets"

that love hurts cannot kill you, and that in fact they can be silenced quite effectively

niceguysfinishlast said:
What if you are 20? XD

Then read through this thread and try to take whatever good and suitable advice you can for yourself. You might even have experienced some things recently while you're still 20 to share with us, please do then.

I would have spent the time on my body, looking good, and finding a good husband. I bought wholesale the whole late 80s and 90s it is more important to be educated and have a career -- then you can find a guy. But I spent my 20s working on the career and then (1) most guys don't want a career woman or a woman smarter / make more money than them and (2) my career sort of blew up when the economy failed and (3) when I finally was done with all that and could look for a good guy... most were gone and my parents started failing.

I have a friend who always goes on about how her life was ruined when she got pregnant at 16. But what ruined. She has the job I do, she has grown kids, grand-kids AND a husband. She did it right. She had the kids young, got the husband and then, with their help and support she got the degree.

Wow. Oh Wow. This is seriously an exercise in self appreciation. Because I've been around a long time now, and so trying to come up with what I wish I'd known at 20 just serves to point out how much wiser I am now. There's so much I could say, but here goes:

1. There is no RIGHT WAY!
2. Do things, do things, do things!
3. Be present as much as you can, all the time.
4. Yes I am different, accept it, don't keep trying to excuse myself, be as much ME as I can.

Sometimes said:
Wow. Oh Wow. This is seriously an exercise in self appreciation. Because I've been around a long time now, and so trying to come up with what I wish I'd known at 20 just serves to point out how much wiser I am now. There's so much I could say, but here goes:

1. There is no RIGHT WAY!
2. Do things, do things, do things!
3. Be present as much as you can, all the time.
4. Yes I am different, accept it, don't keep trying to excuse myself, be as much ME as I can.

Bravo! May the time come when we can all feel the same s

ladyforsaken said:
niceguysfinishlast said:
What if you are 20? XD

Then read through this thread and try to take whatever good and suitable advice you can for yourself. You might even have experienced some things recently while you're still 20 to share with us, please do then.

Sounds like good advice there. As for experiencing anything new, my life's been way too monotonous and boring for that.

Latest posts

Back