What religion do people here belong to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spare said:
I look at the wonders of the universe and of the world, I think of the intricacies of life, of our individual personalities, of the existence of emotions both fair and foul, and I cannot help but believe there is a God.

At the same time I think it is very naive of us to say we know anything about him, and I find it difficult to believe that a benevolent, all-powerful spiritual being would be so self-centered as to require that he be worshipped. But who knows? I sure don't. Better safe than sorry, I say.

Regarding worship, as I understand it, the best worship is to live your life as happy and fulfilled as possible. The better you feel, the more you increase the level of your own vibrations, which in turn has an uplifting effect on those around your and etc. Not worship as in 'now let's all bow to the almighty god'. It isn't some separate entity anyway, we're all individual expressions of it.

TheLonelySkeptic said:
I'm a Pastafarian.

Sauce be upon you.

RAmen.

Sauce be upon you Bro. Touched by his noodly appendage.

[/quote]

(6) Well then call this post the D-day for religion

i present Christi-Vanity to you.

You will all join it now, or you burn in hell ^_^.
Is Christi a blonde ?
And what mirracles can Christi preform for me and how many ?

And how the hell will I have to warship Christi ?
Send her $5 via pay pal or dose Christi accept IOU ?
Do I have to do sometype of body peircing ?

I consider myself a lazy Christian with atheist undertones. Believe in the trinity, but sometimes get annoyed when it gets brought up and am too lazy to bother reading the bible.

I was brought up Jewish. Now I consider myself to be agnostic because it seems more logical to me. I do enjoy studying religion though, it is always a big topic of discussion in my classes.

Rodent said:
Discordian mostly. Except when I'm not.

I learn about something new every day :p

I don't belong with anything, it would seem

Religion, to me is much more of a denial of a preconceived notion of reality. It's a straw man argument where the world is designated an evil place, full of wickedness and cruelty. Heaven is set up as a place of tranquility and the only way anyone can get to this respite is to follow others into religion and give over control of your lives to those who supposedly speak for God.

In a nutswhell you give everything to the Church and after you die and can't return to verify anything, you are given a reward for denying all the pleasures of the world. Sounds like a loose loose scenario that has played out literally 1000's of times. Those on the religious right speak badly about wealth distribution, but the church has been distributing it's parishioners wealth to itself for the last 2000 years.

oh-kay? said:
In a nutswhell you give everything to the Church and after you die and can't return to verify anything, you are given a reward for denying all the pleasures of the world. Sounds like a loose loose scenario that has played out literally 1000's of times. Those on the religious right speak badly about wealth distribution, but the church has been distributing it's parishioners wealth to itself for the last 2000 years.

People are free to believe in what they choose. This is simply what you believe it to be, and though others may agree, we don't know what really happens or what has happened. If we could play history like a movie, perhaps it would be a lot easier to decide how to be, but unfortunately, we can't.

oh-kay? said:
Religion, to me is much more of a denial of a preconceived notion of reality. It's a straw man argument where the world is designated an evil place, full of wickedness and cruelty. Heaven is set up as a place of tranquility and the only way anyone can get to this respite is to follow others into religion and give over control of your lives to those who supposedly speak for God.

I'm glad you're here to help. Here I thought I was reading about things like how to use meditation, focused exercises, and critical thinking to improve one's self-control and awareness, that restrictions can be destructive to spiritual understanding and to people, and that the point of it all has nothing to do with a heaven or a hell. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Tealeaf said:
oh-kay? said:

I'm glad you're here to help. Here I thought I was reading about things like how to use meditation, focused exercises, and critical thinking to improve one's self-control and awareness, that restrictions can be destructive to spiritual understanding and to people, and that the point of it all has nothing to do with a heaven or a hell. Thank you for opening my eyes.

I don't know anyone who has ever been lonely who has never wanted to be someone else. Has this spiritual hoping and wishing ever helped anyone out other than to remove their conscientiousness away from reality, as drugs and strong drink dull the senses?

The idea of meditation is bring inner peace to yourself be blocking out all external forces. It does nothing to prepare a person to be who they need to be in an unforgiving world full of those who prey on less influential people, to make themselves look bigger.

There are literally thousands of nerds, which I am one, who are well versed in critical thinking that is only important to other critical thinkers. Is this not the very reason these web sites have come in being? Those who search these places out are getting killed out in the real world by those who are dumber than a box of rocks, but have what it takes to be popular.

You want focus, let me give you my philosophy in life and lets talk about something that works for me. Not that it made me more popular, but it does allow me the clarity to see those who are popular for what they truly are, instead of what others see them as.

I read a very good book a while back called "The four agreements" It started out explaining just how domesticated human beings were and how this domestication has given us a false truth that stipulated just how the social roles of men, women and everything else was to work, so that the those people who fit into that mold could have comfort in the knowledge that they were normal and the rest of us were strange, weird and socially unacceptable. This reality put a target on all of our backs because our existence didn't support the image society so many others are familiar with.

This is why were are all here. Not because we are different, because all people are different and many find this reality very comfortable. It's just that these people who fit in are all different in the same ways. It's like people who get earrings and piercings so they can call themselves individuals, but the get the same ones, so they all look alike and yet assume that they are, somehow rebels.

Is this not the same thing that religious people do. Do they not create an image of normality and think if that adhere to certain standards that they will get a reward and is this not the same thing that popular society does and aren't we the secular equivalent to being gay in the religious community? Are we not ostracized, ridiculed and excluded for something that we had no choice in being?

If this tweaks your interest, I will continue with this, but far more deeply.

Long post of assuming things about my life again just from a glance at the first few sentences. Going on ignore. Have a good time telling other people all about themselves, sir.

Please take this to PM or discuss it elsewhere. Religion bashing or berating is not something we allow here for very obvious reasons. If you wish to share your views, please do so privately.

Not saying you're wrong for believing what you do; You're free to believe in anything. However, we try to prevent any flame-throwing that may happen. That is not acceptable here.

oh-kay? said:
I don't know anyone who has ever been lonely who has never wanted to be someone else. Has this spiritual hoping and wishing ever helped anyone out other than to remove their conscientiousness away from reality, as drugs and strong drink dull the senses?

The idea of meditation is bring inner peace to yourself be blocking out all external forces. It does nothing to prepare a person to be who they need to be in an unforgiving world full of those who would prey on less influential people to make themselves look bigger.

There are literally thousands of nerds, which I am one who are well versed in critical thinking that is only important to critical thinkers, who flock to these web sites in droves because they are getting killed out in the real world by those who are dumber than a box of rocks, but have what it takes to be popular.

You want focus, let me give you my philosophy in life and lets talk about something that works for me. Not that it made me more popular, but it allowed me to look at those who are popular and see them for what they truly are, instead of what others see them as.

I read a very good book a while back called "The four agreements" It started out explaining just how domesticated human beings were and how this domestication has given us a false truth that stipulated just how the social roles of men, women and everything else was to work, so that the those people who fit into that mold could have comfort in the knowledge that they were normal and the rest of us were strange, weird and socially unacceptable. This reality put a target on all of our backs because our existence didn't support the image society so many others are familiar with.

This is why were are all here. Not because we are different, because all people are different and many find this reality very comfortable. It's just that these people who fit in are all different in the same ways. It's like people who get earrings and piercings so they can call themselves individuals, but the get the same ones, so they all look alike, yet assume that in their minds that they are, somehow rebels.

Is this not the same thing that religious people do. Do they not create an image of normality and think if that adhere to certain standards that they will get a reward and is this not the same thing that popular society does and aren't we the secular equivalent to being gay in the religious community?

Are we not ostracized, ridiculed and excluded for something that we had no choice in being?

If this tweaks your interest, I will continue with this, but far more deeply.

This is a very judgmental post.
People are what people are, as long as no one is getting hurt, there is nothing wrong with believing what they believe.

I would expand on that, but I won't get into a debate on religion, especially not here.

VanillaCreme said:
Please take this to PM or discuss it elsewhere. Religion bashing or berating is not something we allow here for very obvious reasons. If you wish to share your views, please do so privately.

Not saying you're wrong for believing what you do; You're free to believe in anything. However, we try to prevent any flame-throwing that may happen. That is not acceptable here.

Nothing to PM. I don't talk to people who believe only their deeply enlightened personal choices (which have driven them to the same pain) can give me the life I desire if I allow myself to be rescued... without knowing anything about my choices except that they are not theirs, and therefore are not the right choices.

Tealeaf said:
VanillaCreme said:

Nothing to PM. I don't talk to people who believe only their deeply enlightened personal choices (which have driven them to the same pain) can give me the life I desire if I allow myself to be rescued... without knowing anything about my choices except that they are not theirs, and therefore are not the right choices.

That wasn't specifically to you, Tealeaf. I just mean the whole thing in general, if it were to become any deeper. My apologizes if you thought I was targeting you.

VanillaCreme said:
Tealeaf said:
VanillaCreme said:

That wasn't specifically to you, Tealeaf. I just mean the whole thing in general, if it were to become any deeper. My apologizes if you thought I was targeting you.

No worries, then. I always find it funny when people pull something the gay card without knowing that I'm actually reading texts from a pretty openly bisexual man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back