When you start being unable to talk to the one person you could always talk to

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2349

Reaction score
/long title
In a nutshell, my mom was always the one person I could talk to. She was the one person who was there for both of what I affectionately term the 'before' and 'after' periods of my life, so it makes sense. But it seems like, for the past year or two, we've been slowly getting to the point where we can't.. understand each other. Can't even really talk, except when I'm repeating the same old sad-rant about my problems, or when she's literally listing the ingredients she's using in tonight's dinner. Literally. I know part of it is 'growing up' (I'm twenty hahaaa.... D: ), and that relationships wane every now and then, but.. what can I say. Makes that feeling of disconnectedness from the rest of the world feel that much more acute.

Yeah so that sucks. I'm moving soon... So I haven't been able to get too attached to anyone here, because there wasn't any point. I hope things will change because everyone needs someone to talk to, and not just about the weather.. Anyone else going through this? It bites.

I think it probably is part of growing up. You change as a person, so the way you connect with other people also changes. But that doesn't mean you won't be close to your mum again. I think it's good that you are still talking, even though it doesn't seem you're talking about anything really meaningful.

I understand the feeling. Me and my best friend have been torn apart. I can't even talk to her without feeling like a stranger anymore, so I suppose I can't really call her my best friend. She just...found someone else to be with, someone who was funnier, more confident, everything. It makes me cry sometimes, especially considering she keeps 'wanting to get close again', but every time I look at her, she gives me this longing look and disappears before I can even speak to her. /sighs

I just bottle up the feelings like usual.

Shinzoku said:
I understand the feeling. Me and my best friend have been torn apart. I can't even talk to her without feeling like a stranger anymore, so I suppose I can't really call her my best friend. She just...found someone else to be with, someone who was funnier, more confident, everything. It makes me cry sometimes, especially considering she keeps 'wanting to get close again', but every time I look at her, she gives me this longing look and disappears before I can even speak to her. /sighs

I just bottle up the feelings like usual.

Easily the most depressing thing I've heard in a while.

Want me to spell it out for you why you shouldn't give a rat's ass about her?

I'm so sorry Shinzoku *hugs* You know what? You deserve a better friend, someone who isn't going to bail on you like this. Whatever one is going through, its not fair to just abandon someone without at least explaining things properly. I hope you meet someone who will appreciate you soon.

altghost, like what most of the members here have said, its something that's very natural. Its sad when it happens with someone you're close to, but sometimes we go through phases of disconnect and then find our way back. Maybe right now, you have to find other people to connect with for different reasons, but its good that you still have your mum around, at least for times when you just need some support. In fact, sometimes we need to detach from everyone to kind of connect with a certain part of ourselves, which is kind of a normal process for many around your age, so hang in there =)

Veruca said:
I'm so sorry Shinzoku *hugs* You know what? You deserve a better friend, someone who isn't going to bail on you like this. Whatever one is going through, its not fair to just abandon someone without at least explaining things properly. I hope you meet someone who will appreciate you soon.

altghost, like what most of the members here have said, its something that's very natural. Its sad when it happens with someone you're close to, but sometimes we go through phases of disconnect and then find our way back. Maybe right now, you have to find other people to connect with for different reasons, but its good that you still have your mum around, at least for times when you just need some support. In fact, sometimes we need to detach from everyone to kind of connect with a certain part of ourselves, which is kind of a normal process for many around your age, so hang in there =)

Lol I wish it was normal. It's not normal to be unable to connect with anyone for roughly 8 years. That's why it's all the more difficult. Trust me, I've had more than enough time to connect with myself lol. But thanks for the sentiment

Sometimes I do question the same thing. What do you do when you start feeling like you can't talk to the person you could always talk to?

Is it them? Is it me? Who is it? What changed? What if there wasn't anything wrong, then what?

Sighs.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I don't even know what to say anymore to people cause I'm so easily upset lately. Than whenever I do talk, I felt like I could tell them how I felt and than after awhile once I noticed something changed I end up feeling like I did something wrong. Wonder is it me? Are they getting bored of me? Do they still care about me? Are they giving up on me? It's crazy how our minds work and what we say or do when were upset. It hurts when you lose that connection, trust me you're not alone.

As a mother I'd like to reassure you that my 3 children all seemed to move away emotionally at your age. (One's still there!) It will pass, it's all part of growing up and becoming independent. I'm confident that you'll soon regain that wonderful relationship that you and she have shared in the past.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I don't even know what to say anymore to people cause I'm so easily upset lately. Than whenever I do talk, I felt like I could tell them how I felt and than after awhile once I noticed something changed I end up feeling like I did something wrong. Wonder is it me? Are they getting bored of me? Do they still care about me? Are they giving up on me? It's crazy how our minds work and what we say or do when were upset. It hurts when you lose that connection, trust me you're not alone.

Thanks. That actually sounds a lot like what I'm dealing with.

altghost said:
WallflowerGirl83 said:

Thanks. That actually sounds a lot like what I'm dealing with.

Yeah. Me too.

I'd be lost without a relationship with my son. Lately he doesn't chat as much but I just take it that he's working at present. I did notice he doesn't chat as often like there's nothing much to talk about tho. Sometimes kids outgrow the parent and move on with their lives, hope that is not the case or I'd really be alone.

Latest posts

Back