What's my motivation?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juri

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Well while reading this board once again as I sometimes do when the feelings come back, trying to feel understood, I couldn't stop myself noting that the ultimate answer to all our problems would be "change your life" And while I probably couldn't agree more as this is what we all desire...

I personally am not able to. I know I should go out to meet people. And I know I probably should finally get over the job rejections and not take them personal. However I don't and when I ask myself why I don't the only answer I can give is "for what?"

So what is my/your/our motivation? What is there that should keep us going? Of course the goal you go for could be one but a road can be rough with nothing else around to distract or motivate yourself...

I just feel like there is nothing that gives me the energy to get things going.

Well that was my rambling once more... I appreciate your comments...

My motivation has always been simply knowing that every aspect of my life that I am currently unhappy with will get better and that I'm the only one who can make most of those changes happen. If I don't stick to my goals, absolutely nothing will change. And because I want these things to change, I guess that's all I need.

I want to reach certain things. Like succeeding in my career, getting a gf, more friends, improving in my profession... The goals keep me motivated, I have my ups and downs tough. But when I do something I do it thinking about my goals.

You should bear in mind too, there are mental issues that can hold you back, like an unsolved problem in a relatonship with your parents. That's a classic one :p

Yeah I probably have some mental issues. Actually who doesn't? But I never visited a psychatrist or anything. The relationship to my parents is not the best. Well I mean I don't really trust them and I would be ashamed to tell them that I would want or am already getting help from a professional. I know of course that this would not be a bad thing but still it is something I would be afraid to talk about with them like a lot of other things. But we are getting off topic here.

I think what I was getting at was that I miss someone that assists me with my problems, which makes it even harder. There is nobody I could trust enough to talk with them about such things not like there are a whole lot of people anyways in my life right now. But on the outside to them I just wear a mask and act all happy. Of course part of me is also very anxious about a lot of things like I stated in another thread and most importantly there is always the "what if it won't get better..."

The never ending quest for the ultimate titays. :p
For whAt???? Just for fun...I guess.

As I get older...freaken people make honeysuckle more complicate than it has to be for me.
Then say I might have fucken mental issue or some **** thing.
i did all kinds of stuff people suugested to me or force me to do...with really crappy
ass result and on top of that...It wasnt really fun.

Lookin back on my life...
why i did certain things and didnt wanna do others.
The things i would do without permission or approval of anyone. JUmp out
of bed and just do it...without hastitations. I guess that's self movtivations
Whats the triggering mechanism???? It's simply honeysuckle...man. The fun factor.

Well...I havnt totally forgotten how to recieved. Titays from the heavens rains upon me
every now and then. Just gotta have my hands open to recieve....I guess. Then it's onto having just the same.

@ Juri. Being, I discovered, is just as great an achievement as doing. We underestimate the value of the now (present tense).

That said, it doesn't make life any easier or give any answers. Perhaps I am too much of an ascetic, but I cannot honestly think of anything specific that motivates me (other than my biological impulses that is). I have no material or careeral pursuits, and I have gotten rid of most ideological 'fantasies' I ever clung to. What did I find? That through anything I may gain or lose, if I know who I am, nothing can (so far) change that. That does not imply that I am 'happy', only perhaps that I may have some form of understanding as to the nature of my existence.

So you state that there is 'nothing' that gives you the energy to get things going. Is this lack of motivation not perhaps because you have realized or become aware of a new 'truth' that has, maybe without you wanting it, changed your outlook and understanding of life? Think about it. The mind can be very obscure. Is your mind not seeing the world according to new rules, yet you want to remain playing by the old ones?

And why is lack of motivation a bad thing? or, diffirently put, why should you be evaluated according to the social expectation 'to achieve'? 'Success' (for lack of a better word) is a state of being, not process. And 'success' does not always imply perfection, happiness and fullness.

Well I thank you for your kind words and I suppose i see a lot of things different than other people ( generally realizing how this world is slowly being run down by the human species) And I am not unhappy with not having to work right now or with doing the things I do as a hobby, even though I do them alone. The problem is that this society expects us to have a job in order to pay rent and bills and buy food. A home and food are things we humans need and as much as I would love never having to work ( who wouldn't?) It is something I have to at some point... I hope you see what I am trying to say. Money rules this world and surviving without it is rather difficult

I see the world as corrupt and broken, and how things are not as they should be. I will...I must...I am compelled to do anything I can to change this, and the work cannot begin too soon.

Whith that I agree 100%. Money/power does rule the world. I will approach with an existential (philosophical) reply.

The world is cruel, and upon that, absurd. CRUEL: Take for instance the historical and current reality of being a female or homosexual in many parts of the world. How the world works gets determined by who is in charge (and what they deem as right). ABSURD: The Roman empire brutally persecuting christians, only to suddenly embrace and extol the faith to remain in power. Currently the west is both cruel and absurd: It is based upon, and preaches the principles of, freedom and liberty, only to allow the merciless contradiction of relentless materialism and inhumane consumerism.

The reality is that there are people who are genetically and, dare I say, spiritually wired not to naturally be a person who is competative, social and materialist. But because the world does not cater for you, and extremely so, you are forced to adjust yourself against your nature. Just as the leper was expected to ostracise themselves, the homosexual was expected to remain in the closet, or a woman was expected to accept her inferiority.

Here follows the tricky part: But it is because of the fact that you are aware that you are being oppressed that you can start to understand the mental and relative nature of that oppression. A lot of suffering and oppression is not a physical reality, it is mostly mental frames of reference and cognitive habits. Yes, you do have the realities of the world you can do little about, but how much of that suffering is because you think like the world? It does not mean that you created or willingly chose to accept that way of thinking. But it does mean that you, subconsciously or not, adopted and mastered it. And now your own way of thinking, coupled with the realities of this world, is in conflict with your true nature.

I wish I had a better medium to amply explain and illustrate. But the whole scenario boils down to the 'absurd' (absurdism). You do not agree with how this world works, and you have nothing that gives you the energy to get things done. This is because of the fact that you are looking for meaning.

But are you looking for meaning in the right place?

"Money rules this world and surviving without it is rather difficult"

is quite diffirent to

"I just feel like there is nothing that gives me the energy to get things going."

The former may be a truthful observation, but does not have to result in the latter.

But this is only what I think.

Sincere Regards
RA

p.s (Please inform me if my argument is too abstract and academically specific. I tend to over analyze peoples way of thinking (though this is what I suggest you could do. Really look at how and why you reason the way you do.) I have tried to give you a philosophical approach (not psychological: we must also remember psychological personality types) My appraoch is that of 'Critical Theory', 'Cognitive and Logical Analysis', 'Phenomenology' and 'Postmodernism').

honeysuckle...even if i was a cave man....Id still have to get off of my ass and go hunt for food
or strave to death. Id still would have to compete for mates. Slapp the *****
around a little bit so she'll take care of my off springs. Teach her how to be a mean
ass ***** to protect my off springs and camp site. If she's aint with the program.
Teach my off springs to be hunters and gathers. Teach them defence from wild animals
or other humans tribes that's going to kill them or steal them and turn them into slaves.

Life was probably more messed up back when...sometime people had to go hunt where
the food is. They dont have a lot of possesion and travel lite. Set up shelter in extreem enviorment.
Everything was survival.

currency is just a form of exchange.
If I had a cantee of water in the desert and a man with a suitcase full of money, gold and diamond
offers that for exchange...Sorry dude, your gonna died and it'll be a fight to the death
for the water. The gold is worthless...not unless he knows how to use it as a weapon.lmao
I'll fight for the fucken gold or take it from him so he cant use it against me. It'll be a fight to the death never the less.

I think being unemployed will mess with a person's well being and out look on life...ive been unemployed and homeless.
Too much time on my hands and think too much. Sometimes if I think too much it's like the devil's workshop.
My mind gose looking for trouble and negative honeysuckle to focus upon. And of course you'll find and attract negative people
to feed on it even more.

You know as well as I do it's not all bad. There's pros and cons to everything...Dont get tunnel vision with the negatives.
All of this modern luxgury makes a man lazy...

You dont lack motivations. It's all in the pay offs.
You're just more motivated to sit on your ass..becuase it's nice and comfy when you dont have to do honeysuckle.lol Thats the pay offs.
IDK...what would motivate you to get off of your ass? .Not being homeless or being with a GF you can bring home every night
and bang the living honeysuckle out of her????.
Maybe to save enough money to travel the world..Go dfferent places..meeting different people???...To each his own.

Juri said:
So what is my/your/our motivation? What is there that should keep us going?

Hum, interesting question. A few years ago I began, what has turned out to be, some major life changes. Of course it wasn't some instantaneous plan I had devised on the spot; it began with small changes. The very simple answer of my motivation: I was tired of being unhappy. So instead of just continuing on a path I was not content with, I changed my path. There of course were difficult sacrifices that needed to be made, but I believe I came out better for it.

If I could tell anybody anything and have it mean something to them, it would be that there is a huge difference between living one's life and waiting out one's death. But you really can't tell anyone anything; they have to discover it for themselves and in their own time.

Latest posts

Back