What do you wish you had known when you were 20?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PenDragon said:
...that outside world is more fascinating than books. I wish I had known that when I was 20.

Haha. I'm the opposite. I wish I'd read more books at 20, and gone out less. A lot of the times I went out, I was pretty aimless. I kept expecting something to happen but it didn't. I would have better spent my time reading and who knows what ideas I would have had to think and talk about.

Here's another one, not that I wish I knew, but that I wish I could have done. That is, to let what is available now be enough. Or maybe I would say, accept what is available right now, don't reject it just because it isn't as big and bright and bold as I wanted.

I would have been so much happier if I could have done that.

Here's a new one -

I sometimes go back on YouTube, and listen to music that I remember when it was new, and wrote it off. I didn't like it because it was emo, or too frat-boy-ish, or some other reason like that - a superficial, taste-based reason.

Most of the time, I find that I still aren't into it, but more than anything it's just a matter of taste/style. I recognize that it's competently made, just not my cup of tea.

But before, I also remember thinking that when people liked these things, I jumped to the conclusion of value-judging them for their tastes - oh, this person dresses this way, talks this way, listens to this artist or is part of this subculture, drives this kind of car, etc. they must be an a-hole. And I mean, I don't know what they were like in their personal life. But the vast majority of the time, it wasn't anyone that ever treated me badly personally.

I wish I realized that I don't have to get all mad and critical of people, just because they have tastes or belong to subcultures that I don't share.

If someone hasn't actually done bad things, but they just have tastes that I don't, it doesn't automatically make them a bad person and I don't have to just hate them or assume they are an a-hole for no reason.

I guess...it's an example of how I misplaced my emotions, because I was not putting them where they were supposed to be - in getting good at something and living my own life, because I thought I wasn't good enough for that/that it was impossible for me.

It's better to find a good job at 20, and it would be good to change it more often then never, and learn everything you can at 20.
Because now it's much more difficult. Also I wish I knew 26 was too early for a baby. 30+ would be better.

I would have stopped trying to be like everyone else around me, turned my focus inward, and begun that journey instead.
Same 100%

I hadn't learned the concepts of enmity, envy, deception, or how knowledge of the spirit of man was or is a gift (used in the "present" context) so hadn't accepted they were even things, tools of understanding in social dynamics or my enviroment, while trying to account for my life experiences that had I become more introspective I might of been able to avoid them.

You live and learn.
Im not to cool for school and have new eyes to see, so I never skip my teachers advice.

The results of every sporting event in today's times so I could bet on them in advance and get rich. Much like Biff did on BTF 2.

cunnilingus is never a good idea unless your partner has showered, epilated and exfoliated her nether regions. The follies of youth aye!

wish i'd known that one has to burn the midnight oil for decades to get ahead in life. in my 20s i still had the energy for that. not anymore.

Latest posts

Back