Whats your biggest mistake of your life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Studying something I wasn't really sure I want it. Now I'm in debt and wasted precious years of my life recovering from the failure.

Giving up after finishing school, when I should have been applying quickly, now 2 years have passed and the employers don't seem to care for me.

The biggest mistake in my life is also the greatest success of my life, so it's hard to explain. In short, I left a woman that I'd spent a very many some years with. Things had gotten a bit rough at the time, and I decided it was time to end it, regardless of still being in love with her for the next few years after until that dissipated. What "I" decided to do, being newly single for the first time in what felt like an eternity, is instead of going to find another partner, I went on a bit of a pilgrimage I guess you could say, to find myself. And, in a lot of ways, I did, and in a lot of ways, I'm still searching. I realize now that she was holding me back from my potential, and at the height of my successes, I found that I probably missed having someone with me the most. Regardless of that, I started to undo the success that I had created for myself, to continue pursuing finding other parts of myself instead and carrying on with the show sotospeak. You learn a lot, a whole lot in life, from silence, and from nothing at all. I ended up falling in love with matters of spirituality, philosophy, and things of the sort. It's been rather quite therapeutic for me in a way. It's answered a lot of questions for me, some of which I needed answered, and some of which I was not able to handle yet. My friendships I've forged through this are always rather short lived, but the bond is stronger than my previous friendships.

Not taking more time to think over decisions, but also not thinkig thoroughly instead of being lead, when I was younger regarding higher education, jobs, career choices, friendships and relationships.

For me, it is spending time in relationships where my partner has no desire to have children. At my age, and with my past difficulties with pregnancy, I really shouldn't be wasting my time with someone who isn't like-minded in that area. It is very very important to me. Luckily, I can still change this.

I wasted so many career opportunities in college. I spent too many years working at 3rd rate jobs and getting drunk alone every night. I didn't look up my childhood/adolescent sweetheart when I had the chance (..'cause I was stoned and drunk..) and now we'll never know what kind of life we might have had. I spent too many years caring for my manic depressive mother and spiteful father instead of pursuing my own life.

I have a few decades left, my health is good and I own an income producing farm so it isn't all bad. Mom is still here but probably not for long....I won't miss her. And for the first time in a really long time, there's a lady in my life.

But it kind of sucks getting old and knowing it all could have been so different.

allowing others to convince me that love is performance based and can be taken away when you do not act their way....

I learned to lie well at an early age to forestall love being yanked from my mother and step father because I did not act (grades and such) like they wanted me too.

First GF I went all the way with dumped me for an older boy in high school because the first two times with her I was quick on the draw and ended fast...

Love of my life telling me that love is not enough, dumping me, and then having me as a backup for a year

All the years looking for happiness by some one else's approval...

now I synthesize happiness (no chemicals) instead of relying on fleeting feelings telling me so...

Probably allowing an incident in my early 20s to make me not care about having a relationship until 30.

Basically I got this crush on this girl at 22, 23 - and it ate at me every single day. I began to despise the feelings it gave me. I wanted the feelings to go away so bad but they wouldnt. It felt like a curse. So I decided to act on my feelings. Big mistake. I followed the advice of a fellow co-worker to approach her- biggest mistake of my life. I ended up looking like a **** creepy stalker. But I didnt ask for any of this...I didnt want these **** feelings...I wanted them to go away...it seemed I had just woke up one day with them.... I still remember going straight home and just sitting next to the phone waiting for a call late into the night before I eventually cried myself to sleep. I didnt eat for 5 days.

After this happened I pretty much gave up on love. Unless some girl threw herself at me I would never make the mistake of pursuing someone again. So I never looked into the eyes of any girl. I never tried to talk to them or carry a conversation. About a year ago I had a girl approach me...but I was so cold I treated the encounter as a professional conversation and excused myself. What happened to me?

So this went on for years. And then recently that feeling returned again. And again I acted on it. And again it left me crushed.

But something was different this time. I realized that all of this was making me....not me.

Allowing failure and rejection to prevent me trying again (or at least examining why in a clear and calm manner).

It's only a mistake if you don't learn anything from it. I choose to look at things I did wrong as lessons, because then they are helpful and will help me in the future if I ever run into a similar situation.

not leaving behind my family completely after I turned 18, or at least after I became able to earn a living

Somehow ending up as an adult who doesn't have his honeysuckle together.

I didn't get the life lessons that others get in their teens, and I don't see how I can catch up.

Giving people too many second chances. Indulging in too much second guessing (even though I got a good hit-rate, it's just depressing).

Oldyoung said:
Somehow ending up as an adult who doesn't have his honeysuckle together.

I didn't get the life lessons that others get in their teens, and I don't see how I can catch up.

A sober question: What do these omnious 'life lessons' consist of?

Latest posts

Back