What mistakes did you make when you was younger ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally caring too much about what people think.
Wasting time on trying to get certain people to like me (who didn't like me), while neglecting the people who did.
Not getting enough sleep, walking around like a zombie during the day unable to hold coherent conversations.
Wasting a year and a half of my life staying up to all hours playing World of Warcraft.
Poor choice of clothing, particularly when younger.
Wearing a hat for most of my 20's because I was worried about going bald.

I'm still young.

But anyhow, letting bullies decide who I am, and then eventually dropping in school levels (but I picked myself up, I'm in uni now.)
Not standing up to my mom.
I would say not taking my medication for ADHD but lol 6 years later they start announcing how bad it is, I was onto something.
Not going to the logopedist (but afterwards I trained on myself and developped my voice. I didn't have one when I was a kid.)

avoid "love" or any sort of emotional connection,,hide from my emotions/feelings. i thought it was the "right" thing to do, that hiding from pain and sadness is easier than facing it. ended up in an older me getting overwhelmed from all these feelings with no idea how to handle them

use a lot of drugs and alcohol for "bad reasons"

not use many chances i had to fix my life

ardour said:
Generally caring too much about what people think.
Wasting time on trying to get certain people to like me (who didn't like me), while neglecting the people who did.
Not getting enough sleep, walking around like a zombie during the day unable to hold coherent conversations.
Wasting a year and a half of my life staying up to all hours playing World of Warcraft.
Poor choice of clothing, particularly when younger.
Wearing a hat for most of my 20's because I was worried about going bald.

Similar to me.

I tried to fit in so I did things I didn't really like eg going out drinking with some so called friends who didn't give a ******* honeysuckle about me.

I used to wear a cap and I also wasted money on hair replacement products which didn't work.

Wasted so much time wondering if women liked me when they obviously didn't.

I trusted to people way too easily. Also I got jealous of my ''friends'' about their lives etc. :/ Though, I didn't show the jealousy in any way and I've learned my mistakes. I was a door mat and let the bullies walk over me and continue the bullying for years. And when I finally told to the teacher, nothing happened. Well, I have learned to defend myself now.

Falling for people who were unavailable. Taking too much notice of people and their plans for my life-should have told them I wanted to decide for myself.

ringwood said:
Triple B - not to undermine your posting, but does any of this matter in the here and now? And the things you list as mistakes, they are more personality traits, not 'mistakes' - I mean, too shy, too sensitive, not talktative enough...who says so? There is nothing wrong with being sensitive and quiet and shy - you are an introvert, it's not something to be shameful of. Anyway, my response to your question: I don't consider anything I've done in my life to be mistakes, more learning opportunities about both myself and other people & situations and a chance to grow. There ya go! :)

This.
The past is the past, I can't change any of it and without it, I wouldn't be who I am today, so I don't consider them mistakes at all. If I did, that would mean I have regrets and I don't and it's doubtful that I ever will. It is what it is and I accept that 100%.
If you learn from your "mistakes," then they aren't mistakes at all.

TheRealCallie said:
ringwood said:
Triple B - not to undermine your posting, but does any of this matter in the here and now? And the things you list as mistakes, they are more personality traits, not 'mistakes' - I mean, too shy, too sensitive, not talktative enough...who says so? There is nothing wrong with being sensitive and quiet and shy - you are an introvert, it's not something to be shameful of. Anyway, my response to your question: I don't consider anything I've done in my life to be mistakes, more learning opportunities about both myself and other people & situations and a chance to grow. There ya go! :)

This.
The past is the past, I can't change any of it and without it, I wouldn't be who I am today, so I don't consider them mistakes at all. If I did, that would mean I have regrets and I don't and it's doubtful that I ever will. It is what it is and I accept that 100%.
If you learn from your "mistakes," then they aren't mistakes at all.

yes - 'The most useless thing in the world is that which is behind me !'

Life is about making mistakes.

If we don't make mistakes we aren't living.

I think it's common to make mistakes especially when we are young. It goes with the territory.

I heard a Buddhist meme once. "What is life? Mistake after mistake" lol

Okay my mistakes. I was not healthy enough to "move on" in a normal period of time like others. I think it stemmed from childhood loss. So with one relationship in my twenties it actually took me about FOUR years to get over it. FOUR years. I just didn't have the tools or the knowledge for the basics of life.

I put my boyfriend's first before my friends. I wish I never did that. =\
There were times where I trusted to easily and thought everyone liked me and assumed too quickly.
Picked the wrong guys.

lonelyfairy said:
I trusted to people way too easily. Also I got jealous of my ''friends'' about their lives etc. :/ Though, I didn't show the jealousy in any way and I've learned my mistakes. I was a door mat and let the bullies walk over me and continue the bullying for years. And when I finally told to the teacher, nothing happened. Well, I have learned to defend myself now.

I think I see what you mean. I may have went through something similar in high school. Sorry that happened. Glad you've learned to defend yourself though. :)

I invested *far* too much of my time and energy in the wrong people. I used them as a shield to protect me from my own misery and pain, while it ate away at me and every day a little piece of me died. When I finally began to start facing my demons and, after a time, learned to accept them, it was like being reborn.

I believe that we should embrace our mistakes and our failings. Never shy away from them. That's the key to conquering them.

My past used to eat at me. I used to live in it and mope. When I thought I had no future, it made it much worse.

I wish I would have gotten out of relationships that were bad earlier. I don't regret them because they made me learn a lot about myself and what I truly want/need in a relationship.

I wish I would have calmed down and wasn't so over the top. People like me, even though I hate myself, people like me there was no need to be an idiot.

I wish I would have been more accepting of people and there flaws. I'm way better now, just wish I didn't burn bridges like I used too.

I've made too many mistakes to mention. I think most of my mistakes were made in responding in a wrong (but unavoidable) way to other people and events in my life. I responded to my dad's alcoholism, my mother's stupidity and the general dysfunctional nature of my early life by rebelling at school and getting into trouble with the Police. I had low self-esteem, began to hate authority and engaged in heavy alcohol consumption and substance abuse. At school I wasn't interested in what was being taught and actively stayed away. A pattern of offending behaviour fuelled by anger and alcohol consumption emerged, and I committed many public order offences.

I left school without any educational qualifications, then attempted to compensate and rehabilitate myself by going through university in my 20's, but after graduation began to experience clinical depression and once again used alcohol to cope. I lapsed into a long period of heavy drinking during which I began re-offending and ended up in prison. That was 12 years ago. I still have to deal with depressive episodes and have become a social recluse, but I now own my own home, haven't offended in 12 years, and am virtually tee-total.

Life experience has taught me that a solid and stable family foundation is important for the formation of a stable adult. I never had that, and although I have a University degree and am not stupid, I still struggle with my demons and am still vulnerable. I haven't made any mistakes in over a decade, but my life's not over yet, and I take each day as it comes.

When me... was younger lol

I got addicted to dissociative drugs, got expelled from two schools, dropped out, did lots of psychotic and illegal things, and pushed away everyone I ever knew. I'm now 20 and have very little "real" life experience. I've never had a girl friend, though I'm not a virgin. I dated a girl I'd known online for years when I was 19. She was 23 and things didn't really work out after a few dates but we decided to stay friends. Then the rejection and jealousy of her (she's smart, college educated, pretty, has lots of life experience, and many many friends) sort of got to me. I fell into a deep deep depression and tried to kill myself. I had to break off the friendship with her. I have BPD, so I can grow really attached to people and when they leave me it's like I'm missing a part of myself.

I had fallen madly "in love" with her and she was getting married to someone from the same online community that we met on. It devastated me. They got divorced and she wanted to take a plane with me to CA and rubber tramp, but she changed her mind to do something else, which only devastated me more. When someone comes into your life like that, and you're desperate and alone... it's like they are a shining white light... You're savior... and when they leave it's just... It's such a tough thing to deal with in life, but I'm working through it. With much progress. I'm slowly getting over it, but it was a huge mistake for me to get that attached that quickly.

I've never worked a real job. Just under the table stuff here and there, mainly to get money for drugs or booze or whatever (I'm sober now). Um... I made a lot of mistakes, but I'd prefer not to dwell in the past too much. :/

Latest posts

Back